Applying rectogesic - it's difficult and painful!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Applying rectogesic - it's difficult and painful!

Postby Sika » 01 Jan 2012, 07:28

Okay, so the last couple of days have been unbearably painful. The pain has been around all day, even my coccyx is hurting and today it seems to radiate to the top of my thighs and up to my back as well. I guess it's spasming all day? I've not had the spasms like others describe - all day and unbearable. So, today I decided to try the rectogesic. It's been months since I've been prescribed it, but I've been afraid of the headaches (silly I know, but I've been too busy to risk a day off work).
Anyway, I put clingwrap on my finger and tried to insert it as described. But - it hurts to try put anything up. I feel like I can't do it. It felt almost like there is some sort of lump in the way, but I don't know if that's just the skin tag getting in the way, or something to do with the other lump that has appeared that I'm guessing is a hemmoroid. It feels like something different though. Anyway, now with the cream (around the outside - I couldn't really go up into the canal), I can't touch it more or have a proper look because it would go on my fingers right?
All that aside, all instructions seem to ignore the fact that a finger up the anus is incredibly painful. How have others done it??
Sika
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Applying rectogesic - it's difficult and painful!

Postby Davo » 01 Jan 2012, 16:22

Hello Sika,
I am currently using the 0.4% rectogesic (GTN) and have been for about 4 weeks now. I like you was nervous at first as I head read all the horror stories of severe headaches.
When I first started using it I started on a half dose and built my way up to the full 2.5cm as that way I could gauge how bad the headaches would be. Luckily I only suffered from a mild throbbing headache - after three days of use I no longer got the headaches.
So this is how I use it:
1. When I first wake up I rub Vaseline around the entrance to help lubricate things for my toilet visit
2. After the toilet visit I wipe with cotton wool dipped in warm water
3. I then jump in the bath for 20 minutes
4. When I am about to apply the GTN I place a mirror on the floor and squat above it as that way I can see exactly where I need to apply the ointment
5. I cover my smallest finger in cling film and put the whole dose on the end of my finger
6. I then slowly push the finger in up to my knuckle - as the GTN is on the end of my finger it acts as a lubricant when the finger is going in
7. I then lay down for 10 minutes in case of headaches or dizziness
I have read people say to just apply a small amount externally if it hurts too much however it does need to be applied internally to work correctly. Another way would be to place a small amount at a time on a cotton bud (Q-tip) and apply it internally that way.
Hope that is of some use
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sika » 01 Jan 2012, 18:42

Thank you davo - really helpful.
I need to find some vaseline and try that trick. I did have a sitz bath before this morning's application. But I didn't have a mirror. I guess trying to see what is going on would help. I will try a cotton bud rather than my finger. It just hurts too much. I use breathing techniques to get things out, but they don't work in reverse. Though, having had a look in the morror this evening, things look really raw and sore all over (see my other post). Anyway, I only used a tiny bit externally this morning. No headache, some slight light-headedness.
Sika
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby dwarfs8 » 01 Jan 2012, 19:39

hi Sika, u may use the GTN externally, that's what my CRS told me. That way, most likely u won't get headaches too. Try to use this cream for 8 weeks, even if there's no more pain.
Get ur CRS to check your lump, only he can differentiate between a skin tag and a hemorrhoid.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Davo » 02 Jan 2012, 03:53

Sika,
I use the mirror to help gauge where to put my finger otherwise i may end up stabbing the fissure! Also make sure you dont strain on the toilet, let everything come naturally and make sure you relax - sometimes i have to sit there over ten minutes!
dwarfs8,
There are a few types of GTN - the 0.2% is to be used externally, the 0.4% rectogesic is meant to be used internally to work correctly.
Davo

Postby Sue27uk » 04 Jan 2012, 07:08

HI Sika, I found it difficult to apply cream at first too. I think the key is perseverance! I used it for 6 months until I had botox in november. Sorry I can't be more help, I just used the clingfilm. As the muscle starts to relax it will become easier :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby JayBee » 14 Jan 2012, 17:04

Well after a catastrophic week of pain and no immediate referral to the surgeon in sight, I ended up in EAU of my local hospital last night. I am home again now after getting kept in overnight and the surgeon didn't feel the need to anaesthetise me and do an investigation.
I have however come out with milk of magnesia, senna and the famed GTN I have been reading about. I have just applied my first dose of GTN and have a bit of a headache but after a crappy night's sleep in the hospital, I hope I can sleep off the headache.
Definitely feels easier today although a long road ahead. Going to try your routine Davo although a try to put Scheriproct on before a BM to help relax the muscle.
I have been recommended to increase my fibre although I thought I was getting quite a bit in. What do you guys find works the best?
Hope I haven't hijacked the thread. I jumped into this one as I have even prescribed the rectogesic too. :-)
JayBee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Davo » 15 Jan 2012, 04:42

Hello jaybee,
I hope the GTN works for you - you will find after a few days (providing you don't get headaches) it will be easy to apply and just become a simple routine.
As for fibre - yes increase your consumption but don't overdo it as it will bulk your stools and give you gas!
Remember to drink lots and lots of water when increasing fibre content - things that work for me are porridge or bran flakes, baked beans, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta, lentil soups - basically make sure the food you eat is generally soft so avoid nuts, crisps, etc. I have also found when eating things such as meat you need to chew it a lot to break down its size before digestion otherwise it will just come out bigger.
Davo
Davo

Postby JayBee » 15 Jan 2012, 05:09

Hi Davo. Thanks for the reply. Well after 2 applications of GTN now, I can confirm I am getting the headaches but also my heart is racing a little. I am going to persevere though as I am already getting some relief. The headaches are manageable when balanced against the pain from the spasms.
I have been eating porridge for a while now for breakfast and tend to follow it up with whoemeal toast if I am still hungry. I have to chew all my food well these days as the reduced size of my stomach frollowing my surgery means that not chewing well makes for a lot of discomfort.
Trying hard on the water front but I can't really gulp so I have to sip all day and so often I forget :)
JayBee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Davo » 15 Jan 2012, 06:42

The headaches and racing heart are side effects and these should simmer away after a few days. If the racing heart gets worse stop applying the GTN and speak with your doctor.
Porridge is great - i also notice you are in the UK. I swear by the Tesco fresh soups (finest range) and have virtually lived on these for the past few months! My weight has also decreased from around 13.5 stone to 12 stone.
How i manage to drink the right amount of water is to drink a glass every hour that i am at work. If you work for 8 hours then in an average sized glass you will have consumed about 2 litres. Or buy a 750ml of water and once you have drank it all thenr refil it and drink it again and this will make sure you drink the right amount.
I also take 3x Ducoease stool softeners a day, 1x 250mg magnesium tablet and one sachet of Movicol. These all ensure that the BM is kept at a toothpaste type softness (Sorry for the detail)
Davo