The countdown to surgery is on. 6 days to go and anxious!!!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

The countdown to surgery is on. 6 days to go and anxious!!!

Postby Sue1962 » 03 Jan 2012, 12:04

Hi all, haven't been on here much with the holidays and all. I hope each one of you had a wonderful and hopefully not too painful holiday!! Happy New Year!!! I am on the countdown to my surgery, and hopefully, new life on Monday, although I am ready and excited to get this done, I am also anxious!!! So many things are going through my head. My AF has been behaving marvelously until yesterday....out of the blue, spasms all day and it reminded me of why I am getting this done. When I had my sinus surgery I was a wreck for like 3 weeks before it was done. I am remaining very calm about this (for now) I just know after 3 years of healing and retearing and the past 8 months of horrible spasms, it is not ever going to heal on it's own. I am not scared of the surgery itself, just the 1st poop the next day and hoping that the pain is minimal. I don't like pain meds, they make me very sick...I guess just looking for words of encouragement and that I am doing the right thing. I just wish it was all over already and I was on the other side of this!!! Thanks for letting me vent. I am a wimp when it comes to me....LOL
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: The countdown to surgery is on. 6 days to go and anxious!!!

Postby wecc » 03 Jan 2012, 13:42

Hi Sue….I am going for my AD tomorrow. Funny after about 1 year of major on and off pain, the last week or so had been much less painful. It’s like a AF is a living breathing thing that known’s its days are numbered and its hiding out.
My feeling is, at this point my AF is not going to heal, I tried everything. So with that said, it leaves me two choices, either live with this pain for the next x amount of years, or just deal with this now. It is what it is. Good luck to you Sue…see you on the other side….
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Sue1962 » 03 Jan 2012, 17:02

Thanks Wecc!!! Good luck to you tomorrow!!! Yes, we are ringing in the new year with new butts...LOL!!! I hope all goes well with your AD tomorrow. When you are up to it let us know how you are doing Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Deleted User 579 » 03 Jan 2012, 17:58

Try not to worry, Sue! You will soon be on the other side and at the beginning of your healing journey. So far you have just been coping with pain. Very soon you will be moving forward and leaving the pain behind you.
The first BM is scary, I admit. But I'm sure you're going to be pleasantly surprised. For many of us it wasn't as bad as BMs before surgery. Just remember to take those stool softeners! You might want to have a back-up supply of MOM, in case the first BM is a bit slow in coming (MOM seems to really do the trick for that). The key to a good post-LIS BM is to relax, take deep yoga breaths, and let nature take its course.
I completely know how you feel! Butt surgery was the scariest thing I ever had to face. Image But I am so glad I did it! Life without pain is truly wonderful - you'll see! Soon all this will be a distant memory. Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Sue1962 » 04 Jan 2012, 06:21

Thank you so much Hope Image guess my brain is working overtime..I have read so many great outcomes on here and some not so good. It is the not so good ones that scare me. I guess this is all normal. I have had a few other surgeries, Appendectomy, sinus surgery, tubes tied, and had babies. I really fretted about the sinus surgery and that was really not that bad, but this is such a delicate area...LOL. I am ready like I said, just anxious, plus we have a 2 hour drive...I am sure it will all be worth it in the long run. This forum is so awesome it has really helped me to keep my sanity!!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Guest » 04 Jan 2012, 09:04

Good Luck Sue! I felt the same way before my surgery too. The "not so good ones" always stuck out in my mind... I don't know why it works that way!! Just think positive Sue:) Avoid any negative and think you are going to be in the 90 something % who heal and do well with this surgery! Remember more people who need support and have bumpy recoveries are much more likely to post and stick around. Remember there are many people who have this surgery every day and never post in a forum. I know I've mentioned this before, but when I had my surgery I found out about three other people in this little rinky dink town I live in,who had this surgery too- with success. It's more common then you would think and it has a great success rate. Hang in there! You're headed in the right direction :)

Postby BrokenBuckeye » 04 Jan 2012, 11:37

Time to show that fissure who's boss! It sounds like you are a surgery pro, so you will do fine. Think of how you feel now, and then visualize how much better you will feel in a week when you have regained control of your life! :D
Good luck!
BrokenBuckeye
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby Sue1962 » 04 Jan 2012, 12:10

Thank you so much for the encouraging words!!! I really needed that!!! Image I am sitting here in tears b/c perfect strangers are comforting me. Well, I guess were not that much of strangers, we talk about poop, pain and fissures...LOL I know I am doing the right thing. Anticipation is a b*tch!!! I am hoping I do feel much better in a week Buckeye.. BTW, how are you feeling?? Must be doing great by now!!! You guys are the best Image PS Dawn, I don't know what I would do without you!!! I told you before, you are the main reason for me going this route!!! I appreciate everything you have helped me with.
Last edited by Sue1962 on 04 Jan 2012, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Guest » 04 Jan 2012, 16:01

You're going to do great Sue! You are as prepared as a person can be which is going to put you on the fast track with healing. Just think of all the people who don't have the poop and diet thing figured out before surgery, or even have a clue that they need to for that matter.
You gave your fissure plenty of time to heal, and like Buckeye said you're taking control now. Just think in a couple of weeks you are going to be bouncing around in a bubble of joy with your new butt. Yeah all the healing takes time and it's not instant... No surgery is, but for me it wasn't anything like the hell of dealing with it before surgery. You got this! Image Image I have no doubt that you can handle the surgery! It's a piece of cake compared to dealing with the fissure!

Postby sterlingbird » 04 Jan 2012, 18:49

LOOK just that quick it is now 5 day's and counting. I wish you nothing but the best of luck. The two mistakes I made was to expect to be up and running in a week 2 tops. Did not happen but I am doing much better now (4 weeks). The other thing (and I see it alot on the board )was every time sometime I would have a a tough BM or feel a burn I would freak out." Oh my God I have messed things up". Then I would go to the doctor and he would say your a little swollen or irritated but you are fine. Take the time to heal and be good to your self.
sterlingbird
Salt Bather

Topics: 8