New to forum I had sphincterotomy 12/15 bleeding again!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New to forum I had sphincterotomy 12/15 bleeding again!

Postby letitsnow » 08 Jan 2012, 11:43

I am new to this forum. I really need your help. I had a sphincterotomy and repair of a chronic anal fissure on 12/15/11 that I had been suffering with & treating for over a year.
I thought surgery would be the answer. My surgeon said the first couple weeks of healing would be rough & rocky and they have been. I was constipated the first few days...so when I finally had my first bm after surgery my anus was spastic I had to go several times that day in small amounts so I was extremely sore & it was extremely painful. The bleeding was minimal.
At my one week check up the pain was still excruitiating with each bm, it felt just the same as before the surgery. The bleeding was over by then which was a good sign I thought.
I am also taking colace at bedtime, metamucil, drinking prune juice, sprinkling flax seed on my food, and stirring benefiber into my morning coffee to keep my stools soft.
After two weeks the pain isn't quite as intense but there was still pain. Finally after about 2 1/2 weeks the pain was finally bearable. I thought I had turned a corner. But I still cannot sit comfortably without my donut for more than a few minutes.
Now, it has been over 3 weeks bm's are still painful although bearable. But I still dread everyone of them! I don't have to bite down on something ever time I go now! But this am when I blotted with my wet wipe to my horror there was fresh blood!!! I actually cried!!! :(
I have a 3 week follow up with my surgeon at 10 am tomorrow. I was hoping to have good news to share with him now it is nothing but bad!
Has anyone else experienced this? I really thought surgery was the answer now I feel like I am back to square one!!! I just want to scream!!! Image
Thanks for listening or in this case reading this!
Letitsnow
letitsnow
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: New to forum I had sphincterotomy 12/15 bleeding again!

Postby grannymaria » 08 Jan 2012, 14:00

Hola Letitsnow- has ur doc confirm this pain is normal? I'm new here just got diagnosed last mth :( so I'm not too familiar with operation, but would ck n see what the doc says.. Take care n God willing u start feeling better
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby letitsnow » 08 Jan 2012, 15:07

I will ask him tomorrow. I appreciate your response even if you can't help me with your answer. That is why I got on this forum hoping others who have suffered from this condition & have gone thru this surgery could help me. Right now I am scared to death that this isn't a good sign!
I forgot to mention I have been doing sitz baths after every bm or every 8 hrs., too.
Please, Please I would like to hear from anyone that has gone through this surgery & has had any setbacks but the surgery was successful despite the setbacks???
Take Care,
Letitsnow
letitsnow
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 08 Jan 2012, 19:32

Hi Snow,
Sorry to hear you are still suffering. When you say you had your fissure repaired, do you mean a fissurectomy along with your LIS?
That seems to cause more discomfort then LIS alone sometimes....
I'm not sure if you are aware so please forgive me if you already are, but it's very important to stick with a fissure friendly diet while recovering and keep the stools soft as possible while healing.
You are definitely not the first to have set backs while healing. There are quite a few post in here where others had pretty bumpy recoveries and still eventually healed.

Postby letitsnow » 09 Jan 2012, 10:10

Dawn,
I guess that's what it was called. All I know is that he said he repaired the anal fissure...it was a lot bigger than he suspected and he used stitches to do it. He commented on the stitches on my one week check up.
Yes, I'm aware of the diet & keeping the stools soft. Before the surgery I was prone to diarrhea...& now it's like I can't keep them soft enough!!!
I have some other health problems...Auto Immune which might be why I'm having a hard time healing and also may have contributed to developing this darn anal fissure in the first place.
All I know I am sick & tired of the pain and sick & tired of being sick & tired.
Hopefully my doctor will give me some encouragment this morning.
Thanks Dawn. I really appreciate it!
Take Care,
Rita
letitsnow
Fibre Addict