Will this ever end?!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Will this ever end?!

Postby Sorebottoms » 15 Jan 2012, 04:00

Hi
I'm new to this forum and am so pleased to have found other people going through the same thing as me - makes me feel less of a disaster area! :D
I had my son in November 2009 and since then I have suffered from recurrent AFs - I just can't seem to knock it on the head. My son's birth was quite traumatic but the doctors tell me that although the AF arrived at the same time it wasn't caused by the birth - so a mystery then! I ws originally misdiagnosed with hemeroids (doctor didn't bother to even examine me) but then correctly diagnosed about 6 months later. I've tried change of diet and various creams but nothing has worked. Then I had surgery to mend the tear - tore again straight afterwards. I've then had two lots botox injections under general anaesthetic but they haven't worked either. I've had some horrible tests - flexible sigmoidoscopy and two where I had to empty my bowel in a room full of people while they took pictures of my insides working (or not as the case would be - stagefright!). :oops:
I'm going for more tests on Wednesday and am truely depressed about the whole thing. I'm not getting anywhere, despite putting myself through all these horrible tests. They are going to do something with a balloon on Wednesday - great(!)
I suspect the AFs might be linked with my periods but this hasn't been explored at all.
Has anyone got any other ideas for what might work? I'll try anything. Just want to be rid of the pain whenever I have a BM.
Arghhhhhhhhh! :(
Sorebottoms

Topics: 1

Re: Will this ever end?!

Postby grannymaria » 15 Jan 2012, 10:32

I feel ur pain sweetie - pls read on posts that members here have so lovingly shared to help us newbies in this painful journey . God bless u
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Guest » 15 Jan 2012, 12:39

Hi sorebottoms I'm new here this week so no advice but just wanted to say I know how you feel my af happened around giving birth to my daughter in August 2010 my surgeon said it prob occured during labour but not sure. I found my labour traumatic, though it was a breeze really compared to a lot of women but for me giving birth was traumatic in itself maybe that's what caused my af I dunno. But just wanted to let you know your not alone. Xx

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 15 Jan 2012, 13:01

Hi, sorebottoms -
Could the balloon procedure possibly be an AD (anal dilation)?
There's someone on our forum who had a very good experience with that - and there have been others who've had good experiences with LIS (surgery).
I haven't had either - but I SO TOTALLY sympathize with your nightmare! I've been struggling with an AF recurrence, and it's been awful. --- I hope you find some comfort here by talking with those of us who have suffered or are still suffering.
Please hang in there! One thing about the diet change, creams, etc. - it takes quite awhile to get through any type of improvement. Sometimes even then, nothing works. But, try sticking to a strict, AF-friendly diet - because if nothing else, you'll get rid of the junk you might be eating.
I was eating alot of sugar, fatty food, etc. - but now I've quit all of that. Yes, I'm still battling the fissure, but I've dropped some weight, and I know I'm eating better.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Sorebottoms » 15 Jan 2012, 14:56

Thanks for your support guys. I'm so pleased I found this forum - I thought I was the only one. I'm sorry anyone else is suffering too but it does (bizarrely) make you feel better to know you aren't alone :)
My procedure on Wednesday is called an "ano-rectal physiology test" and it seems to be more test than treatment. I'm so fed up of tests - the last bout I had no one even looked at the results as my consultant changed and the new one said the tests wouldn't tell him what he wanted to know. Great(!) Apparently this time they are going to insert a tube which I have to grip with my internal muscles as they remove it, then a balloon which they inflat inside and I have to describe three different sensations, and then finally an ultrasound probe. Compared to some tests on reflection it doesn't sound too bad (apart from the inevitable indignity and embarrassment) but I am worried as I have a bad tear at the moment and my bottom is so sore. I don't really want them poking around there at all! Still, I've had to wait nearly 6 months for this appointment so I'd best not complain or they might put me to the back of the list! Image
I've been doing Slimming World of late and I do like the high fibre diet they promote - it has certainly helped and, as you say Sweet Bugaboo, the weight loss is a wonderful bonus!
Fedupofthepain - I too found childbirth a total nightmare so am sending much sympathy your way. I was in labour for three days before I ended up with an emergency c section. Argh - as if birth isn't enough to get over we now have to deal with this too! I'd like to have another baby and have been told I'd have to be a c section next time (which is frankly a relief!) but I'm worried about another pregnancy when I still have the recurrent AF. How can I put myself in a position of not being able to have any medical treatment for the AF, not knowing how my body will cope with another pregnancy?!
Life is very hard sometimes :)
Thank you for your supprt - much appreciated xx
Sorebottoms

Postby Guest » 15 Jan 2012, 15:50

Sorebottoms see your labour was scarier than mine, 3 days wow see I'm a total whimp mine was 7 and a half hours, nothing scary like v sections or anything that bad but I had pre eclampsia and my blood pressure went sky high dangerously so, we lost the heart beat at one point for a good 5/10 mins finely my husband realised the midwife had pulled the wires accidently then the epidural failed so did it all on gas and air and I'm rubbish with pain a real baby. Then the stitches and infectiond and this fussure, we've decided we don't want anymore babys, we always wanted 2 but after the birth and fissures me and hubby both said we don't want to go through it all again

Postby Sorebottoms » 15 Jan 2012, 16:41

That's so sad. I know how horrible birth can be - and you're not a whimp :) . Is there anything you could do to make it bearable? I went back to the hospital for counselling after birth trauma (which was helpful) and as a result of that I have a new plan for a second birth. A planned c section, so no trauma, pain or stress. On that basis I figure I can face it again. After three days of natural labour the c section for me was a positive step - I was terrified of the thought prelabour but just relieved afterwards. The unknown is scary though....you just never know. I think it was the lack of control and safety of labour which terrified me - never again! Once I get the AF sorted......
Whenever that will be!
All the best x
Sorebottoms

Postby Sue1962 » 15 Jan 2012, 17:22

Hi sorebottoms, sorry you have been through so much. The test they are going to do is to check the resting pressure in your sphincter. You must be having spasms terribly. Or I don't know where you live, but it seems they do this in other countries more than the US to "gauge" if a person is a candidate for LIS. I don't get it, if you have a chronic fissure that conservative measures won't heal, why not do the surgery. Sounds like you had a fissurectomy the only thing with that is if you are having spasms even though they cut it out and sew it up, another can come or the orginal can retear. I don't understand why they didn't do the two together Image Are you taking Miralax or Movicol??? It is truely a life saver!!! I suffered for 3 years and wish I found it sooner. It really does help with the BM's. Sounds like you are doing good with the diet, I think we all have lost weight with this best, but for me it was a good thing I have lost 25lbs and love my new figure, but what a way to do it...LOL Hang in there and hope you feel better soon.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 15 Jan 2012, 17:31

Sue, I'm wondering about Miralax, in place of Colace . . .?
If I were to do that, would I still need the Konsyl, in your opinion?
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Sue1962 » 15 Jan 2012, 17:47

I would definately get rid of the Colace and start the Miralax!! Colace worked for me but only short term, I was taking 6 a day and they didn't help at all. Everyone is different, I don't take any fiber supplements they constipate me, If you eat enough high fiber foods, I get 20-25 grams a day and drink your water, you shouldn't need it.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36