The good, the bad, and the ugly

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: The good, the bad, and the ugly

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 21 Jan 2012, 21:44

Sue, are there any side-effects from taking Miralax? I guess I should look it up . . .
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Sue1962 » 22 Jan 2012, 13:53

My CRS told me I could take it forever as long as it worked for me. It is very gentle. There are side effects with everything, it just depends on the person. I think I have read that a few people on here can't take it, it gives them major diarrhea and stomach cramps. I have never had any. Thank God. It was my life saver for pain free BM's. I have cut the dose since my surgery to 3/4 of a cap and hopefully in a couple of months I will be off of it.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 22 Jan 2012, 14:47

Sue, I have an extremely sensitive system. The Miralax has worked - but I'm wondering if it's thrown me off, a bit.
I'm allergic to penicillin, sulfur-based drugs - and with anything I ingest, it always hits my doubly hard, than with other people. I can't have more than one drink of alcohol (not that I care to drink, really), or else I'm under the table. My skin is sensitive and always reacts to things . . . in short, I just have this weird type of a sensitive system.
So, I've held off the Miralax for a couple of days -- but I'm seeing my gp tomorrow (just for some pain meds or some type of sedative , so that I can make it through this mess, until I feel better) . . .
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 22 Jan 2012, 15:29

Maybe try it every other day. Or if your not having any problems with hard BM's then you may not need it. I alway did have somewhat hard ones,but then again, I never ate a whole lot of fiber, and now that I am. I am not having any problems.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 22 Jan 2012, 17:21

I'm still taking the Konsyl and am back on the Colace (just to give the Miralax a rest, for a day or two).
No pun intended, I just want this all behind me.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby dntwrrybhppy » 24 Jan 2012, 23:39

Still doing good with the Miralax. It still hurts but not nearly as bad as it did before.. My AF are still getting ingured everytime I go but much less than before when my stools were large and hard lumps.
I've been reading some posts about the AD procedure. I am hoping to find a CRS in my area that knows how to do this and get it done as soon as possible. If anyone knows if one in the Central Valley of California please let me know:)
dntwrrybhppy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Jan 2012, 23:45

dntwrry, I'd like to know, too. I'm also a CA resident.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 25 Jan 2012, 06:15

I hope you all find one closer, than NY. I guess just research. I will ask my CRS if he knows of any drs that do this anywhere.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 25 Jan 2012, 11:56

Yesterday I called up to SF - and I got ahold of one (female) crs - not that I care if it's a woman doc or not - and the gal in there said that the doc has a very good success rate with AFs, but she does not advocate S.A.D.
Now, I don't know if that's just because our crs's here in the U.S. aren't trained in that procedure, or, if it's because that procedure is frowned on for other reasons.
At any rate, I'll see my 3rd crs tomorrow and pick his brain about all of this. I'm getting a little tired of seeing all these doctors . . .
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 25 Jan 2012, 19:45

I am thinking b/c they are not trained and to be trained they would have to go away and leave their practice and patients. I am sure training is very intense and not just done overnight.. I don't know, but I will let you know what I find out. I will call my CRS tomorrow, and BTW SB, good luck with your appt tomorrow. I hope you can finally get some kind of answers!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist