The good, the bad, and the ugly

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

The good, the bad, and the ugly

Postby dntwrrybhppy » 18 Jan 2012, 01:30

Thank you for listening and thank you for sharing.
I am a 20 year old female college student. I work as a hostess at a restaurant. My first experience with hemorrhoids was when I was 17 after having a UTI infection. Having a BM is worse than what I believe childbirth will be like for me. My body gets tense, my hands and feet go numb, and then I grab on and brace my self for hell. After 3 years of enduring this I've stopped crying. I mostly cry afterwards when I feel depressed. I now have AFs. I haven't seen a doctor since I was 17 but I am going to see a GI in a couple of weeks. I am tired of suffering. I have to say we are some of the strongest people on earth. To experience that kind of pain without anyone's understanding and then try to go about your life as if nothing is wrong...we have to have some kind of greater strength. It sucks that the pain is not only in the bathroom but then lingers on throughout the day. Every step, every chair I sit on, every car ride is a challenge. After reading some posts on here I feel a little bit stronger and feel like there is hope. I just hope I haven't waited too long. I wish I could show you what I look like down there and get some opinions but I don't want to scare anyone. It's like I've got a little monster on my butt lol
Hey, at least my sense of humor is still here. I'm excited to take this journey with all of you and keep you updated on anything new. The good the bad and the ugly right:)
dntwrrybhppy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: The good, the bad, and the ugly

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Jan 2012, 06:21

Hey DWBH
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you are suffering so and for so long at such a young age. I am so surprised to see how many young people are here!!! I have been on here for many months and I thought it was middle aged people that suffer. I too, suffered for 3 years, a miserable, long 3 years...with the past 8 months being the absolute worse.
You mention you are going to a GI Dr. If you can find a CRS, If I may, I would recommend you go there. Many of us started our journey with GI's and GP's and they just don't get it. The give you an Rx for some creams and tell you to take a softener. With you being in pain for 3 yrs and suffering for so long and the little monster you talk about, sounding like a skin tag, your fissure is chronic. Usually, a chronic fissure will not heal without some sort of intervention.
I don't know if you have been using Nito cream or diltiazem, to help with the spasms. First, I would try a good softener, Miralax is what most of us take here, it really softens things and makes the BM's bearable in time. Also, 20-25 grams of fiber a day with a lot of water, watch the sharp and hard to pass foods, and spicy is not good either, along with soaks in a nice warm tub a few times a day for like 20 minutes. Advil seems to take the edge off of things too. I am sure after suffering for 3 years you have some kind of routine in place, but thought I would share what works for many of us.
You are absolutely right, we are people of a greater strength. Nobody knows how we live every single day, unless they have experienced the pain we suffer on a daily basis. You have a great attitude toward it all. I hope you start to feel better soon.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Sue1962 » 18 Jan 2012, 06:23

BTW, I forgot to mention, I had LIS on the 9th and I feel like dancing again!!! Best thing I ever did. No pain, no spasm. Finally after 3 years, I am feeling like my old pre fissure self.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Savaici » 18 Jan 2012, 08:17

Welcome! You have come to the right place (though wish like me that didn’t have to), and there are many here either on the same road as you (me) or others (many), who have gone through surgery of various kinds and are healed. Research research research is the best advice I can give!! Read what others have written under the different headings on the forums, ask questions (we are not doctors, but most of use have a lot of research under our belts).
I totally agree with Sue1962 that it is better to see a colon and rectal surgeon (CRS) rather than a GI. I only figured that one after wasting money on 2 GIs, so to speak. Just because they are surgeons, it does not mean that they immediately put you into surgery.
Also, research the CRS; there is a list on here for doctors, though not very advance, but heading in the right direction. There are quite a few options on the internet, depending of course on where in the world you are.
There is truly a lot of information here, and if you want to see what others have written, you only have to go to the Member List, click on the name you are interested in, and you will see what links they have started on here. Hope that is some help. :)
And again, welcome to the forum!! We are here for you.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby workingonit » 19 Jan 2012, 10:14

Hi dwbh,
I agree with Sue and Savaici. You see a GI when you have digestion problems or swallowing problems. So unless your hemorrhoids and fissures stem from an ongoing digestion problem, I would suggest a CRS as being more appropriate.
If you live in Canada you can google CSCRS (Canadian Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons)(cscrs.ca) and ask your GP to refer you. If you live in the States, you don't need the referral and can just make an appointment yourself (unless your insurance requires a referal, but they usually don't now-a-days). In the States it is the ASCRS (fascrs.org).
Not sure about other places.
You are braver than me looking down there. I've only looked once in the last year! I have always been squeemish. It's silly I know. Just can't bring myself to do it.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby dntwrrybhppy » 19 Jan 2012, 23:29

Thanks for the replies. Sad to say but it's great not to be alone in this.
I totally agree. I need to see a CRS!!! I didn't even know those existed. I'm so excited because I've read so many surgery successs stories already! I had a colonoscopy when I was 17 and it was pointless. He ended up saying I have either IBS or Chrohn's Disease and then gave me the boot. That's why I kinda gave up on getting help. Just thought I would have to suffer.
In my suffering I've learned what foods do good and which ones do bad. I drink a ton of water. I have vicodin for the pain which I know makes constipation worse but I just can't go to work or school without it. For constipation I've been using mineral oil which lubricates things and then Ducolax if I'm really desperate. Ducolax usually has a sort of violent effect so I don't use stool softeners as much as I'd like to. I just bough Miralax today:) Hopefully it will actually make my poop soft instead of forcing me to push out the hard stuff.
I'm having a bad week. I haven't been going regularly so I'm extremely constipated:( I think my insides have stretched out to accomodate all the stool so my urge to go becomes less and less which is horrible. I've been going a tiny bit everyday. My stool is dark and very hard.
I hate it when I do this to myself...I get too scared to go and let my body get used to not going. I actually end up feeling pretty great because it gives my fissures and hemorrhoids time to heal. It's a vicious little cycle because then once I go it's sooo hard which tears my butt up all over again. I need to focus on keeping my stool as soft as possible so I can heal and go regularly. I've got to find a balance.
dntwrrybhppy
Fibre Addict

Postby Sue1962 » 20 Jan 2012, 06:17

The Miralax really should help you with that. Makes things nice and soft and easier to pass. It is hard to realax during a BM when you know you are going to be in pain for the rest of the day. Miralax can take a few days to really kick in and do what is supposed to, but when it does it is heaven. Also, try not to push. I was a pusher my whole life. Now I just wait until it is ready, relax take a couple of deep breaths and let things happen. Sometimes I initially have to push, just a little bit to get things started but not hard at all then everything falls into place. Drink lots of water with the miralax, it's what makes it work. It won't give you the violent episodes you get with the Dulcolax. Good luck. Hopefully, you will get some relief soon.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby grannymaria » 20 Jan 2012, 13:31

Hi sweetie - just like Sue says - do not push or strain! this will only make it worse :*(
I've been reading a lot of posts here that have helped me in this journey :*(.. I myself am undergoing chemotherapy :( and now this fissure pain :(.. but have been following alot of the advice from here.. God bless you and plz keep reading and learning as I have..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby dntwrrybhppy » 21 Jan 2012, 12:43

Good luck grannymaria! You're in my prayers. Yes I've learned that straining is the worst thing to do. It's hard not to tho when you just want to get everything out. I am so thankful for this place. It has given me hope and reminds me that I am not alone.
Hallelujah! My first solid, long, and soft poop since I can't even remember after 2 days of Miralax. Just happened and I though I'd share the wonderful news. After using Ducolax I thought that's how they all were and was too scared to use stool softeners. It seems like everyone here swears by Miralax so I went out and bought it right away. I am so happy and relieved :D
dntwrrybhppy
Fibre Addict

Postby Sue1962 » 21 Jan 2012, 19:56

Miralax is great stuff!!! Works like a charm!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist