this sucks! :( AF and skin tag

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

this sucks! :( AF and skin tag

Postby abc » 23 Jan 2012, 15:18

I've learned so much from everyone here so far...thank you!!! I have been suffering terribly from my AF for about a month and a half now. I'm quite sure I have had them before, but on a WAY smaller scale. I have felt the glass shard feel during a BM before, but not anything like now, and never with with the pain after. Out of no where, it completely came on in the beginning of the past December and at this point, after a BM, I am usually in agony for anywhere from a couple of hours up to an entire day. I have nifedipine, antibacterial supositories, and valium. None of that helps one bit. I do take warm baths, and sometimes that provides some relief, but it's only temporary. I called my CRS and she said there was nothing else she could give me or do until my next appt which is feb 15th. She said if it's not better by then, then she is thinking botox next....but after reading all of this, I'm thinking I may not want to even bother with it and go straight to LIS. I also now know that I have a skin tag...it's actually quite large! I definitely want that gone! Anyway....just wanted to introduce myself as I am laying here on my sofa not moving since this morning!! having missed a class because I couldn't walk around for more than 3 minutes at a time. :( Going for a second opinion tomorrow. :(
abc

Topics: 3

Re: this sucks! :( AF and skin tag

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Jan 2012, 19:29

Hi, abc -
We feel your pain. Today has been a horrible day for me, too - just raw, sore, nightmarish agony.
In my case, I'm thinking that - in addition to the AF - I have some sort of skin burning/sensitivity, as a result of using one of the ointments prescribed to me by the first crs I saw.
Anyhow - you're in the right place. The people here are nice, and we all know what you're going through. Sometimes it just helps to know that there are others out there who can truly understand this misery, because not everyone does.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 23 Jan 2012, 19:57

Hey abc,
welcome, but sorry you are here.
Glad you are getting a second opinion. I think if I'm not better by end of Feb. I will do the same. The CRSs seem to have more variety in their opinions than you would think reading the general information on AFs on the web.
Did you read about the botox here? I might have to go that route. I have an anterior fissure, and supposedly the LIS success rates aren't as good with those. But Sue1962 just had LIS and her's is an anterior fissure, so success can still come from that route.
The pain seems to have a lot to do with the spasms, as I'm sure you've read.
Have you tried a heating pad?
Hope you get some relief soon!
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby workingonit » 23 Jan 2012, 20:14

Oh yah,
Are you doing the whole fibre and stool softener thing?
Lots and lots of water?
I do metamucil twice a day and a spoonful of olive oil at night.
But a lot of people here like miralax.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby grannymaria » 24 Jan 2012, 15:21

Hang in there ABC - keep trying the soft food/stool softener/fiber/water intake - to make the stools soft - this way it does help it heal sweetie..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Jan 2012, 15:35

woi and granny - you're both so right about the water. My internist told me yesterday (I was there to get some sedatives and sleeping pills, while I cope with this nightmare) that I wasn't drinking nearly enough water. He said that I should drink at least 4-5 16-oz. bottles of water, daily.
So, if we multipy 4 by 16, we get . . . 64 oz. That's right - a whopping 64 oz. of water - and if we spend about 16 hours awake during the day, we would divide that 64 by 16 to get . . . 4 oz. of water per hour. My gp said that with that much water, my urine should almost look clear. He said to watch the urine color, to make sure I'm getting enough water.
Okay. So, now I'm drinking all that water - enough to float a boat. I just hope it helps.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 25 Jan 2012, 06:22

Hey ABC and welcome. This forum has tons of great info!!! Sorry you are suffering. Yes, water is essential!!! you must drink at least 64oz and eat lots of fiber. I can say Miralax is a life saver and even though I have had surgery, I will continue it for at least 6 more weeks. I have cut the dose but not ready to give it up. I don't know what the antibacterial supp. are or what will do. I haven't seen anyone on here who uses them. Good luck with yout appt
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Savaici » 25 Jan 2012, 10:08

I mix organic virgin olive oil in with my food every day, with the hope that it will help. I also do the lying around on the sofa bit to relieve the pain of spasms. What we go through!
I don't drink so much water as 64oz, but try to stay with what they say at the Mayo Clinic, as I am not that active. But, I do have about six tea cups worth a day, maybe a little more. Only water...and my coffee in milk in the morning.
This is the Mayo like about 'How much water should I drink'. Worth a look.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
Last edited by Anonymous on 25 Jan 2012, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Addition
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 25 Jan 2012, 12:03

Hi, savaici -
I think the reason my internist said to drink that much water is because I'm on stool softeners right now. Otherwise, I wouldn't think to drink this much water - but for now, I guess I'll keep trying it.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby grannymaria » 25 Jan 2012, 12:07

ABC - how u doing sweetie? Did you get a second opinion yet?
Sweetbugagoo: I know what u mean about drinking all this water - I'm bad about it especially in the winter time :( - once summer is here - I don't mind it..
Take care everyone and let's keep all in prayers.. Hugs
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13