Botox and Fissurectomy surg 2 wks ago. Crossing my fingers!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Botox and Fissurectomy surg 2 wks ago. Crossing my fingers!

Postby PITA » 25 Jan 2012, 12:59

Hi there- I'm new on this forum, and I've been dealing with fissures on/off for 6yrs. This last one has lasted 6 months and I just couldn't take the muscle spasm pain anymore. I resorted to Botox and fissurectomy to try a less permanent fix than the LIS because I have mild colitis- and didn't want to risk it. I'm not sure what I think yet. I'm dissapointed that the spasms haven't gone away entirely. I think they may be better, but not sure if it's more in my head because I have tried something more drastic (besides creams that never worked) to fix it. Saw my CRS on Monday, and he assured me it's normal for it to still spasm some- just not as bad, and will give the fissure a chance to heal. He says he sees a 60-70% success rate with Botox. I'm somewhat discouraged because I just can't take the pain anymore, and hoped to be spasm free. I do feel like the fissure might be healing a little this week finally. Now with the Botox I have to work even harder to get my BM's just right- not too hard, and now because of very reduced (but temporary- thank God!) muscle control, not too soft. It's been more of a challenge than expected. Can anyone else comment on their experience with doing the botox? Thanks!!
PITA
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Botox and Fissurectomy surg 2 wks ago. Crossing my fingers!

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 25 Jan 2012, 13:58

Hi, PITA -
I haven't had the Botox, myself, but I was just reading Sue27's account of hers.
Here's the link -
http://anal-fissure.org/t3895-botox-done-todayfingers-crossed
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby PITA » 25 Jan 2012, 15:49

Thanks! Yes, I've seen Sue27's posts too. I should comment on hers as well. Just looking for any more reassurance out there- especially from those who have it "behind them" (no pun intended! ha!)- meaning not still recovering from the procedure and they know if it either worked or not. Of course, I'm happy to hear from anyone who has helpful advice! :)
PITA
Fibre Addict

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 25 Jan 2012, 15:57

Well, PITA - if you think the fissure is healing, just keep at it.
It can be a lengthy process, sometimes. I'm 3+ months are trying to get mine healed. I'll see yet another crs tomorrow, just to get another opinion.
It's very hard to go through these backside problems - it's discouraging and depressing . . . but I keep hoping there's light at the end of this tunnel (no pun intended, either, lol).
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 25 Jan 2012, 19:30

Hi Pita
Sorry you are still having spasms. It can be a lenghty process for your spasms to stop since you didn't have LIS, the botox may work but it is not a permanent solution. LIS is permanant if it is done correctly. I have read there have been only a very few who have had to have LIS 2 times b/c the DR didn't cut enough the first time. I had LIS not b/c of my AF which I do have, but b/c the spasms were so bad and lasted all day. 2 weeks and 2 days ago I had LIS and I haven't felt this good in 3 years. I hope you do feel better soon, give the botox a chance to work!!
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 25 Jan 2012, 20:16

Hi, Sue -
How does a person know if a crs can do the surgery correctly? My 2nd crs said he's done alot of LIS's, with no incontinence - but he said I need time and fiber.
I have no idea what the crs will say tomorrow, but I intend on asking him alot of questions. I hope he listens and that I feel comfortable with him . . . I mean, I don't care if he has a great personality - I just hope I feel confident in him . . .
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby PITA » 26 Jan 2012, 20:21

Sweet Bugaboo- Thanks for the encouragement. It's been a long road- like you said depressing and discouraging. Hard to imagine that such a small thing can cause such pain! I hope yours stays healed! What did your crs say today? Good news i hope!
And Sue1962- if the botox doesnt work, then I will definitely consider LIS. My crs is afraid to do it on me because of my history of mild colitis. I'm sooooo worried about incontinence- especially in the unusual situation when you just get an upset stomach out of the blue. We're trying the botox first to see. Have you had any incontinence- either gas (that you couldn't control in public) or bm since your surgery? The botox hasn't been a walk in the park as far as that's concerned either. My crs used 100 units, so I had a few bouts of no control, but each day has improved. My friend had the LIS and said it worked great for her, but she wasn't sure she'd recommend it for me because I play competitive sports- and it might be a problem.
I will say (and I hate to even type this), that today has been better. Less spasm pain, and less fissure pain. My prob has always been the spasm pain- the pain of the actual fissure itself hurts, but nothing like the agonizing spasms that go on for hours and hours and make me just want to drive off a cliff!!!!! I also was the lovely recipient of some beautiful hemmorhoids (unusual for me) due to the recovery and constipation (also unusual for me) from the surgery. So, since I don't know much about them, I'm not sure if some of the pain is from the hemi's- though they are slowly shrinking. Any advice on how to deal with these??? I love this forum. Great information, and such thoughtful people! :)
PITA
Fibre Addict

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 26 Jan 2012, 20:38

Hi, again, PITA -
Well, it sounds like you're doing what you can to control things. Just try to hang in there. This is a tough journey we're on.
I like the crs I saw today. He seemed very comfortable talking at length with me (and my husband) about AFs - so, the end result of this (no pun intended) is that I'm scheduled to have LIS and a fissurectomy on Monday afternoon, assuming my blood work and pre-op tests are alright.
I'm so sick of this nagging pain - which sometimes spikes into absolute misery - that I want the situation corrected. I just hope for a smooth and uneventful recovery, with no complications.
I've had hemorrhoids, too, and mine usually haven't hurt that much - but lately, since I've been on so much stool softener, they haven't shown their ugly faces, lol.
Anyhow - I do hope you'll be better and better, with each passing day. I hope we all will. HUGS!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 28 Jan 2012, 19:40

Hey Pita
To answer your question. I have never had incontinece. I did have "oh I better go to the bathroom" LOL I increased my Miralax to 2 caps after surgery and did that for a few days, I had tons of gas, and with the increased Miralax I just went and sat down on the toilet to make sure it was just gas. Sometimes it was sometimes it wasn't. That was only while I increased my Miralax. Once I was eating everything in sight and back to 1 cap a day...No problem. I can say, I wish I had done this 2 years ago. I wasted so much time trying to heal my fissure and being in pain.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby PITA » 30 Jan 2012, 15:57

Hi Sweet Bugaboo- so keep us posted on how you are doing after your surgery today (or maybe you have). I'm still learning how to navigate around this site! I am curious how the recovery is- good, bad, and ugly! I hope everything goes well for you, and that this finally anwers all your prayers!!!! :)
PITA
Fibre Addict