Date set for February 2nd....Help

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Date set for February 2nd....Help

Postby mimi40 » 26 Jan 2012, 05:37

Hello everyone,
I know I haven't posted in some time but this road has been crazy. I got my fissure back in August and I've tried everything from all the creams, ointments, high fiber taking everything under the sun to keep me going soft oh, and I also tried botox and nothing worked. I met with my new doctor Tuesday because the one I have been seeing doesn't believe in having the muscle cut. :( So new doctor to get use to but anyway I lost being shy around this way back when it started due to just wanting all the pain to stop. I do however need to ask this. This doctor told me he does not cut partial of the muscle he goes and and cuts the whole muscle. Umm, anyone had this and is there a higher possible rate for incontence after having the entire muscle cut? He had asked if I had had any questions at the time and I didn't but now I do. I called and he will not be in until Monday. I was hoping to hear from anyone who had this done in this way or has heard of it? Can't find it anywhere on the net about it being done like this. I dont want to call my other doctor who doesn't believe in this. Please let me know...and thank you. Image
mimi40
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Date set for February 2nd....Help

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 26 Jan 2012, 10:37

OMGosh. Well, hi, mimi -
I haven't had this done, yet - and I don't know much about it - but you really should go back in and thoroughly ask every, single question you have about this. Ask that doc how many LIS's he done, has any of his patients been incontinent, etc. It's YOUR body - ask, ask, ask. If you have to reschedule, because you need more time to think, then that's okay.
I just think the important thing is that you have all the information you need, before doing anything. That said, it seems that alot of people have been helped by the surgery. I'm considering it, myself - and I'm on my way to see my 3rd crs. First crs didn't see the fissures, 2nd did, but he said I need time and fiber . . .
Good luck, and we're here for you.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby workingonit » 26 Jan 2012, 12:19

mimi,
I would get a third opinion if you can.
Perhaps he could draw you a diagram of what he means?
my doctor doesn't believe in the surgery either.
That said, I have been reading how often a second round of botox does the trick. The first one doesn't quite get the muscle just right, but loosens it up so that the second one is more accurate. At least that's what another forum member's doc told her.
There is also the Standardized Anal Dilation that is available in the NY area. It has been getting better statistics than the botox, and is less invasive than the LIS.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby grannymaria » 26 Jan 2012, 12:32

Heidi: Image I can't believe he would cut the whole muscle! I would get another opinion as Sweetbug and WOI have said..
If only cutting a bit leaves some people with incontinence, I can't imagine having the whole muscle cut :(..
Take care sweetie.. May God heal us all..
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Sue1962 » 26 Jan 2012, 17:48

Hi I am not sure what the "whole muscle" consists of. I just had LIS almost 3 weeks ago and my CRS cut 5mm into it. I do not believe that is the whole muscle. I would definately get another opinion and ask. Most CRS do the 5mm cut b/c anymore could cause problems. I am thinking if the whole muscle is cut there is a greater chance of incontinence.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Savaici » 26 Jan 2012, 20:06

Hi,
On the link below is what the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons has to say. Cutting the entire muscle sounds drastic. I would speak to the doctor and and get a clear picture. Good luck!
http://www.fascrs.org/patients/conditions/anal_fissure/
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222