Nifedipine Side Effects

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nifedipine Side Effects

Postby workingonit » 29 Jan 2012, 10:58

Hey There,
So I've been noticing changes in myself over the last few weeks.
My menstrual periods are heavier. I have confirmed with my CRS that this can be a side effect of Nifedipine as it increases the blood flow in general.
But also, I have been having difficulty getting good night's rest. I often wake up to have a BM around 5:30 and used to be able to get back to sleep. But now even though I have tried meditation and listening to nature sounds (all the things that usually help), I am wide awake.
My anxiety has also increased. I thought that I was just anxious about my heavy mentruation, but my period is pretty much over yet I am still anxious.
I know insomnia is a side effect of anxiety, as I went through a bad patch of that last winter, recovering from Ativan.
It's about 10 days since the increase in dosage of the Nifedipine I use from 0.3% to 0.9%.
Has anyone else had increased anxiety and/or insomnia from Nifedipine?
It is all so frustrating. Image
I wonder if I should switch to nitro?
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: Nifedipine Side Effects

Postby Guest » 29 Jan 2012, 11:24

Woi...
I too have had anxiety and insomnia... In my case I feel like it's fissure related, sometimes due to pain, sometimes due the looming morning with the first visit to the bathroom and all that's going to mean ... but I don't rule any possibility out that it could be related to the nifedipine.
I did try nitro. awhile ago but with my migraines the headaches were unbearable, and I actually didn't feel like I got as strong an effect from it with sphincter relaxation.

Postby workingonit » 29 Jan 2012, 11:43

I forget Jr, Did you try botox?
I am wondering lately if I shouldn't just skip this topical stuff and go for that...
When I was recovering from the ativan, the anxiety was at it's worse around my times of menstruation. So I am hoping that it will abate over the next few days, if not I will have to call the doc.
I do think the fissure causes anxiety and it does make a good nights sleep consequentially harder to find. but the last week has been exponentially worse, when it should be better as I can feel the nifedipine making a difference...
-sigh-
some days it feels like it is always something.
I need to get out for a walk! make some new playlists for sleep on my ipod.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Savaici » 29 Jan 2012, 11:58

Hi workingonit. I have taken ativan for the spasms, but a very small amount, same for sleep. I use 0.75mg for sleep, and 0.12mg for spasms.
The Nifedipine sounds a high dose. I have never heard of it in that concentration, only 0.2%, but maybe they have increased it? I did find that what was IN the mixture did not agree with me, in my first lot, which was lidocaine and vaseline (I used to try to put it inside then, and it was awful for me). So, I got a different compound done by a pharmacy in Boston, and they put a gel like substance in it, and it was fine. I don't use it anymore as it really in the end did nothing.
I am not going to do Botox. I have read so many bad reports of it bring up hemmohroids and such after it, but if I was considering LIS I would go straight to that rather than having Botox. But, that is just me and my previous three visits to hell with hemmy surgeries...
I am so glad that I take Lorazapam to sleep. I am lucky that I can get by with a very small amount, and I am not worried about getting used to it and not being able to get off, as have gone down on it before. But, again, this is just me. I am way past periods, so don't have that problem!
If only could go for a walk! Those days are in the past, and hopefully in the future when all is sorted for me.
Best of luck!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby workingonit » 29 Jan 2012, 12:13

Hi sav,
I think it is a pretty high dose too. Not sure if less would be better though as the 0.3% didn't help much.
Ativan is a very strong benzo. They say that 3mg of ativan is equal to 30mg of valium. A lot!
I know the depression side of it can sneak up on you as well. So please be careful Sav!
I totally understand your worries about botox. The idea scares me too. But I don't know if I can handle months of increased anxiety again.
Hopefully it will 'wash away' in a couple days. It could be that my iron count has gone down again with the period again. When my iron is down I feel tired and depressed. Depression and anxiety tend to go hand in hand...
Anyways, thanks for the response!
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Guest » 29 Jan 2012, 18:32

I'm just not impressed enough with the success rates with Botox to consider going that route. I'm having a really major re-tear episode at the moment... Lots of crying today... I think i probably have at least 4 fissures at this point... The hot and very dry weather may have ended up dehydrating me more than I realized, and even with increased water consumption, it seems not to have been enough. Even with the level of pain I'm in right now, which is probably worse than I've ever had, that little voice of intuition is still telling me to avoid LIS even if I could find a surgeon willing to perform it on me. So... I am starting to think more seriously about NY, trying to take even the thought of it in very small stages as I go, and hopefully find my CRS supportive and willing to do what she can from here to facilitate that major of a trip... (which I wouldn't attempt without Ativan).

Postby workingonit » 29 Jan 2012, 19:17

Oh Jr,
I am so sorry you are in such pain.
Do you think it could be something else causing the AFs to not heal? I was reading about a guy on this forum who had multiple fissures that wouldn't heal, and gastrointestinal issues;
"my breakthrough with stubburn fissures and fistulas"
Did you read the article/study on lanolin?
google lanolin and anal fissures.
Sure hope you find some relief soon!
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby workingonit » 30 Jan 2012, 11:53

My anxiety is a bit better today.
Maybe it was just a fluke.
I got back to sleep after my early morning wake up, but it was full of uneasy stress dreams. Still, better than it was on the weekend.
For all I know it could be a setback from my ativan recovery. It's been weeks since the last one, but I guess they could still happen. Thought I was 100% recovered...
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Postby Savaici » 30 Jan 2012, 12:46

What a life we all lead!! Worry and pain. Image and not knowing what to do. When I feel just the teeniest bit better, I don't even want to mention it for fear of jinxing myself.
I am heavy into the research for SAD, and will keep you all updated on that and what I find etc. If anyone wants what I have already, just send me a message and your email and will email it all.
Tomorrow I am off to a surgeon about the skin, and of course just cannot stop myself from worrying about that too!! Image Made to worry, I guess. Should have done something about it ages ago. Oh, where have I heard that before...could it be the darn anal fissure that I should also have sorted before this.
At least I feel like smiling today. Always good. Hope things are going well for Sweet Bugaboo.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby workingonit » 30 Jan 2012, 14:10

Sav, I know what you mean about jinxing. I am constantly touching wood and whistling. :D
Good luck tomorrow.
I read that the physical act of smiling actually releases endorphins. So people who botox their face are actually taking some of the fun out of life!
-woi
workingonit
VIP