Is there hope?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Is there hope?

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 31 Jan 2012, 13:28

Ah! It seems like weeks of work and diet are all reversed in just one slightly harder BM, and I can't do what I planned to do today, or tomorrow probably.
Is there any hope? Does anyone have great success stories?
It seems like everything I read is how people have been struggling with this for months or years, and there is no guaranteed cure!
It's very depressing to think that it will be a long long long time before anything is normal again. And even if it is healed it would only take one bad day to bring it all back again.
It makes me angry to think that my doctor prescribed me Diazeltem and call if nothing improved in two weeks. No mention about diet, pain relief.... or the amount of time and effort you have to put into healing this.
Is there hope? Or will I just be 'managing' this for the rest of my life?
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Re: Is there hope?

Postby workingonit » 31 Jan 2012, 14:07

I sure wonder that myself some days.
But lots of people on the forum aren't on it anymore because they did get cured.
Well I doubt we will ever have perfect butts again, and will forever have to be careful, but we can and do heal.
What I am finding from reading posts is that it just takes a long time and you have to be patient. For every 2 steps forward, there will be a step back.
If you aren't happy with your doc, get a second opinion.
When you see your doc, go armed with a ton of questions.
And though a lot of CRSs believe in the american algorithm of approach (topicals -> botox -> LIS), it is still a personal journey for us all, how we arrive at healing.
-woi
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sue1962 » 31 Jan 2012, 17:11

WOI said it best, it is a personal journey!! I suffered for 3 years with the last 8 months being by far the worst and the longest. I would heal retear for 2 years and then the last time was horrible. Pain and spasms all day. The creams, baths, massage all quit working. I was at my wits end and had LIS 3 weeks ago. I just couldn't live not knowing IF it healed when would I retear? It always happens. Since my LIS I have been as normal as I was before, no incontinence, no pain, no blood. It was very successful for me and the recovery was not bad at all. A lot easier than dealing with AF for 3 years.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Grateful Ed » 31 Jan 2012, 22:55

It's true- fissures & the accompanying pain can make life seem completely unbearable but they do get sorted out. This time last month I was literally bed-ridden with pain but I'm slowly & cautiously getting better. You just have to find a method that works for you. Make sure you trust your CRS & don't be scared to "bite the bullet" & get LIS. I was lucky because I could see Dr Brett Hubbard in Portland and that got me on the right track. There is ALWAYS hope and even with a setback, your body is capable of healing. Unfortunately, as they say, "If you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, you're still in the f%$*ing tunnel!" Be kind to yourself and hang in there!
Grateful Ed
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby rasmith3530 » 01 Feb 2012, 01:42

For me, this began around this time last year. That first bout wasn't quite so bad, and with Nitro, it cleared up in about six weeks. This time, it's been a few weeks so far, and I do have to say that they are a few of the worst weeks in my 58 years hangin' out on this third rock from the sun. My CRS says I'm about a week and a half away from scheduling an LIS, and most say that resolves the problem for good, although there are exceptions. Hopefully, I won't be one!
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Davo » 01 Feb 2012, 06:06

I know how your feel - I have had my fissure for about 4 months now and have been using GTN for just over eight weeks.
For me the GTN seems to be working, my CRS says i am almost healed and i no longer feel pain during BM's or any spasms. I am however a realist and realise the chances of recurrence are high (1 in 3 according to my CRS or around 40% looking online). So for the time being i am just taking things one day at a time and doing my best to ensure things dont get worse again
If you are one of the unlucky ones who do not heal with conservative methods then i believe LIS is the only option to put an end to the pain!
But you're are right this one long and horrible journey!
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Ulrica » 28 Feb 2012, 00:50

To OP: are you still breastfeeding?
Ulrica
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2