Botox success- post pregnancy/delivery

Please help others by posting your success story here. Tell us what worked for you, before you move on with your fissure-free life!!

Return to Anal Fissure Success Stories

Botox success- post pregnancy/delivery

Postby Newmommy » 06 Feb 2012, 13:02

Hi All,
I found this forum when I was at my most depressed and feeling the worst and it educated me on treatment options. I haven't felt comfortable posting my story until now as I didn't want to jinx anything, but I keep reading posts from people who want to bypass Botox altogether because they haven't heard many success stories...so, here's mine:
I gave birth to a gorgeous little boy on June 23, 2011. Everything was fine with the delivery. Had some tearing and some swelling post but took colace for a couple of days and had my first bowel movement and everything was seemingly fine. I was exclusively breastfeeding and at about 3 weeks post-delivery, I was so exhausted, I must not have been taking very good care of myself, so I got a case of MAJOR consitpation due to being dehydrated from breastfeeding. I wasn't able to have a BM for 3 days and when I did, the pain was excruciating! After that, I was in SO much pain. I kept thinking I just had hemmroids (sp?) so I kept using my ointment for that. Doctor prescribed me some Elocom steroid cream but it didn't help the pain at all.
At 12 weeks post-delivery, I went back to he doctor to make sure nothing else was going on other than hemmroids and when I was examined, he determined I had a really bad infection/abscess from delivery from where I tore. I was placed on antibiotics which helped relieve the pain during the bowel movement for a couple of weeks but the pain came back with a vengeance. Long story short, it wasn't until 4 months post-delivery that my doctor realized I had fissures and my sphincter tone was through the roof according to him. I was given nitro-glycerin ointment 0.1% and that only helped slightly. A month later, I was having so much pain still and mostly from spasms, not so much the actual BM. I finally saw a CRS on Nov 30 and he scheduled me in for Botox the next day.
The injections stung pretty bad for a few seconds but then it was fine. (25 units on each side). Things then got MUCH worse before they got better. We were leaving for Mexico on Christmas Day and I was so not looking forward to the trip. I had myself on a routine where I would have a BM at night and then would generally be having my spasms while I slept so I was usually ok by morning. That was amazing, because before I had been going first thing in the morning and then was unable to even take care of my baby because of all the pain.
Things did not start getting better until a full MONTH after the Botox. All of a sudden, I stopped feeling any pressure pain after a BM. I could still feel discomfort from the fissures themselves so I knew I wasn't healed but it took a full month. Occasionally, I would still feel slight pressure pain for about 30 seconds during my day but then it would go away.
Today, I can report, that as of Feb 1st, 2 full months post-Botox, I haven. Felt any pressure pain at all. My CRS wants me to get another course of Botox just to insure full healing as I still feel that the area is tender there.
My daily routine is 2 colace per day.
2 prunes at night before bed. (I was at 5/day until a couple of weeks ago and I slowly decreased)
I am still breastfeeding so drinking as much water as I can.
Hope this helps someone or gives someone hope. I was in the worst pain I have ever felt in my life and I am feeling so much better now.
Last edited by Newmommy on 06 Feb 2012, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling
Newmommy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Botox success- post pregnancy/delivery

Postby workingonit » 06 Feb 2012, 13:36

Your doc sounds pretty with it. A lot of people heal on the first round of botox and then retear when it wears off as the skin is still too new.
So a second round sounds smart.
Thanks for sharing your story!
I am thinking about botox at this point. Also looking into self dilation and this chinese clinic near me.
It helps to hear a good pro botox story!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Davo » 07 Feb 2012, 06:14

Agree - its good to finally hear a Botox success story
Thanks for posting Newmommy
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby Sue27uk » 07 Feb 2012, 16:28

I'm glad you're feeling better newmommy. It is good to hear a botox success story, only wish mine was so good! I had botox about the same time as you, but am now in some pain again although not as bad as before. My follow up isn't until May, and if they suggest more botox my guess is it will be almost a year between shots - how useful!! I wish you all the best and hope your days are pain free and you continue to heal :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby sailorgal » 12 Feb 2012, 08:55

Thank you for posting your successful Botox story, new mommy, and congratulations on your baby :)
I am almost 3 weeks post op fissurectomy with Botox and am feeling a little discouraged by the continued blood in my stool and pain during and after BM's. It is encouraging to know that Botox can be successful and gives me perspective on recovery time and hope for a full recovery, at that! My CRS surgeon has urged me to keep up with the fiber pills and lots of water and wean off of all the softening agents which I have since done (except i continue with 3 prunes/day) - the stool is solid, but soft - but it certainly feels like it's hard when coming out. after reading lots of other posts of people saying to not overdo the fiber pills, i'm wondering if i should back off of that . . . any thoughts?
again, big thanks! :)
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Newmommy » 12 Feb 2012, 11:41

I don't take any fiber pills so I don't have any thoughts on that :( I am still taking colace as I'm not quite ready to wean off of it yet. Yesterday, I had no prunes and BM this mornin was fine. Before a BM, I do apply Sudocrem (a diaper zinc ointment) with some tissue which I do more for psychological uses now I think but before I used to use it to help lubricate the area and also it's supposed to act as a water barrier to keep rashes/cuts from getting infected. For me, once I got my diet sorted out so I had soft but formed stools, the pain during the BM went away. My issue was way more because of the painful spasms. I never had blood from the fissures.
Did you feel any difference since the Botox. I found after Botox that I couldn't hold gas in even if I tried so I knew it was working haha! I'm sorry I'm not much help but let me know if I can try an answer any other questions.
Newmommy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby sailorgal » 13 Feb 2012, 05:26

I definitely notice that since the Botox I don't have to strain anymore with BM's; I've been letting the gas fly-freely - which has been especially fun since I recently moved in with my boyfriend (last november - a few weeks before this entire ordeal began). I was having urgency issues with BM's - but that was because they were too loose in conjunction with the botox. i'm also still using the topical hydrocortizone cream, but not sure if that's doing much since the issue seems to be internal (and it's still too uncomfortable to apply it internally) . . . thanks! :)
[img][/img]
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby missy moo » 05 Jun 2017, 15:54

Hi how is everyone doing years later did the botox work long term?
missy moo
King Fissure

Topics: 37