Must Haves!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Must Haves!

Postby JJay » 08 Feb 2012, 13:41

Thank u DWBH!
I am going to try the miralax.. I guess I will replace the stool softners with it? I will try anything! I cant take it!
Hey.. did u have the surgery? or are you trying to deal with the fissure on your own? You mentioned the discharge.. ? I cant believe how many things I am going through after the surgery! The fissure pain is gone for the most part ( I am kind of afraid lately that its back.. or never really gone) but the daily worry about BMs.. the burning... and itching afterwards.. .the "leakage" .. all the creams. .the gauze pads... my dr never really prepared me for how long I would be " recoverying' or what to expect. .if it wasnt for this site.. I think I would have gone nuts by now!
I also had a skin tag( I think thats what they called it) removed.. and that bump ( there is actually 2) is soooo sensitive.. so raw.. I HATE it.. I think Im loosing it. I feel like I take 1 step towards getting better and 3 steps back.
VERY depressing!
Anyway.. thanks for the info.. I am going to try it!
J~~
JJay
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby JJay » 08 Feb 2012, 13:44

hi rasmith3530
Did you have surgery? or are you fighting the fissure on your own? I do know that when I was taking TWO laxatives along with my 2 stool softners.. I went so often that It was painful and uncomfortable!
Maybe you need to find the correct dosage for you..?
JJay
Fibre Addict

Postby rasmith3530 » 08 Feb 2012, 19:09

I'm scheduled for LIS on the 27th. I know what you mean about watching dosages with laxatives, and that should extend to soluble fiber supplements like Metamucil as well, for they can also have a laxative effect. ALWAYS read ALL the paperwork that comes with your meds, both OTC and prescribed. You might one day save an ER trip for taking incompatible meds!
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby dntwrrybhppy » 08 Feb 2012, 20:32

I haven't had surgery yet. I am still waiting for my referral to see a CRS. I can't wait! So right now I'm fighting it on my own. The discharge is horrible! Makes me feel so yucky and can make the itch worse. I hate the itchiness. Once i start I can't stop:( I hope things get better for you. At least you're not in as much pain. You're main priority should be keeping your stool soft and keeping yourself clean. I go through about 5 paintiliners a day! I'm not sure if you are a woman or man but if you didn't know those are mini pads. They're alot smaller and not as thick as regular pads. I have AFs, hemorhoids, and skin tags. Soooo ugly! It's like a little monster living on my butt Image
This website has brought me so much hope and has definitely helped me with my depression. We are so much stronger than other people who have perfect healthy butts!lol You have to think like that. If I don't then I start heading down a dark dark path. I hope I never get to that point again. If you ever need anything I am just an email away:)
dntwrrybhppy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby rasmith3530 » 08 Feb 2012, 23:24

DWBH, if you notice, there are little symbols on the left side of each post, right above your post count, that distinguish male and female. I didn't catch that initially either. It will either be a little blue circle with an arrow at about the 2 o-clock position for guys, or a lttltle pink circle with a cross at the 6 o-clock position for gals.
As for pain, this second go around (had my 1st AF about a year ago) has been much worse than the first. I am currently on Nucynta ER, a new Category 2 narcotic analgesic (pain killer) about the equivalent of Demerol, and it's merely taking the edge off. I've also had times when I've bled so badly that I could actually feel the blood running down my cheek and dripping into the toilet. It looked like I pooped into a bowl of cherry Kool-aid! At times, the bleeding has gone on for five to ten minutes steadily before finally slowing down. I've had to pack my hind end with Kleenex so I wouldn't stain my underware and sheets (too shy to go buy pantiliners).
I will say that this website, and all of you guys giving support has been a Godsend, and is probably the one thing that has kept me from dropping a bunch of pills, cashing in my chips, and taking the long dirt nap to escape the pain. My heart goes out to everyone on this forum!
As I mentioned in another post, I am former military, with a service connected disability that I incurred in the line of duty, I've been in several accidents while racing both cars and motorcycles, and I grew up in a rough part of Chicago, so I am no stranger to pain. That said, I have never experienced the level of pain that has come my way with this current AF. It tops knife, bullet injuries and broken bones. It's also worse than any of the peptic or duodinal ulcers I've had. A completely torn ligament in the knee paled in comparison. You are quite right, we are much stronger than those with healthy butts. We don't have to worry about going to Hell, for we've already experienced it here on Earth!
You take care and I hope that you too get to the CRS post haste!
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby JJay » 12 Feb 2012, 09:23

DWBH
OMG u poor thing.. waiting for the referaL! UGH! I had all three things too.. and I have to say.. the skin tag thing was a last minute issue.. i only noticed it the day before my surgery! i AMOST checkedned out on my surgery until I saw it .. I freaked out.. and ended up going through with the surgery... I am very happy I did.. but the skin tag area is sooo painful and raw still.. I don't know if it is the norm.. or just me.. but the "leakage' after the surgery ( never explained to me before) is very irritating to the whole situation down there ugh! Its MUCH better than before the surgery.. but so slow healing that it is still a little upsetting and depressing! I hope you get your surgery soon!
Thanks for all the info.. I tried the Miralax for a few days now and i really think it helps! I am so happy that I am not going to have to take the laxative anymore!
J~~
JJay
Fibre Addict

Postby JJay » 12 Feb 2012, 09:27

rasmith..
I'll bet you cant wait for the 27th! I hope all goes well for you.. and DONT be afraid to ask all the questions you may have.. I found that I was so embarassed about it that I didn't really ask anything... and if not for this forum.. I would have been lost. I STILL think the dr should have prepared me for what was to come AFTER the " 2 week recovery" but.. I'm gettting through it.
The miralax really is great!
J
JJay
Fibre Addict

Postby rasmith3530 » 12 Feb 2012, 12:24

Jay, I am nervous about the after surgery stuff, and where I was ecstatic about LIS being the end all for fissures, having read of folks getting return engagements post surgery, I am somewhat concerned about that, especially as I read about the possible connections between stress and fissures. I have other issues going on in addition to the fissure, including an as yet not completely diagnosed neuro-psych issue and I am worried that these stressors could affect healing or even bring about yet a third fissure.
All that said, I do have faith in my doctor and I do trust his judgement. I'm just hoping that my other issues don't end up negatively impacting my post-op.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby rasmith3530 » 12 Feb 2012, 12:28

Jjay, I did forget to say thank you for your concern. I'm sorry for that. Everyone on this forum has been so supportive, and I am so thankful to have discovered this site. Again thanks and best wishes to you.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby pat123 » 14 Feb 2012, 15:32

a word on miralax... my crs told me that if you had to be on a stool softerner long term, miralax would be his choice.
hang in there... Image
pat
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7