Sigmoidoscopy or Colonoscopy

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Sigmoidoscopy or Colonoscopy

Postby SweetiePi » 10 Feb 2012, 22:24

Has anyone had a sigmoidoscopy / colonoscopy and their fissure did not show up on the scan? I've had my fissure for over 3 years. When I had my sigmoidoscopy, the Gastrointerologist could not find any sign of a fissure. He said that some are so small that this is not unusual. Has anyone else experienced this? I have also seen a CRS that says the pain I describe is most definitely a fissure. Is it normal to not be able to see it? It sure does hurt for something so small that it's invisible!
SweetiePi

Topics: 1

Re: Sigmoidoscopy or Colonoscopy

Postby Savaici » 11 Feb 2012, 17:46

Hi SweetiePi,
Welcome to the forum. I have not had a sig or a colonoscopy, but was examined by anuscope by a CRS and he could find nothing. Not at all unusual. They can be the size of a paper cut and still cause intense pain and spasms of the internal spincter which stop the blood flow to the area, in this way increase the difficulty in healing. I would go with what the CRS said. Amazing that such a tiny thing can lead to such hellish pain!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Re: Sigmoidoscopy or Colonoscopy

Postby rasmith3530 » 11 Feb 2012, 22:44

I had a colonoscopy while healing from my 1st AF. The CRS who performed my colonoscopy is a partner of the CRS who examined me and discovered that first fissure. They had both seen it. This time around, I opted for the doc who'd performed my colonoscopy mainly because I had just a bit more trust in his abilities. The doctor who examined me this time in the Immediate Care did not see the fissure, and wrote me off to internal hemmies. My CRS, using that big scope looking thing they have attached to the exam table saw it immediately and said it was a bad one, worse than the original, and explained that was why I was suffering so.
So, in answer to your question, yes, an AF can be seen during a colonoscopy, but I'm sure only if it is large enough. Remember, your AF can be as small as a paper cut, and in the right place, a paper cut can be quite unpleasant.
Trust your instincts and listen to your CRS. Read this forum as well. You will see where many of us have not only detailed (sometimes in much detail), our experiences with our AFs but also with how this our that treatment either helped or hurt.
Almost universal though is getting your stool soft. Whether an AF or a Hemmie, passing a hard stool or being constipated is going to HURT, plain and simple, so do what you have to in order to get it soft but not runny.
Good luck an may your pains subside quickly.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10