My update - 12 days, post-op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: My update - 12 days, post-op

Postby queenofpain » 13 Feb 2012, 15:15

Hi SB,
I've prayed for you, and put you on a church's prayer list (anonymously). I'm sorry it took this long to post, but I don't have the internet at home. I've been wondering about your experience, though. Sounds like you're doing great! I am so happy for you. I'm nearly four months post-op (October 18), still have some daily light pain, and wouldn't dare venture off M.O.M. just yet, but it seems I turned the corner at the 8.5 mark (early December). LIS is still definitely worth it to me. That area felt so tight and thick before, and now it feels practically normal. At any rate, glad you've found LIS beneficial, too.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 13 Feb 2012, 15:57

queenofpain wrote:Hi SB,
I've prayed for you, and put you on a church's prayer list (anonymously). I'm sorry it took this long to post, but I don't have the internet at home. I've been wondering about your experience, though. Sounds like you're doing great! I am so happy for you. I'm nearly four months post-op (October 18), still have some daily light pain, and wouldn't dare venture off M.O.M. just yet, but it seems I turned the corner at the 8.5 mark (early December). LIS is still definitely worth it to me. That area felt so tight and thick before, and now it feels practically normal. At any rate, glad you've found LIS beneficial, too.

Hi, queen! Thank you for the prayers and for putting me on the prayer chain - that was so kind of you, and I appreciate it. We do that in my mother's church - and we have a strong group of members who make phone calls for the chain.
I can't say I'm past the pain, yet - it's a different kind of pain, more like a soreness, with some burning here and there. My swelling has not gone down all the way, yet - but it's much better. I'm only two weeks past my surgery - so, I realize that it might take some time for me to feel "normal," especially since I had both an LIS and a fissurectomy. --- That said, I've had no complications, thus far, and the bm's are definitely easier.
I only wish I hadn't waited as long as I did, before opting for the surgery - but two of the crs I saw didn't think I needed surgery. --- So, anyhow, I just want to completely heal - as I'm still in the "recovery" phase of this thing.
I'm glad you posted to me. I hope you see this (given that you don't have internet at home) - and I wish us all a happy, pain free future.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby rasmith3530 » 14 Feb 2012, 00:51

Hey there Sweet Bugaboo, I hadn't found your post until just now. Hearing of your success both gladens me and gives me greater hope for my own upcoming surgery on the 27th. One of my concerns, post-op, regards stress, because as I've mentioned elsewhere, I also have other medical issues that have had me seriously, big time in the dumps, and of course they aren't going away with my surgery. Just wondering if you had any outside stressors to deal with since, or just your healing?
Anyway, great to hear you are making progress. I wish the best for you.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Feb 2012, 01:37

Hi, rasmith -
I think you'll be fine -- like I've said, surgery is surgery, and everyone's experience is a little different . . . just like everyone's recovery is a little different. I had general anesthesia (my doc's preference), but not everyone here has had that during surgery. I have a very sensitive system, so it took a few days for me to shake the effects of the g.a.
My crs has never been concerned about complications, incontinence, etc. -- so, throughout this whole thing, he's had confidence that I'd be just fine, post-op. That said, I've still been mindful to keep the post-op bm's soft (Miralax the first several days, and now I seem to be doing okay with stool softeners alone) - and I've made sure to keep the area clean and dry. You'll want to watch your diet and eat soft, easy foods for awhile -- I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, steamed vegetables (sometimes half a soft sandwich) for lunch, and noodles for supper. My crs did not give me diet restrictions, whatsoever, but I've felt that it wouldn't be a good idea for me to eat anything heavy for awhile - and actually, I haven't wanted heavy foods. You'll need to drink lots of water, too -- that should help to keep your bm's more manageable.
You'll need to give yourself time and patience -- my bottom still has some swelling, with some black/blue bruising still visible. I've had some post-op itching (not horrible, thus far) and some burning (but I think that might have been a reaction to an antibiotic I was taking for a separate issue).
It would be ideal if you're able to give yourself some down time to rest -- I've pretty much done nothing, for the past two weeks. Sitting is touchy at first, and I'm just now kind of able to sit my bottom on a firmer surface - but my preference is still something soft underneath. I'm trying to be very careful, so to give myself the best healing environment.
Oh, yes, I have stresses - but I've told myself (and everyone around me) to accept that everything is on hold for me, right now. I've already spent months suffering from the AF, so I want my healing from this to be complete and without any unnecessary stress.
Time, patience, soft b.m.'s, easy diet, Miralax/stool softeners , plenty of water, rest, keeping things clean and dry -- all of that will help. Don't hesitate asking your doc any and all ?'s you might have. I had a long, typed list of ?'s that I asked my crs, right before my surgery -- and I've since called his office, twice, just to talk over my swelling (normal, he says) and burning (he recommended an OTC cream, but the burning has subsided) . . . so, be sure to go over everything with your doc, if you have ?'s.
I only had four days to think about my surgery . . . there was an opening in the doc's schedule, so I had surgery four days after discussing my AF with my crs. You have more time to think about your surgery -- but don't let it fester in your mind. Just try not to focus on it, until you're there, dealing with it. Get yourself ready, but don't dwell on it.
Keep us posted! I will have you in my prayers and positive thoughts. You will get through it and be fine. :)
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Feb 2012, 01:41

Oh, and I forgot to mention, rasmith - that yes, I've had a few medical issues . . . one is that I've felt I've had a UTI (urinary tract infection) - and for a woman, that's not something ideal to have when going through an LIS. Plus, I have a couple of other existing physical conditions -- so, I can definitely sympathize with you about that.
I figure that if I can NOT have to worry about my AF, anymore, then that's one less thing I have to be bothered with.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 14 Feb 2012, 06:59

Thanks for that info SB. One of the symptoms from my other issue, the one I'm so stressed on, is that I get lost, or more correctly, suffer blackouts. The other evening, a 15-20 minute walk home took me over two hours. My family went out looking for me but could not find me. My toes were numb when I got home, thanks to the cold and Diabetes related neuropathy. This was just walking from our town's small downtown area, along what should have been a route that's simply walking along one street until I got to my own. Somehow, I got turned around due to the blackout, and the only things I remember are passing by one house with lots of kitchy stuff in the front yard, and one house that had very unique architecture. This is the kind of stuff that's kept me on virtual house arrest the past seven months, and a major stress or.
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Feb 2012, 11:40

rasmith, that had to be so scary for you and your family! I can understand why you've had to be on "house arrest" for awhile. It sounds similar to sleep walking, where a person might wander around, unaware of the surroundings.
I hope you will have help, post-op - maybe someone to be there and keep an eye on you, for awhile . . .
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby queenofpain » 14 Feb 2012, 13:12

Sounds like you're doing very well for two weeks post-op. I, too, wish I had this done a few years back. But, as in your case, the first CRS wouldn't do it; he dismissed me because I was taking over-the-counter products. The second one wouldn't do it off bat because I was never in pain on my visits. I know they have a protocol to follow, but even he said surgery was inevitable given my tight sphincter. I'm still dealing with spasm/pain, and by now I would have had an idea if he needed to cut more. I certainly hope not because it has been a long convalescence (4 months this week).
It sounds like you're doing remarkably well. I'm very happy for you, and will continue to pray.
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 14 Feb 2012, 13:49

Hi, queen -
Well, my recovery has not been without a few bumps - and the recovery process is still ongoing. Like I say, surgery is surgery, regardless of how small the stitches are, etc., and there's still some amount of recovery involved.
I think it's different for everyone, too, because everyone's physical make-up is different. I'm highly sensitive -- so, I've had to deal with different issues, because of that. If I have an ache or pain, which might not be much bother to someone else, it's usually much more intense for me. --- Believe me, I'm not up running races around here - I'm still being careful with everything, and I'm still having some soreness and discomfort, along with swelling and discoloration. Things have calmed down, some, but not all the way, yet.
I've had a tight sphincter, too -- but my whole pelvic area is small, so I'm not surprised. --- I, too, have had some post-op spasms, but nothing horrible or huge, as yet.
Keep the faith, queen -- we'll just heal at our own paces, and surely things will even out for us, eventually. I'd like to hop on my bike (an old Schwinn) and ride around the neighborhood, and I'd like to sit down squarely on my piano bench and play my piano -- but those will have to wait until my bottom feels stronger.
Meanwhile, pillows and prayers (for your recovery, too!).
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby queenofpain » 14 Feb 2012, 14:19

Thanks for your encouragement, SB. Just continue to your keep stools very soft during your recovery. Sitz baths helped me with the burning at the beginning, too. My CRS said we can't put the area in a cast, and immobilize it, so I just have to give it time. I'm just so done with pain in that area, as we all are! Again, thanks for your thoughts
...He cares for you. I Peter 5:7
queenofpain
Proctosphincteranalogist