Movicol or fybogel post surgery?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Movicol or fybogel post surgery?

Postby Layla85 » 15 Feb 2012, 09:23

I've been given fybogel by the hospital and advised to take that rather than movicol as it makes stools bulky. I've generally only ever taken movicol though...Does anyone have an advice on this?
Thank you! :)
Layla85
Salt Bather

Topics: 18

Re: Movicol or fybogel post surgery?

Postby busybird » 15 Feb 2012, 14:35

I would honestly say if you have been using movicol, stick with it as you know what results ur gonna get. Fybogel might bulk you up too much.
My nightly routine is 1 movicol, 20ml of latulose and 3-4 prunes. Very predictable results in the morning!
busybird
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby workingonit » 15 Feb 2012, 15:14

Layla,
Kinda depends on what kind of surgery you had.
Did you get the anal dilation? In that case you might want to do the fybogel. But if it was an LIS and/or fissurectomy. You might want to keep taking the movical. IMO
Did you ask them why?
you could always split the difference and cut back on the movical while adding the fybogel...
You might also want to wait til you've stopped taking any constipating pain meds before stopping the movical.
Just a thought..
So glad you are on the road to recovery! That's fabulous!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Layla85 » 15 Feb 2012, 15:28

Hi guys thank you for replying
I had a v small anal dilation. They said when I was under that they would check how tight I was down there and if it was very tight they'd make an incision rather than a dilation. Given my age and gender they wanted to err on the side of caution.
However they also removed a pretty large tag so there was some cutting...I've not had a BM yet although when I thought I was gonna go the packing they'd put inside came out instead. Hoping that's a good sign!
Surgeon said I should try and make BM's bulkier if I wanted to heal so I guess that means fybogel rather than movicol?
Layla85
Salt Bather

Postby workingonit » 15 Feb 2012, 15:42

Yes, that would mean fybogel.
I don't think it makes it that bulky. I take metamucil which is pretty similar. But I was always on the loose side to begin with. But with the metamucil I never have to push or strain. It did make me a little gassy at first though. So I would slowly wean yourself off the movical while simultaneously starting the fybogel for a week or so. It took me about a week to work myself up to a full dose of metamucil. You have to drink lots of water with fiber supplements too!
That's just what i would do... probably cause I don't really trust doctors Image
I wish I could get anal dilation. Nobody near me does it.
I did have a tag/sentinel removed over a year ago. It took a few days for the swelling to go down, and 10 days to completely heal. It was tender for a few months though.
congrats on your dilation and tag removal! Hope you heal quickly!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Layla85 » 15 Feb 2012, 15:46

Thank you Tanya! All the best to you too
Layla85
Salt Bather