Update - 3 Weeks Post-Op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Update - 3 Weeks Post-Op

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Feb 2012, 23:17

rasmith, I had my surgery later in the afternoon, on Monday, Jan. 30th. My crs was late getting to the hospital (he had to finish up a surgery in a different hospital in town) - so, he didn't start me until about 4 p.m. According to one of my nurses, my surgery took about 30 min - and then they wheeled me to recovery . . . and I remember waking up, looking at the clock, and it was just after 5 p.m.
I did wake up feeling some pain, but they gave me meds in my IV -- and after I spent about an hour in recovery, I was taken to a post-recovery place, where I probably spent another hour or more. Once there, they put me in a chair, made me sit up -- and no, I really couldn't feel anything then, due to the pain meds I was given . . .
However, because I was given general anesthesia for the surgery, I was extremely tired and kind of nauseated after my surgery. All I wanted to do was sleep - but because my surgery was done on an out-patient basis, they got me out of there, probably around 7-8 p.m. --- Once home, I went to the bathroom (urinated) and went straight to bed.
I really wasn't able to sit, comfortably (without a pillow underneath my bottom), until the past week or so -- but I had TWO procedures (LIS and fissurectomy) - plus, I'm an extremely sensitive person. So, my recovery time is probably a bit slower than other people's.
I'm sitting just fine, now -- there's a teeny, TEENY bit of discomfort when I sit, but it's hardly worth mentioning.
Post surgery, I was very careful to not put weight on my bottom - so, while lying down, I stayed on my side propped there with pillows. --- Right now, I'm sitting on the bed, fully on my bottom (the mattress is soft, though), and I'm just fine. Earlier, I sat on a (rather firm) dining room chair, and it was okay.
Just make sure to baby yourself for a few days, so that you can heal and let your bottom have some post-op recovery time. You'll be able to judge for yourself (pain, I mean), once you get home and see how things feel. If you're only having the LIS, you might very well be up and about way before I was.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby grannymaria » 24 Feb 2012, 05:42

So glad to hear from u sweetie! We are happy for u n glad ur doing great . We shall continue to pray for all here n worldwide . God is so good and worthy to be praised. Take care sweetbugaboo n thank you for ur encouraging words to all.
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby Arafat » 24 Feb 2012, 08:12

Sweet Bugaboo, its so good to hear that ur recovery is going well. Looks like ur doing all the right things and i'm sure in a few weeks or so you'll be absolutely back to normal.Ur right abt the need to pamper ourselves right after surgery; that is SO important so that no complications arise. Well, as you probably know i had LIS and fistulectomy abt 6 weeks back. The do have minor itiching occasionally even my doc said it'll go away with time. Slight tenderness (not pain) is also expected and will go away with time. Hope there are no roadblocks on ur recovery process! Do take care!
Arafat
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 24 Feb 2012, 11:04

Hello, granny and Arafat -
Thank you for your good wishes. --- Granny, I think of you, often, and hope you're doing okay and getting through your challenges. --- Yes, God is good and certainly praise worthy. If I didn't truly believe that from the bottom of my heart, I'd be lost. I'll continue to think of you and pray for your recovery, as well. :)
Arafat -- I'm glad you're doing okay and are past your surgery, too. I have minor itching, too, but I hope it will go away with enough time. You're right about pampering ourselves. It's very important. Thank you for your kind words, and I hope your recovery continues to go well.
Blessings to all of you out there.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby LosAngelesFissure » 25 Feb 2012, 19:21

Hey Sweet Bugaboo,
Just had my fissurectomy performed by a Dr. B too. Any chance your CRS is in the Los Angeles area? I had just a fissurectomy for my procedure, no LIS. When did your bleeding stop? Have you needed to take pain pills? Thanks and I wish your AMAZING recovery continued success :0)
LosAngelesFissure
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 25 Feb 2012, 20:42

Hello, LAF -
Thanks for the good wishes! I wish you a great recovery, too.
No, I haven't had much bleeding, at all. For the first week or two, there was a teeny bit of red/pink drainage from the wound area - but after that, not much at all.
I'm in the Central Valley area (center of CA) - so, no, lol - I think my Dr. B. is a different crs.
Take care of yourself - rest, and give yourself time to heal. That's what I'm doing. :)
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby workingonit » 05 Mar 2012, 18:17

Hi Sweet,
So glad you can play the piano again. I look at my guitar and still don't feel like it.
I was wondering why your doctor chose to do a fissurectomy? Was it because the fissure had gotten too 'old'. Did he think it wouldn't heal without doing it, or that it wouldn't heal as quickly?
thanks,
Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 05 Mar 2012, 19:33

Hi, Tanya -
Ya know, I wondered that, myself (why my crs chose to do the fissurectomy while doing the LIS, too) -- and the best that I can figure is that he said something about cleaning up the area - that my fissure had some "thick" (scarring-type) skin around it. It seems that some crs's choose to do ONLY the LIS, and not the fissurectomy - but some crs's also want to cauterize, or clean up, or take out the fissure.
When I expressed my concerns to my crs (about having the fissurectomy, in addition to the LIS), he didn't seem worried about it -- he just said that he might as well clean things up in there. He didn't seem to want to leave the AF there - so, I told him that, during surgery, he could take a look, and if he thought he should work on the AF, to go ahead. --- He said that the area was so very small, it would be just a couple of very small stitches. Still, I do believe it's made my healing time a little slower and more uncomfortable, than if I had only had the LIS done.
That said, I just have to trust that he treated the entire area the way he thought it should be done. I am healing - and I'm better - but I know it will take some time for the discomfort to completely subside. It's such a tender area, anyhow . . . Basically, everything is working fine and looks almost normal - but I still have some itching and a bit of burning, now and then.
I'll see my crs on Thursday - and I'll see what he says. I don't expect him to find anything wrong. I've had no complications, at all -- it's just taking time for things to completely settle down, down below.
How are you doing? It's awful to not have the physical or mental energy to participate in things we love to do. I have to say that I'm completely rusty with my piano -- I didn't feel like playing while I had the AF, and now it's taken some time for me to feel like sitting on the piano bench. A couple of weeks after my surgery, my hands felt weak and would shake -- but now I'm stronger and can sit and play, without too much discomfort.
I really pray for us, all, to feel better and go on with life. --- I'm sending you hugs!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby grannymaria » 06 Mar 2012, 06:08

God bless u dear Sweetbugaboo - so glad ur doing well. We gotta keep the faith n continue praying for all n keep doing our part . Hugs sweetie
grannymaria
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 13

Postby workingonit » 06 Mar 2012, 09:57

THanks Sweet,
I forgot you mentioned before that he sewed up the fissurectomy site. So you had two sets of stitches!
Glad you are almost there.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34