Update - 3 Weeks Post-Op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Update - 3 Weeks Post-Op

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 21 Feb 2012, 17:03

Hi, FFFs! (Fissure Forum Friends)
I am now 3 weeks post-op, as of yesterday. Today I saw my crs for my second post-op visit, and it went well.
So far, I haven't had any complications, and my only (post-op) symptoms now are a bit of itching and a small amount swelling still there, along with some burning -- and none of this is major. The itching is mild and only occasional, and the burning is light and simply feels more like things are healing (it's definitely NOT like a fissure burn). The swelling has gone down to a very small amount, which should disappear, given time. My crs said that I should be past all of this, fairly soon. These things take time to heal, and everyone is different.
Diet wise, I'm eating more "normal" foods. The past several days, I've eaten things like meatballs, mashed potatoes, chicken, etc. - and today I even went to IHOP and had a wonderful omelette, plus a couple of french fries! YUM! I haven't eaten like this in four months! (In fact, I haven't gone out to eat anywhere, since last November.) However, I make sure I eat vegetables AND prunes, as well -- I definitely am NOT going wild with the food. I'm still watching my portions -- I'm eating small portions, 3-4 times a day, but that's probably a smarter way for me to eat, anyhow. One positive thing about this AF experience is that I'm much more careful with my diet - and I'll never again take my bottom for granted. I needed to lost a few pounds (even though it was a heck of a way to do it!) - and it's good that I've cut out sugar and junk foods.
I'm still taking stool softeners, but I'm completely off the Miralax now. I asked my crs about my stools (possibly being too bulky and/or damaging the area - given that I'm eating a more varied diet now), and he didn't seem a bit worried about it. One thing about my crs . . . he's really confident in the success of this type of surgery, along with the fact that there are almost no complications. (FTR, I've had no incontinence and don't expect it.) He also said that I should think about weaning myself off the stool softeners and just make sure I have fiber in my diet (which I'll get through my veggies and prunes). So, I will slowly start doing that.
Today I asked him about the possibility of having an AF recurrence (post surgery), and he said that it was really rare. He's been at this game for 27 years now, so I figure he knows what he's talking about. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, given any situation -- and like I said, everyone is different.
All in all, I feel that surgery was a necessity for me, because my AF wasn't healing, and I knew I couldn't bear to live in AF pain the rest of my life. I just need to finish healing -- but already, things feel better.
I wish all of you a happy, pain-FREE future. You've all been wonderful to me, and I appreciate your support and return it, ten fold. Take care!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Re: Update - 3 Weeks Post-Op

Postby workingonit » 21 Feb 2012, 18:28

Great to hear Sweet,
thanks for the update!
I had a good appointment with my GP today and got a referral to another CRS. She was a good listener today and i really appreciate that in a doctor.
Sounds like your CRS is a good listener too.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 21 Feb 2012, 18:52

workingonit wrote:Great to hear Sweet,
thanks for the update!
I had a good appointment with my GP today and got a referral to another CRS. She was a good listener today and i really appreciate that in a doctor.
Sounds like your CRS is a good listener too.
-Tanya

Hi, Tanya (woi) -
Yes, it's so important to have a crs who listens - and my crs (Dr. B., who did my surgery) has been the only crs who's really listened to me, and I told him so today.
Let us know how your crs visit goes . . . good luck with it!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby Sue1962 » 22 Feb 2012, 11:59

Hey SB
Even though I knew you were doing well, since our last conversation, I just wanted to say YAY!!! I have been eating good too!! Actually, gained a couple pounds. I am so happy you are on the other side of this!!! I go for my 2 month post op March 2nd and will post my outcome. Although, I don't forsee any problems, b/c I was home free 1 week after surgery. Almost time to shine up the Harley, gonn be 70* on Friday!!! after a miserable and painful summer last year, I just can't wait to ride.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 22 Feb 2012, 15:22

Hi, Sue!
I've been wondering about you and your Harley, lol. I know you're itching to get out there, once spring is here - especially since you were so miserable last summer.
Today I had a tuna-melt sandwich -- soooo good! Last night I had Chinese food - YUM! I'm still trying to be careful, but I'm so glad I'm on the other side of this whole thing.
For me, my big excitement will be getting back on my Schwinn, lol -- but I'll need to give myself a bit more time, I think. I'm still about 3 weeks behind you, as far as healing time. --- Sounds like you're ready to roll, though.:)
Thanks for the shout out!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby pat123 » 23 Feb 2012, 14:10

Hey SB!
Congrats on the surgery and your amazing recovery!
You certainly deserve some good news, good food and some peace! Image
Was it LIS?
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Feb 2012, 16:49

Hi, Pat - and thank you!
I had an LIS and a fissurectomy - which, IMO, makes my healing time a bit slower than someone who's had only the LIS. That said, I am healing - I'm three weeks past surgery, but I fully intend on being patient and giving myself more time to feel better.
I'm up, doing things - but I still have some small swelling, also some occasional burning/itching (my crs says that's normal, given my procedures) - and I'm a bit fatigued from the whole AF experience. But, I did it - and I'm glad I did, and I'm really glad to be getting past it.
Thanks, again, for the good wishes. I truly appreciate your (and everyone's) support. :)
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 23 Feb 2012, 21:24

SB, good to hear your update. My surgery is Monday. Had to get a blood test and EKG in preparation as part of pre-op. Also had an interview by phone.
I'm glad to hear that thing have been progressing well for you. It gives me confidence. Best of luck for a fissure-free future!
Rob
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 23 Feb 2012, 21:51

Hi rasmith! - I've been wondering about you and hoping you're hanging in there.
I went through the blood work, too - and it was on a Thursday, because my surgery was the following Monday. The nurses did the EKG on that Monday, while we were all waiting for the doctor to arrive at the hospital.
You will be fine -- just give yourself time to get through it - and it would be good if you have someone to help you through the first few days, just to help you with whatever you might need.
I'll be thinking of you and praying for you (I pray for all of us, actually - but I'll be saying special prayers for you) -- and I hope you keep us updated, as to your progress.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby rasmith3530 » 23 Feb 2012, 22:46

How did you feel later in the day on that day of surgery, and on the first day after? Were you able to walk without assistance, and how was sitting?
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10