Anyone know how LIS surgery fairs over time (10, 15 years)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Anyone know how LIS surgery fairs over time (10, 15 years)

Postby tiredofpain » 24 Feb 2012, 11:05

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the forum and a long time AF sufferer (4+ years). This forum and all the experiences have been really encouraging. So far my AF has been controlled mainly by diet , laxatives etc. I am getting tired of all this anxiety and pain and worrying over BM !!. The frustrating part is even when I follow a vegetable, fruit, legumes only based diet and lots of water (gallon !), my AF flairs up even if I have slightly bigger stool due to all the bulk.
I am considering LIS and wanted to know if there is known long term issues with LIS after 10 , 15 years.
Thanks
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Re: Anyone know how LIS surgery fairs over time (10, 15 years)

Postby workingonit » 24 Feb 2012, 18:11

You know I don't think there is anyone here who has been here that long. But I do notice that there's nobody who had LIS years ago and come back to the forum.
You might want to ask your CRS that question.
I would be interested to know the answer myself!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: Anyone know how LIS surgery fairs over time (10, 15 years)

Postby PaulsPain » 24 Feb 2012, 20:18

I posted a paper in the reference section that shows the sphincter muscle slowly regains strength in the first year.
http://anal-fissure.org/t3226-sphincter-function-after-lis-research-paper#65457
So it would be interesting to see if the muscle continues to gain tone as time goes on.....
I had my LIS a little over 2 years ago and I still feel the area is relaxed compared to prior LIS.
Also, I was fearful of surgery for a long time. But I finally decided I would rather enjoy life now and deal with what comes down the road rather than live the rest of my life with chronic fissures that ruled my life for years.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4