anemia iron and healing

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

anemia iron and healing

Postby workingonit » 27 Feb 2012, 13:37

Hey there,
just thought I'd toss this one out there and see what others thought.
So both my CRS and my GP know I am anemic. I was afraid to take the iron supplements that my GP suggested (ferrous sulphate) because the number one side effect is constipation. So I took this one called proferrin (heme). Well almost 3 months later I still have the fissure and I am still anemic. The nifedipine is making my period at least 1.5 times as heavy as they usually are. Heavy periods and perimenopause are the reason I am anemic in the first place. -sigh-
SO I am now taking the prescription the doc suggested in the first place and will know in a week or so if it is helping. Right now I am still finishing my period and get dizzy when I stand up.
Ok, enough about me. But this is what led me to finally look this up.
Iron and healing...
Why didn't my CRS or my GP mention this???
I really need to get off that damn nifedipine. My CRS has just postponed my appointment with him from the day after tomorrow to three weeks from now, just after my next period starts. My second opinion CRS isn't booked til 5 months from now!
So I think I will just stop taking the nifedipine myself. I'll ween myself off it over the next week and use coconut oil and lanolin instead.
Bloody doctors. What are they good for???
http://www.livestrong.com/article/449886-iron-deficiency-wounds-that-do-not-heal/
sorry for the long diatribe. Just feeling really frustrated today.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Re: anemia iron and healing

Postby Savaici » 28 Feb 2012, 10:48

I stopped the Nifedipiine too. In the end could not see what the hell it was supposed to be doing. It only gave me a little relief outside and that's it.
Still heading down the SAD route, but have to have a couple of tests first. Not done the AD yet. Too chicken... Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Buttski » 28 Feb 2012, 10:55

I found that no medication really helped me,and I tried lots!I swear by the coconut oil and sitz baths now.Diet it huge too.
As for the doctors,I understand the frustration there...I feel like when I see my doc,I know more about my problem and meds then he does!My appointments feel like they are totally pointless and a big waste of my time....
Best of luck,I hope you can find the right balance for your anemia
Buttski
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby workingonit » 28 Feb 2012, 15:14

My CRS said that some people use nifedipine for years. And I was like, why?? If it did't work in the first year?? really?
I am going to get the virgin coconut oil. I have expellier pressed and I guess the higher friction heat when they press it removes some of the benefits.
Sav,
That's great that you are actively pursuing the SAD road!
I totally understand about the fear of self dilating. I keep telling myself, when I am healed. And I do think I am close. Maybe when my iron levels are better.
I think my long walks are helping too.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby workingonit » 16 Mar 2012, 09:53

Well I've been taking the new iron supplements for 3 weeks or so. I feel great really!
So much more energy and I think it is still getting better. I must have been pretty anemic!
My AF is also getting much better too!
Not quite there yet, but I now feel confident that it will heal. I certainly couldn't have said that 3 weeks ago.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby NancyAsleep » 30 Apr 2012, 03:59

Tanya,
This is a great thread and comforting. I've been anaemic too (three times in my life). I'm now not officially anaemic but still have a pretty low count. I might get this checked again. I am also a bit scared of supplements as this is what got me into trouble in the first place. Keep me posted on your success. After the birth of my first bub my OBs suggested pumping the iron for healing. And vit C.
NancyAsleep
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby workingonit » 30 Apr 2012, 17:25

Nancy,
I am really lucky that the iron supplements don't constipate me or bother my stomach. I did almost heal and then a mild setback. i am seeing a TCM now so we'll see how that goes.
Still taking the iron. It took a while for the nifedipine to leave my system. My second mentruation started crazy heavy but them evened out to 'normal' for me. So I will get my blood tested after my next period and see how it goes. The doctor said if I was still low, she would just up the dose.
Cross yer fingers.
I did read your post about how you got in this predicament. Sucks!
Having babies is a lot harder than people make it sound.
All I can say, is it's a good thing I didn't know then what I know now, or I might never of had my daughter, and that would be super sad.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby shazbaz12 » 02 May 2012, 03:45

i also had iron problems, it must be caused from the fissure to
shazbaz12

Topics: 1