New Here - 32 Year Old Athletic Male From Toronto

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New Here - 32 Year Old Athletic Male From Toronto

Postby Toronto79 » 29 Feb 2012, 03:14

I can't believe how painful this is! 4 weeks ago, I was having problems with my BM (constipated). This was my first time ever being constipated. I started eating tons of oatmeal, but didn't adjust my water intake. I had no idea this could make you constipated, as I assumed fiber was supposed to be good enough alone. I ended up with an anal fissure (my doc confirmed it visually). A few days later, I couldn't even have a BM, as it got stuck there. I was literally on the toilet for over an hour trying to finish. Fast forward to today (4 weeks later), and I just had a painful BM this afternoon that had me in pain all day and night.
My BM cause lots of pain during the BM. Also, after I am done, I have a painful throbbing feeling for the rest of the day (in the rectum and scrotum area...spasms I am guessing). How do people deal with this? I started my business last year and work from home, but if I was at a desk job, there is no way I could sit down at work after a BM. Do people go on disability for this?
Anyways, this forum scared me, as I read people suffering from this for years! This is so painful, that it is ruining my life like nothing I have ever experienced (and I have had many sever sports injuries). Anyways, here is my routine:
*High fiber diets with lots of water (oats, Vega meal replacements, greens, 10 liters of water)
*Docusate Sodium 100mg (2 x day)
*Nifedipine .3% (2x day)
*Bath (1 - 2 x day)
Today was the worst BM so far..I had steak last night. I feel like I am starting from scratch now. I am preying this cures.
Toronto79
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: New Here - 32 Year Old Athletic Male From Toronto

Postby Lauren XXX » 29 Feb 2012, 03:33

Hey I have just joined the forum recently to. This has been the worst exprerience of my life and I dont feel like i can cope much longer.
I have been prescribed GTN ointment and I feel like there is an improvement and its like less pain and more discomfort.
Have you noticed anything like this?
x
Lauren XXX
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 29 Feb 2012, 10:11

Hi Toronto,
This site can be a bit scary, but keep in mind that when you follow the threads here you'll notice that eventually almost everyone finds a way to heal.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. it's just a matter of finding your own path to healing with your doctor.
Are you seeing a colon rectal surgeon? They are the best the doctor for this particular ailment. It's not that you need surgery, they just specialize in stuff like this.
Yes, definitely drink lots and lots of fluids. Eat extra veg, cut back on meat. I like to eat less in general while I am healing.
I also take metamucil as a fiber supplement. Some people feel this bulks up their stools too much, but I like it, along with a small glass of prune juice every evening.
You might also want to cut back on caffeine and alcohol while healing. Caffeine is a vascocontrictor, and you want the opposite of that.
If you can walk, that is a good exercise to bring blood to that area. The more blood brought to that area, the better for healing. That's what the nifedipine is doing.
Also, try to keep that area relaxed. People tend to hold those muscles tight because of the pain and worry, so it's good to consciously tell them to relax.
Most important, be patient. It takes time to heal.
And also, even after you feel like you are better, don't go back to your old ways too soon. The skin will be very fragile and prone to re-tear, so you want to take your time. It takes a year just for it to reach 80% of it's original strength.
Feel better soon!!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Baba » 29 Feb 2012, 11:01

Hi Toronto,
Good thing you are working from home - best place to be when you're dealing with this monstor!
As for sitting - when you sit it helps the spasms to sit on a heating pad. I find that very helpful. I find red meat and cheese to be the worst for making hard BMs.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Toronto79 » 29 Feb 2012, 14:43

Thanks for the replies. I am not seeing a CRS, as my doc hasn't given me a referral yet. I saw him today, and he says that the tear is healing and he doesn't understand why it hurts more. I am assuming it is spasming more.?.? It definitely seems tighter in there, I can't even apply the ointments deep (it this normal)???
Baba - the heating pad seems like an amazing idea, wish I thought of it earlier. Thanks.
Toronto79
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 29 Feb 2012, 14:50

Hey Toronto,
I use nifedipine, and don't need to insert it much. I mostly just rub it around the 'outer rim'. Image
It will be absorbed through the skin into your bloodstream and nearby muscle.
That's great that you are healing!
Could be spasms, could just be that you are holding your sphincter tight from stress, worry, pain. Try to consciously relax it. Like the relax feeling you get just as you start to pee.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Postby Toronto79 » 29 Feb 2012, 17:29

Thanks Tanya!!!
How long have you had the tear and how is the nifedipine working???
Toronto79
Fibre Addict

Postby Toronto79 » 29 Feb 2012, 17:32

BTW there is an excellent trial on nifedipine. Hoping I can join the successful patients.
wjgnet.com/1007-9327/12/6203.pdf
Sorry, it won't let me hyperlink cause I am new. You obviously need to add the www do the link above.
Toronto79
Fibre Addict

Postby Toronto79 » 13 Mar 2012, 02:41

2 Weeks Later....
And I feel completely healed. After a month of pain during and after BMs, and having the most painful one almost two weeks ago, I feel completely healed now. The reason it took so long to heal, is my fault. I was not doing the right things. For the past 2 weeks I have been doing the right things, and I feel much better now. Here is my routine:
Breakfast - Vega MRPs mixed in 1 litre of water
- 100 mg of docusate sodium
- Also applied nifedipine (.3%)
Lunch - 1 cup of oatmeal mixed in 500 ml of water
- 1 cup of kale blended in 500 ml of water
Snack - Vega MRPs mixed in 1 litre of water
Dinner - 4 eggs (eggs are ok with me)
- 1 cup of oatmeal mixed in 500 ml of water
Snack - 1 cup of oatmeal mixed in 500 ml of water
- 100 mg of docusate sodium
- Also had a 20 minute bath and applied nifedipine (.3%)
I highly recommend Vega. I was on it years ago, but stopped due to price. It is a vegan meal replacement, that is soy, dairy and gluten free. Very high in fibre.
I believe the 99.9% of my recover was due to diet. After switching to a super strict diet (including 5 litres of water per day), my stool was soft, small and thin. There was no blood on the stool or tissue paper, and as a result no spasms/pain after. Having said that, there was still pain during the BM. But now I have no pain at all.
I just wanted to share this. DIET, DIET, DIET! If you keep you stool as soft as possible, the tear won't keep re-opening and there will be no spasms. This will allow the tear to heal properly and hopefully lead to a full recovery.
Hope this helps.
Toronto79
Fibre Addict

Postby workingonit » 13 Mar 2012, 08:37

That's awesome Toronto!
Thank you for sharing. It always seems simple in retrospect I guess.
So glad you are healed. But IMO, be cautious for a few more weeks just in case.
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP