QUESTIONS ABOUT DILTIAZEM OINTMENT

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

QUESTIONS ABOUT DILTIAZEM OINTMENT

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 03 Mar 2012, 10:32

Hi! I am new to this forum, so thanks in advance for any help you can offer a fellow fissure sufferer.
My CRS prescribed Diltiazem ointment for a fissure. Unfortunately, he didn't give me much information on how to apply it (i.e., how much to use, how far up to rub it, etc.). My pharmacist recommended that I use a Preparation H suppository, dip it into the ointment, and then insert the suppository which would distribute the ointment.
Question: how will I know if the Diltiazem ointment is working? Will there be an immediate relief of the fissure pain and reduction of spasms? Or is the relief more gradual, over a period of days or weeks? For example, when I take ibuprofen, I can expect relief in about 30 minutes, which means I know it is working. What should I expect to see happen with the Diltiazem?
Also, my doctor had mentioned that if the Diltiazem didn't work (or if it caused headaches), I could try Nifedipine instead. Does anyone have any thoughts on Diltiazem vs. Nifedipine in regards to success/effectiveness?
Thanks!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT DILTIAZEM OINTMENT

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 03 Mar 2012, 10:38

Also, has anyone had a situation where Diltiazem actually made the pain/spasms worse?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby workingonit » 03 Mar 2012, 16:20

Hi,
Is the suppository for hemorrhoids?
IMO I wouldn't use hydrocortizone for a fissure. It thins the skin over long use and most people say it didn't actually help their fissure. I used it for 2 months and I think it made things worse.
I've used nifedipine, which is similar and I found it worked just as well if I only put it on the outside or if I put it up about the length of the last joint of my little finger (what the doc said to do).
Some people find diltiazem irritating though if it is on the outside.
I didn't actually 'feel' the nifedipine til the doc gave me a stronger one.
You might feel like your anus is a bit more relaxed, or you might not notice any difference.
You can apply the diltiazem with your little finger or if you are too sore, use a q-tip.
If you search for diltiazem, there's lots of info on it.
hope it helps you out!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby pat123 » 05 Mar 2012, 11:35

Hey,
My crs prescribed diltiazem, said to put a little ball of it on the end of a Qtip and slide in the rectal passage...
i wimp out on this as I don't want to cause more damage, but slide it in a little ways and put it on the outside. it is a bit irritating on the outside.
lately i've just been keeping my bms soft using miralax and using coconut oil on the outside where my AF is .
Hope you feel better!!
pat
pat123
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 08 Mar 2012, 17:52

I've been using diltiazem for a while now. At first when I applied it just inside, the pain was terrible (even if I used a q-tip). I think this is because I was putting ointment on an open, spasming wound. I found it MOST successful to apply it a couple or hours before your next expected BM (before, not after!). If its too painful to put inside, try applying it all around the verge so the tissues can absorb it, help it do its thang. When things begin to heal, try applying it just inside, all around.
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17