Brown Rice!

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Brown Rice!

Postby ouchtear » 22 Mar 2012, 18:36

Hi Folks,
5+ year sufferer here
I haven't been to this forum in a while mainly because It's true I have been better and usually when folks are better they tend not to want to talk about this stuff.
Anyway, besides going Gluten Free which stopped all the gas and bloating last year I was also big on Magnesium supplements. I no longer take the magnesium supplements instead I eat brown rice once a day which is rich in it. A fistfull size of Brown rice at supper time is just the right amount to give me a wonderful stool the next morning and has enough magnesium to relax the muscles to allow it all out..
So I challenge all of you to try eating Brown rice with every dinner for a week and see how you feel.
Not white rice, but some good brand or even organic brown rice.
You can buy a rice cooker that also does brown for around 30 dollars USD that does it
automatically in 20 minutes. I usually make enough for about 2 or three days.
This might change your life. It has changed mine.
What have you got to lose? besides a bloody rip in your butt.
ouchtear
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Re: Brown Rice!

Postby faithful » 22 Mar 2012, 19:58

Glad you! are better
faithful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby jax » 22 Mar 2012, 23:07

good to hear you're doing well. I agree with the brown rice statement. I noticed that it provided softer stools compared to days i ate white rice.
jax
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 28 Mar 2012, 15:46

I've definitely been on brown rice for 2-3 weeks.
It's been good for the stools, but I can't say that it's been that drastic of an improvement for me, but it certainly helps!
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby Butt, Butt, Butt... » 18 Apr 2012, 14:16

Ok, I'll bite..... what's the chief difference between white & brown rice as it impacts the digestive system?
I live in a country that subsists almost 100% on white rice, so this topic interests me considerably.
Butt, Butt, Butt...
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby jr2 » 18 Apr 2012, 14:25

White rice has been processed and stripped of the outer layers where most of the nutrients and fiber are. Brown rice is a whole grain. White rice is sort of an empty shell when it comes to nutrition, generally believed to wreak havoc with blood sugar levels and in some people can be very constipating. Because brown rice is higher in fiber and other nutrients, including magnesium, it is a healthier choice to boost nutrition and to avoid the pitfall of constipation that white rice often brings.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Butt, Butt, Butt... » 18 Apr 2012, 15:04

So I wonder why white rice is so super-incredibly common over here in Asia... you'd think that unprocessed would be more cost effective... esp. as every man, woman, child, cat and dog over here eats rice for at least 2 meals each day.
things that make you go.... Hmmmmm. Image
Butt, Butt, Butt...
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby jr2 » 18 Apr 2012, 15:23

The culture of rice in Asia probably has a lot of factors. First off, you can store white rice longer than brown rice because by stripping off the outer coating you strip away essential fatty acids that will go rancid in longer storage. There is also a notion apparently in the culture that eating brown rice is a sign of poverty while white rice is a sign of affluence, which is funny because white rice is usually less expensive than brown rice. Brown rice also takes a great deal longer to cook, so it isn't as convenient.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby BillUltra » 13 May 2012, 11:10

ouchtear wrote:Hi Folks,
5+ year sufferer here
I haven't been to this forum in a while mainly because It's true I have been better and usually when folks are better they tend not to want to talk about this stuff.
Anyway, besides going Gluten Free which stopped all the gas and bloating last year I was also big on Magnesium supplements. I no longer take the magnesium supplements instead I eat brown rice once a day which is rich in it. A fistfull size of Brown rice at supper time is just the right amount to give me a wonderful stool the next morning and has enough magnesium to relax the muscles to allow it all out..
So I challenge all of you to try eating Brown rice with every dinner for a week and see how you feel.
Not white rice, but some good brand or even organic brown rice.
You can buy a rice cooker that also does brown for around 30 dollars USD that does it
automatically in 20 minutes. I usually make enough for about 2 or three days.
This might change your life. It has changed mine.
What have you got to lose? besides a bloody rip in your butt.

I wanted to say THANK YOU for this post. I tried it, and you were exactly right for me: it fastly improved the quality of my stools, helped get rid of the bloody rip in my butt, and YES I would go as far as to say it changed my life.
I add a healthy dose of olive oil makes the healing qualities even better, and have found a little Lawry's seasoning makes the flavor much better and has not caused any problems.
Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this! I would agree it was the most important post I have read.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby whatwhat » 13 Jun 2012, 07:12

May I ask - is Wholegrain rice and brown rice the same thing?
whatwhat
Salt Bather

Topics: 7