Having skin tag removed under GA in April. Help!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Having skin tag removed under GA in April. Help!

Postby Deleted User 1339 » 23 Mar 2012, 20:10

Hi there, I'm new here and I wish I'd found this site months ago as there seem to be lots of really nice people here, who understand what everyone is going through!
To start with, I'm a girl in my mid 20s. I have what my surgeon describes as a very small skin tag. I'm having it removed in mid April under general anesthetic. My surgery is on a Thursday and I have the Friday off work, plus the weekend to recover. I plan to return to work on Monday.
I have very healthy BMs at least once a day, usually first thing in the morning, or after breakfast. I'm healthy and follow a pretty good diet. I've been trying to increase the amount of fiber I eat in the lead up to the op.
I'm really nervous about it for a couple of reasons.
1. I've never had a general anesthetic (or any other type of anesthetic) before and I'm worried about complications associated with that.
2. I'm concerned about BMs being extremely painful afterwards, the stitches dissolving before they should, and experiencing a lot of pain in general.
3. I'm worried that another skin tag, or multiple skin tags might just reappear soon after surgery anyway, making the whole process a waste of time.
Medically, there's no need for me to get the tag removed. It only causes me mild discomfort, on rare occasions. My main reason for wanting to get rid of it is for cosmetic reasons. It makes me feel really down about myself and self-conscious during sex with my partner.
Can anyone provide me with some advice or comments on how removal experience was for you? How long did it take for the wound to heal? I have an overseas holiday booked for 8 weeks after the surgery - do you think that's enough time to recover and feel comfortable traveling overseas etc?
I'd really appreciate any tips you could give me.
Thanks!
Caro
Deleted User 1339

Re: Having skin tag removed under GA in April. Help!

Postby workingonit » 23 Mar 2012, 22:38

Hi Caro,
I had a skin tag removed over a year ago, and basically wish I hadn't. I wanted to be able to wipe like the good old days before my skin tag. And it bothered me a bit when I was menstruating. It would get a bit swollen and sore.
But now I have a scar there and a new skin tag next to it with a new fissure.
It took 10 days for the tag cut to heal. They generally take 5-10 days to heal. There were no stitches. You shouldn't need any. There was no general anesthesia, just local. I don't know why you would need that for a little skin tag??? Seems pretty overkill.
My BMs were not painful at all after, but you need to be really gentle wiping. In fact I would get a peri bottle or some kind of travel/portable bidet to help clean while you heal. I did sitz baths 4 times a day for about 15 min each, til I was healed.
I felt a little sore after and stayed off my feet the first couple days while things were kinda swollen. I did not even take any advil. Although it healed in 10 days, the skin there was pretty sensitive to wiping for several months.
If it is a skin tag from an old healed fissure (called a sentinel), you need to make sure you don't get another fissure. Stick to a high fiber diet with plenty of fluids. If you get another fissure, you will likely develop another skin tag/sentinel. Some skin tags are from a healed hemorrhoid (more like a skin flap).
This is all IMO of course.
I want to make sure you understand what it is you are having removed. Because I sure didn't when I had mine removed. I thought I was having some kind of an external hemmie removed.
Anyways,
I hope this helps,
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby Tuberose » 23 Mar 2012, 22:57

Hmm, for cosmetic reasons is not worth it. You will have more pain and it will leave a scar and there are risks associated with open wounds in that area. Dont do it. Your boyfriend should understand nothing is perfect down there Image
Tuberose
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 24 Mar 2012, 09:37

Hi Caro:
I completely, totally, 110% agree with Tuberose. If it were me, I would NOT do it. While I am all for cosmetic surgery, any operation on your butt should only be done as a last resort. There are just too many things that can go wrong afterwards (see the comments from workingonit above), and that is definitely one area on your body that you do NOT want to make worse (ask anybody on here who has a fissure, hemorrhoids, etc.). If you were experiencing significant pain, or if it were interfering with your ability to have a bowel movement without straining, or if there was some other medical issue, then perhaps the surgery would be necessary. However, it sounds like this surgery is for cosmetic reasons. If it were me, I would call and cancel the surgery.
However, if you do decide to move forward, make sure you are operated on by a board-certified colorectal surgeon, NOT by a general surgeon. You definitely want someone that deals with anal issues like this all day, every day.
Good luck!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Savaici » 24 Mar 2012, 09:54

I totally agree with what has been said above. Would NOT have an operation on my rear end unless it was absolutely essential, and I speak from experience.
It is not to say that you would, but you could get more problems with scar tissue from having the surgery than just leaving it alone and accepting it as being part of your body.
Think very carefully about having this surgery done, and if you do decide to go ahead with it, make sure that it is a Colo Rectal Surgeon (CRS) that does it.
All the best,
Sav
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Quiggles » 24 Mar 2012, 21:11

I had my skin tag removed when I had surgery for my fissure and I am 8 weeks in and still not healed. My skin tag was on the bridge right in the middle and since having it removed whenever I have any issues the area swells. If I had to do it again I don't think I would have touched the skin tag. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it tho :)
Quiggles
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Deleted User 1339 » 24 Mar 2012, 23:52

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your advice. Having 5 people recommend against doing it has certainly made me think again about the procedure.
Just to clarify, I am currently booked in with a colorectal surgeon, although I'm really not sure why she recommended general anesthesia if it is typically just done under a local.
I'll think about it some more over the next few days before canceling the appointment. Thanks again for your thoughts on this. It's so nice to talk about it openly for once :)
Deleted User 1339

Postby Lmw31 » 29 Mar 2012, 16:46

Hi Caro, so glad I've found this site & I know exactly how you feel, I have been to hospital today & been offered skin tag removal & also under GA, I too am having mine removed for cosmetic reasons & also because I feel very self conscious when I'm with my boyfriend. I feel relieved but also v anxious as to whether I am doing the right thing although the sugeon said only 10% of people regret surgery & the first two wks are the worst. My surgeon also mentioned about leaving an open wound to heal instead of stitches as they sometimes get infected so there's another decision to make :-/ but after dealing with this thing for over 10 years I feel I have to try & get rid.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do :)
Lmw31

Topics: 1