Just had LIS and needing advice

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Just had LIS and needing advice

Postby MistahJ » 02 Apr 2012, 18:21

Mellow greetings all,
Long time lurker first time poster here so sorry to just pop up out of the blue and start asking questions.
To cut a long story short, I've had a fissure that has been making my life a living hell since November last year. Six days I underwent LIS surgery. I didn't get to talk to my surgeon for very long on the morning after but he did mention that my anus was quite tight and that the fissure (which was partially healed) had re-torn during the procedure (not all that surprising I guess).
My problem is that, six days later, the pain from the fissure can still work it's way up to pre-surgery levels. Not all the time I will admit but enough that it has me worried. Has anyone else experienced this?
It's just that I've read so many stories here about people who have felt fantastic with practically no pain immediately after surgery. And considering the fact that it took every dollar that I could scrape together to have this surgery done privately, the thought that the surgeon may have screwed up and not cut deep enough is literally making me nauseous. I cannot afford to have this done again any time in the near future.
MistahJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Just had LIS and needing advice

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 02 Apr 2012, 19:17

Hi, Mistah -
I understand your panic . . . but you're still very early in your post-op recovery - so, it might be advisable to give yourself a lot more time to heal from the surgery, before thinking it hasn't worked. Just healing from the LIS can take time - and people's healing times are different. I think I'm a slow healer, because I've really had to be patient my recovery.
Yes, it's true that some people heal quickly and go on about their business. Others take longer. I had both an LIS and a fissurectomy, and I'm over 2 months' past my surgery and still have some discomfort and some twinging/soreness.
After an LIS, the fissure will take time to heal. The LIS should help in that process -- but it does take time for the fissure to mend, post-LIS.
Please give yourself more time, and then see how you're feeling in a few weeks. Meanwhile, keep us posted!
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Topics: 11

Postby Davo » 02 Apr 2012, 23:36

Hi Mistah,
Sweet Bugaboo is right, it is still way too soon to jump to conclusions about your surgery at the moment. After six days post surgery your fissure will not have healed so there is still every chance you will feel the usual fissure pain. Also there is an additional wound down there from the scalpel insicion point and in the early days the discomfort from this could be confused with fissure discomfort.
You may be reffering to me when you mention about people who practically feel no pain straight from surgery. I think i part healed my fissure before surgery as i didn't really suffer that much discomfort in the days leading up to my LIS and this is probably why i have been quite fortunate post surgery.
So please give it time, it does improve but you need to allow at least 2-4 weeks to notice the difference.
Here is an article from sphincterotomy.net detailing the recovery you should expect post surgery:
Davo
---------------------------
Week 1

This is the week of patience as you will probably not see any improvement to your condition. In fact, you may still be in pain during this week. Taking care of personal hygiene is important during this time to avoid infection. You should also continue with medication prescribed and visit your doctor regularly.

Week 2

You most probably see some improvement during BM during this week. A key to recovery is to make sure you have enough of liquid and fiber intake to prevent hard stools.

Week 3

This is the week of healing. BM will be smooth and with little pain (or none at all). You could probably start doing some normal activities during this week. However, care should still be taken to continous healing.

Week 4 thereafter

After this week, you should be able to start work and your normal activities again. You should feel glad that you took sphincterotomy. BM is painless and spasms rarely occur. Although full recovery may take up to 2 months, with the right care, many sphincterotomy patients see recovery much earlier.
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby MistahJ » 03 Apr 2012, 17:50

Thank you very much for the re-assurance, SweetB and Davo. It is very much appreciated.
I know I'm being paranoid. I guess I just want this to be over with so much that it's kind of messing with my ability to think 100% rationally. And I'm not the most patient person in the world (just ask my wife :) ) I also need to keep in mind that I have Type 2 diabetes and that tends to slow healing a little even when it's under control like mine.
One further question. Is it ok to take some light exercise one week out? I'm going positively stir-crazy inside and was wondering whether it was too soon to get out and do some walking.
MistahJ
Fibre Addict

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 03 Apr 2012, 18:08

Hi, Mistah -
and YW for whatever info/support we can give you. We've all been there - or are going through it - and this is a great forum for support.
Anyhow . . . exercise at this point in your recovery? I would be very hesitant to do too much - but there have been people here who have had a lot of energy, very soon after their surgeries. I've not been one of those - so, I'm taking my time with absolutely everything.
Walking might be alright . . . but boy, I'd sure be careful, until I was very sure things felt strong enough. JMHO.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure

Postby MistahJ » 03 Apr 2012, 18:39

Thanks, SweetB :)
Rest assured I'm not thinking of any long hikes or anything here. Just maybe a 20-30 min walk around the neighborhood or a stroll around the local mall.
I'm from Canberra, Australia and it's autumn here which is the best of all seasons in my particular area (summer=way too hot, winter=way, waaaaaay too cold) so it would be great to just get out and feel the sun on my face for a little while.
MistahJ
Fibre Addict

Postby Sweet Bugaboo » 03 Apr 2012, 19:17

MistahJ wrote:Thanks, SweetB :)
Rest assured I'm not thinking of any long hikes or anything here. Just maybe a 20-30 min walk around the neighborhood or a stroll around the local mall.
I'm from Canberra, Australia and it's autumn here which is the best of all seasons in my particular area (summer=way too hot, winter=way, waaaaaay too cold) so it would be great to just get out and feel the sun on my face for a little while.

In that case, Mistah, it sounds like getting out in the sun, a bit, might be good therapy for your soul. Part of my experience with post-op recovery is that I've had to keep myself in a positive state of mind -- so, whatever helps with that has to be a good thing.
Today, for the first time in months, I partook in a little "retail" therapy, lol. I got a little tired while out - but I'm glad I did it, just to be out in our beautiful sunshine (I'm in California). Yesterday I got my hair done -- and though my bottom got a little sore sitting in the hairdresser's chair, it was nice to do a little something for myself.
So, perhaps a short, easy walk would do you good. Just be careful and don't overdo it. --- Have you asked your crs about exercise, yet? You'll surely want to follow his advice, too.
Sweet Bugaboo
King Fissure