Is 25 to 30 surgeries a month a large amount?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Is 25 to 30 surgeries a month a large amount?

Postby mm92599 » 09 Apr 2012, 12:24

I have a colorectal surgeon in Dallas Texas who has recommended LIS without having examined me, but based upon my history with recurring fissures. He told me that he has been in practice for 25 years and performs about 25 to 30 LIS surgeries per month. That seems like a small amount of surgeries, but I was curious what others experiences were with their surgeons and how many surgeries they perform each month. I have tried everything to avoid LIS, but recently as I felt like my fissure was once again healing, I had a few bad days with bms and now I'm back to square one again. If anyone has a really good CRS near New Mexico, I would welcome the suggestions. Thank you.
mm92599
Salt Bather

Topics: 25

Re: Is 25 to 30 surgeries a month a large amount?

Postby Davo » 09 Apr 2012, 13:46

Hi there,
Firstly its a bit odd offering surgery without being examined, surely he needs to make sure it is a fissure that you have and not something else.
I would not get too hung up about the number of LIS procedures that he carries out per month, remember that CRS's dont only look after fissure patients they also perform regular surgeries for symtoms such as Haemorrhoids, Crohn's disease, Cancer, Fistula, Ulcerative colitis, etc. I think what is important is that he is carrying out LIS surgeries and that should give you the confidence that he is experienced enough in this field.
Don't worry about surgery by the way, it really is a stroll in the park!
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby mm92599 » 10 Apr 2012, 20:13

Thanks for the response Davo. I agree that it is a bit strange for a surgeon to recommend surgery without doing an exam, but his recommendation was based on the medical history and information that I provided to him in my emails. I have had 3 diagnosed fissures over a 6 year period and I am certain that I have had other fissures that weren't diagnosed because I did not see my CRS. I don't know anything about this particular surgeon other than that he seems knowledgable and stated that he did about 25 to 30 LIS surgeries per year. I had hoped I wouldn't have to make this decision, but as time goes on and the fissures continue to recur, I feel like LIS is inevitable. Thanks again for your reply.
mm92599
Salt Bather

Postby Davo » 10 Apr 2012, 22:33

Hi,
I can understand him saying that LIS might be the option but surely he would want to see the problem for himself before operating? I know if you emailed my CRS with the details the only thing he would recommend is that you visit him for a consultation and let him take a look.
Ahh in your first message you said 25 to 30 LIS surgeries per month, did you actually mean per year? 25 to 30 per year seems quite low however he can only operate if he actually has the patients who require this.
Davo
Davo

Topics: 42

Postby mm92599 » 10 Apr 2012, 23:37

Yeah I meant to say 25 to 30 per year not per month. It seems low to me too. The plan would be to do an exam and then perform lie if he still felt it was appropriate. Did you have lie? If so how was the recovery?
mm92599
Salt Bather

Postby rasmith3530 » 11 Apr 2012, 02:42

mm92599, not quite sure what to tell you about this surgeon. Like Davo, my CRS wouldn't make an assumption, even with knowledge of prior history. In my case, my CRS had treated me for AF less than a year before and still wanted to see me before making any recommendations.
Good luck,
rasmith3530
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10