How long to full healing?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How long to full healing?

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 14 Apr 2012, 09:30

I've been doing really good the past couple weeks... no blood, no pain!
I've been taking almost 3 doses of Restoralax (Miralax) a day and sticking to my diet. Decided to cut back the dose to about 2 1/4 per day, but it looks like it was a little too soon.
How much time does it take for the fissure to heal before my body can take regular poops again?
I don't like being so dependent on Restoralax at such a high dose for so long.
If everything continues well, when should I try to cut back the dosage again?
I say a Hail Mary when I poo.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Re: How long to full healing?

Postby pgre » 14 Apr 2012, 11:50

It's nice to know that you are feeling better. Regarding the miralax, if I were in your position I'd like to be pain/ blood free for atleast 2 months before reducing the dose.
Reducing the dose too soon could cause a re tear and all that agony again. I think ou should let the area heal a bit more.
Hope that helps.
pgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 14 Apr 2012, 12:30

Thanks for the time frame suggestion.
Do you know of any problems/ side effects there could be with taking this for so long?
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Postby pgre » 14 Apr 2012, 12:38

I've been taking Miralax since the beginning of Jan and I haven't had any side effects. I would be pain free for about 10 days and then I'd try to reduce the dose which would bring me back to square one. I' m currently taking a little less than a full dose and it seems to be enough for me. If you're concerned about side effects, maybe try eating 6-7 dried prunes and half the current dosage of miralax. That's what I do and it seems to help.
Are you using any topical ointments also?
Thanks
pgre
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby notmuchfunanymore » 15 Apr 2012, 10:05

I already eat a bunch of prunes throughout the day, they are my 'safe snack'. Prior to taking Miralax, I had tried lots of different things, but the only thing that really worked for the best consistency was prune juice. After about two weeks of prune juice, it ceased to be effective enough. It was then that I started on Miralax (beginning of March).
I've been on and off topical ointments, at different times they helped and other times they seemed to irritate more than anything. Now I just use coconut oil once in a while, since I'm not spasming anymore.
notmuchfunanymore
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 15 Apr 2012, 10:48

Though I don't take Miralax myself because it is too strong for me, both my GI doctor and CRS said there is no harm in taking Miralax very long term, permanently if needed. As far as dependency goes, it depends on one's perspective. The bowel will also become "dependent" on fiber to be regular. My CRS told me that the final phase of collagen in wound healing takes about 3 months from the time of healing of a wound. I've heard other time frames for this as well, some even longer. If Miralax is working for you I would stick with it. If you do get to a point where you want to start decreasing, I would do so very very slowly over a long period of time, probably over the course of a few months. Miralax is not a stimulant laxative, so in that sense it is much safer to use over the long haul than other products that work on the nerves and muscles of the bowel.
Congratulations on feeling better! I'm so happy for you Image .
jr2

Topics: 15