Did I wreck my fistula surgery ????

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Did I wreck my fistula surgery ????

Postby kevin777 » 16 Apr 2012, 23:00

I had fistula surgery one week ago. My follow up with my doctor is one week away (2 weeks post surgery)
The vicodin I was prescribed constipated me terribly. My first two movements were terrible and caused a lot of pressure. Bowel movements are better now, but .....
I'm scared that the surgery may have been a waste of time or "undone" due to the constipation and pressure afterwards. I wasn't aware of the constipation painkillers caused until researchering today, Dr did prescribe stool softners 3x a day but constipation didn't stop until I stopped the Vicodin on the 4th day
The discharge throughout the day is a "stringy" "mucous-like" clear discharge and seems good, but I think I may be getting fecal discharge after bowel movements Image
I had a bowel movement 1/2 hr before I left for work, I did soak in the tub and take a shower before driving, but there was fecal matter on the dressing when I arrived at work. Image
Could I have wrecked the surgery with the bowel movements, anyone had surgery fail b/c of constipation????
Thanks for your time.
Kevin
kevin777

Topics: 1

Re: Did I wreck my fistula surgery ????

Postby workingonit » 17 Apr 2012, 11:25

I've never heard of it wrecking fistula surgery. Wish doctors would tell patients that constipation is a common side effect of pain killers.
You might want to get a peri bottle or something to help keep clean at work. Some people here have gotten travel bidets. They are both kinda the same thing. Something to squirt the area clean with water.
Have you read some of the accounts here of fistula surgery?
like this one;
http://anal-fissure.org/spa/Arafat
If you are worried though, it doesn't hurt to call your doc and ask. Image
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby kevin777 » 17 Apr 2012, 20:13

Thanks for writing Tonya. I wish I had known about the painkillers and constipation, I asked ahead of time what medications I would have after , antibiotics etc? and they said the surgeon would decide after. My wife was there as I came out of anesthesia and she said she doesn't remember him saying anything about constipation. I just wanted to plan and do everything I could to have a good post surgery and heal but the first two movements were like nothing I had ever experienced before, I've never been constipated before, but I've never taken Vicodin before either.
I called and they said it's hard to know until I'm examined, it's possible the inside repair was affected.
The fistula is so close to the anus it's hard to tell if it's leaking from the fistula or anus.
Was curious if anybody had the unfortunate result of their surgery being "undone" by constipation
I'm definitely keeping it clean all the time.
Thanks for the link, still doing some reading. I have to wait another week for my follow up
kevin777

Postby jr2 » 17 Apr 2012, 21:30

I haven't had surgery, but yeah, it's hard to know until they examine you how your surgery is healing. There are a lot of things that can cause difficulties with healing from anal surgery, so anything is possible. It is pretty insane that you weren't warned about constipation with the Vicodin by anyone, your doctors or nurses or even pharmacist. Geez... How is your pain level now? If your pain level worsens or anything else changes for the worse, I would suggest calling up and insisting they see you sooner for followup, especially given the utter lack of information on their part when it came to postoperative instructions about Vicodin.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby kevin777 » 17 Apr 2012, 21:35

Pain level is fine, I stopped the Vicodin on the 4th day after learning it was the cause. They prescribed stool softners with the vicodin which I also took as prescribed but they weren't enough. I would have gone without the pain meds if I knew, just to be cautious, last thing I wanted was to go through with the surgery after two yrs with the fistula to have it screwed up.
At least you know what to look out for if/when you have surgery. Good luck to you
kevin777