having a rough time of things

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: having a rough time of things

Postby jr2 » 22 Apr 2012, 21:09

hi mummaof3...
yes, I take magnesium which really helps cut down on migraine attacks too! I just have to be careful with what I do because I so easily get diarrhea.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby Suze_F » 26 Apr 2012, 08:03

Jr2 how are you feeling today?
I have noticed how supportive and kind you are to everyone on this forum and wanted to send you some hope and encouragement from the UK. I think you are doing really well, all things considered and even while you are suffering you are still reaching out to others and offering help. That makes you pretty special in my book. Since your bottom remains the focus of your pain how about speaking to the doctor for a little time out with some pain medication. I think that we are all scared off taking any sort of decent pain medication because we are afraid of the side affects, which include constipation. However, if this is not a such problem for you as you tend to go too much rather than too little I wonder if there anything the doctor could prescribe for you to give you a couple of days rest from the pain? When things were really bad for me a few years ago my doctor precribed some Diazepan for a couple of days which if I am honest pretty much knocked me out on the first day I was so tired and stressed but they did help me re-group. I am certainly not suggeting any long term use of serious pain medication as a solution and you should certainly be guided by your doctor but it might be worth a chat. Kindest thoughts and wishes for a better day for you.Sx
Suze_F
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby jr2 » 26 Apr 2012, 10:32

Hi Suze!
Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging comment. Kindness, encoragement, hope and support are just as important as any medicine, maybe even more important. Your sweet thoughts mean so much to me. If i can help others with what little I know or just by giving a little support and encouragement I am happy to do that.
Fortunately I have awesome doctors who know me really well and are very good about prescribing me with painkillers because I suffer with all sorts of pain in addition to fissures. Trouble is I don't tolerate them well. I already have problems with chronic nausea, which makes eating hard enough, but the painkillers send me over the cliff with nausea and dizziness to the point where I can't eat at all. And even in me they do cause constipation problems. An occasional Ativan now and then does help some, but yeah, you do have to watch it with those, even more so than the narcotics.
I guess where I'm at now is working really hard on the mental aspects of this pain. I've lived with a lot of pain for a lot of years and I know that the power of one's mind through meditation, guided imagery, etc., can be profound. Multiple deep chronic fissures as an addition to the other pain just seems to have broken this camel's back. But I do keep trying. Many days are sacrificed to bed, but there are days now and then where more is possible. It makes those days all the sweeter.
I hope you are making some progress on the fissure front and that the diltiazem isn't stinging you so much now? Are you still using it? Returning healing kindness back your way. x
jr2

Postby sputnik » 26 Apr 2012, 12:33

hi jr2, just read this and so sorry for what your going through. My fissure also started in sept/11. I know some days are so awful and everything seems to pile up. But they eventually do get better, just to take one day at a time. I can easily write that but its hard to follow. You mentioned possible chrons. Do you have some symptoms of it. If you don't want to write about it, i'll understand. I was dx with uc in oct/07. So far mild compared to others on my support group. But scared for it to get worse. My last colonoscopy in april/11 showed possible chrons. Seeing a gastro dr. in sept/12. Sorry for rambling. I wanted to mention, have you tried the brat diet,its for diarehhea. Bananas, rice, applesauce and dry toast. Its hard because we have to treat the constipation and diarehha. For me i can have constipation and d in one day. I really hope you get better soon and try to eat something, even a little of it.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby jr2 » 26 Apr 2012, 12:51

Hi Sputnik...
Crohns has been suspected in me for many years. Unfortunately, I don't tolerate gastrointestinal tests very well, and crohns disease can at times in certain people be difficult to diagnose. The only successful tests I was ever able to have done were mostly inconclusive, but generally thought to be very severe IBS. With longstanding fissures, especially in the presence of bowel dysfunction, inflammatory bowel disease is something that has to be considered though. Like you, my bowel is also very unpredictable, which makes developing a regime that works day after day an impossibility. The BRAT diet will work great for diarrhea, but then dries things out too much. But I do have all those things in my diet, along with cooked veggies, potatoes, yams, limited amounts of fruit, small amounts of fish and chicken. I just either don't eat enough calories to keep ahead of my metabolism or i am having some sort of malabsorption problem, because I still lose weight even with eating.
One day at a time, yes. Sometimes it comes down to one breath at a time, doesn't it...
jr2

Postby sputnik » 26 Apr 2012, 14:26

yes it does. Have you ever done a cat scan of your stomach. There's no prep work but you do have to drink some sort of contrast. You should get that checked out to rule out ibd. I know the colonoscopy is horrible especially with fissures. You really need to get this checked especially if your losing weight. Please do try the cat scan. Also you mentioned you seen a crs, could you possibly try some meds for ibd, i know i'm one to talk about taking meds but considering your weight loss. Maybe they would help if you truly have ibd which i pray you don't. I really really hope you get some relief soon.
sputnik
Salt Bather

Topics: 26

Postby jr2 » 26 Apr 2012, 14:36

Yes, had one years ago. The barium you have to swallow for the contrast gave me a bowel obstruction. Took many many months to recover and tons of weight loss then too. I'm kind of in a no-win position at the moment. I can't risk any testing that might further jeopardize my weight, and yet the only testing they can do involves something I can't tolerate.
Thank you so much for your well wishes, and for caring. I also hope you're able to get relief too, and soon, for all of us!
jr2

Postby 44alegna44 » 29 Apr 2012, 11:26

Hi Jr2,
Been looking around the forum and see you everywhere Image !!!!
Jr2, I do hope that the self journaling you said you were doing, as well as the support you're offering so many others here, has helped you ease through the rough patch you were dealing with. I also hope the gratitude that I know so many here feel because you've offered them your time, care and support, reaches you and touches your mind, body and heart with a healing energy.
Thinking of you and praying for your good heath and happiness... Image
Best Wishes,
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby jr2 » 29 Apr 2012, 14:40

Angel,
Thank you so much for your sweet comment. I have been around here a bit much lately! I think it does help to help others with what we've learned so far and pass it on for anything it can do to help someone else. I think I'm also still somehow trying to find my way to living with multiple fissures as a chronic condition, among other chronic conditions. It's definitely not easy. Trying different things out to hopefully find a more peaceful way of coexisting with fissures since it doesn't appear I have much in the way of options for getting them healed.
Your good wishes mean so much, thank you again for them and I am so hoping you are seeing progress with your own healing?
jr2