Pneumatic Balloon Dilation and Skin Tag Removal -1 Week Ago

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Pneumatic Balloon Dilation and Skin Tag Removal -1 Week Ago

Postby BGAN » 26 Apr 2012, 11:25

Hello friends,
I have read this forum for some time but decided today that I would share my story. It seems that only one other contributor has had this procedure, so I thought I would share my thoughts and experience. I don't remember the other contributor's name, but he is a Marine, that's all I remember.
I underwent the above-mentioned procedure last week at the Cleveland Clinic. I was surprised to hear from others that this procedure is relativity unknown. I have had a fissure for many years. I am 28 years old and I can remember bleeding in the toilet and on toilet paper since I was 18!!!! I don't know what I was thinking by ignoring it. I guess embarrassment. Over the past couple years the bleeding began to get worse and a skin tag started to develop. The skin tag was starting to get really big over the past year or so. It would get inflamed at times and was very sensitive to wiping. BMs really hurt. There was a really sharp pain that I would get, particularly at the beginning of the BM. The bowl of water would be colored red by the time I was done. I lived like this for a long time.
I tried and failed all conservative treatment. I tried lots of fiber, I tried a cream (from the cain family) and I also tried the muscle relaxer cream that I hear about a lot on this blog. That cream actually did stop the bleeding for about a month, but it came back and came back worse. The last few months were the worst.
My CRS at the Cleveland Clinic recommended the PBD and Skin Tag Excision. I agreed. The PBD procedure involves having a balloon inserted into your anus and it's expanded for about 20 mins. While that was going on I had the skin tag removed and also underwent a sigmoidoscopy for safety. I didn't have to do any prep (as in a cleanse/enema). I was surprised when I got to the hospital that I didn't have to do it. The CRS recommended anesthesia and I agreed. The surgery was performed on an outpatient basis. I was in the hospital at 6am and in my wife's car by 11:15am.
So, we're one week post-op. Well, I think I am doing really well right now. I have resumed my normal activities, generally. As for the fissure, I think it's healing. I have not had any blood in the bowl since the surgery!! I have noticed some bright red blood on wet ones (since the surgery I have sworn off toilet paper), but I only noticed it twice and it was not a lot. After the surgery, I spent that day in bed, very sick from the drugs. I was given wayyyyy too many pain killers and it made me really sick. I kept asking for some when I woke up and they kept giving me more. I regret that now. I have only taken my RX Percocet 2x. I take Advil occasionally. I spent the next 3 days (Fri, Sat, Sun) in bed all day. My wife is amazing and she really helped me recover. I decided that I was going to be as sedentary as possible. I think that really contributed to my recovery. I have been doing a sitz bath (they gave me one at discharge) 3 times a day too. I have been eating a ton of fiber and taking a stool softener before bed. I am also drinking about 60-80 ounces of water daily. I have been eating a lot of fruit, especially for breakfast.
The only issue that I am having now is some slight discharge and bleeding during the day. The doctor told me to expect some "spotting" for 10-14 days. It is getting less each day. It's some type of clear liquid that mixes with the blood and creates a pink liquid. I know it's not fun to think about, but it's my reality. My wife bought me Depends Right Fit. They're underwear that has a liner in it. I love them. I was very saddened when I realized I would have to wear them, but I have to, so I got over it. You can't see them under your pants. I am wearing some of my looser wardrobe this week. When I am not wearing them, I like to just wear a towel (at home) and a t shirt. It's very comfortable. I really hope that this side effect stops soon. It's the one thing that's preventing me from getting back to 100 percent normal.
Incontinence was my biggest fear going into the procedure. My CRS suggested the PBD over the LIS b/c of that. There is no cutting, so the chance of incontinence is lower. There is a chance of incontinence, but it's low, a lot lower than the LIS. You can google an NIH study that gives the exact stats. I don't count this discharge to be incontinence. Well, I really hope that's not what it is. It does not have an odor and I think it's just something that is a result of the two healing cuts in me (fissure and skin tag site). It is certainly getting less each day. The stains in my Depends are getting considerably smaller each day!!!!!
Pain is almost a non issue at this point. There was some pain in the first few days, but mostly with sitting. I would suggest doing it like I did, on a Thursday and then have the weekend reserved for bed. Make sure to have a nice light week too. I have crafted myself an excellent week for this week. I chose not to go into work until 11am each morning so I could wake up, have a nice non-rushed BM, a sitz bath, and then a shower.
Phew. That's my story. I will try to keep people updated if people are interested. I can't call it a success yet, but it looks like I may be heading in that direction.
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: Pneumatic Balloon Dilation and Skin Tag Removal -1 Week Ago

Postby jr2 » 26 Apr 2012, 11:45

I really want to thank you so much for sharing your story, and I do really hope you will continue to post your progress as you recover and heal. It sounds like you have already made some amazing progress. That is really encouraging. It doesn't sound like what you're experiencing is incontinence. It sounds like it's more of a drainage issue from the skin tag removal. But of course only your doctor can tell for sure. I feel that medical dilation is really my only hope for a solution because my doctors strongly advise against LIS, but I can't travel and I can't find anyone local who performs it either. There have been a few people here who have had dilation performed, but the most dramatic results came from wecc, who I think is the person you are talking about.
It is really great to be able to read another account of the dilation procedure. I wish you the best, speediest recovery possible, and hope to hear more about your recovery as it progresses.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby BGAN » 26 Apr 2012, 11:47

Thank you for the nice reply. It is WECC, I remember that name now.
Thank you. I hope you can have the treatment you need soon.
I will post updates.
BGAN
Salt Bather

Postby jr2 » 26 Apr 2012, 12:05

Would you feel comfortable either private messaging me with the name of your physician, or posting it here?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby BGAN » 26 Apr 2012, 12:31

Sent you a PM jr
BGAN
Salt Bather

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 26 Apr 2012, 14:03

I would also love the name of your CRS. Were you happy with your CRS overall? Any review of your experience with him/her would be greatly appreciated!
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby workingonit » 26 Apr 2012, 15:30

Thanks for the info!
So nice to hear of another CRS who performs this procedure. Now if only there was someone in Canada!
Ah well....
Look forward to hearing when you are all healed!
-Tanya
workingonit
VIP

Topics: 34

Postby 44alegna44 » 26 Apr 2012, 20:22

Hi Bgan,
Congratulations on the procedure Image ! And thanks so much for joining and sharing this here!
It's true that it's not at all common practice here, in the states, and as said above, the only person I knew of that had any form of professional medical dialation was wecc. I believe he had his done at a Long Island Hospital, which is approximately a 3 hour drive from where I am in NJ. I think wecc called his procedure Standardized Anal Dialation (SAD)...is that one in the same as the Balloon procedure?
SAD is a procedure I had discussed with my CRS and she explained the resistance to this method as being the unpredictability in the amount of tearing that is actually being done to the muscle and what possible effects that tearing may or may not have down the road. I'm guessing just not enough research here yet. Was this issue discussed or addressed as any kind of risk factor with the balloon procedure?

I've had LIS and may possibly be facing medical intervention again, due to an unfortunate set-back, so I'm very interested to read your updates regarding recovery, progress and general in-sight to this procedure. I'd just really like to be fully informed of as many viable options out there as possible.
Thanks again for signing in and sharing Image ! My best wishes are with you for a full recovery from this hell we call fissures!!!!!!!
Angel Image

44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby BGAN » 27 Apr 2012, 06:42

Hi Angel,
Thank you for the nice message. Sorry to hear about your set back.
I did discuss the surgical options with my CRS. It was his opinion that the PBD is a safe treatment that would not provide any long term problems. That being said, because it is a new procedure, there is not a lot of research. However, the procedure was studied by the NIH and statistically, it's a safe procedure, but again, longitudinal research is not there.
BGAN
Salt Bather

Postby 44alegna44 » 27 Apr 2012, 07:52

Thanks BGAN! I read the research study and now understand the longevity of study results is just not there yet. I'm curious to know how bm's were initially following this procedure..if you don't mind...was there pain involved and was there still a sense of control?
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9