Back to the drawing board - unusual reaction to Miralax

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Back to the drawing board - unusual reaction to Miralax

Postby jr2 » 05 May 2012, 19:01

Well, after a couple of weeks of thinking I had finally found a combination that was working between diet, acacia fiber, a half teaspoon of Miralax, and one stool softener, it appears I have to stop the Miralax. It is causing very severe rectal burning and a searing pain in my back over my right kidney. At first I thought it was just back pain, but clearly it is related to the Miralax. The rectal burning from the Miralax seems to have led to a retear of two of my fissures, even though stools were soft and easy to pass while on it.
so the search continues... Just wanted to share this in case anyone else ever has any odd reactions to Miralax.
jr2

Topics: 15

Re: Back to the drawing board - unusual reaction to Miralax

Postby BillUltra » 05 May 2012, 20:48

YES I had the exact same reaction to Miralax. It took be a couple of days to figure out this was the problem, as it seems 99% of the people on this forum recommend it so highly.
If you're still searching, please check out my post on what worked for me and consider giving it a try:
http://anal-fissure.org/t4752-what-worked-for-me-what-didn-t-work
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 19

Postby jr2 » 05 May 2012, 21:01

Thanks BillUltra for your comment!
I saw someone else post problems with Miralax so I'm glad to know I'm not alone. At first I thought I was overreacting because I was taking so little of it, but it clearly is the source of problems for me.
My diet is similar to yours, and has been for many months, except I have to be careful of too much fiber causing bulk, and my digestive system will only tolerate small amounts of beans or split peas, and I have to be careful of calories being too low because I am very underweight.
It's so frustrating because what I need is something to work with consistency, and that just isn't possible with the wild fluctuations of my bowel function and then throw in hormonal fluctuations throughout the month and that effect on bowel function and it's even more challenging.
Every day feels like this extremely complicated biochemical experiment that I keep failing!
jr2

Postby sailorgal » 06 May 2012, 16:46

I'm sorry to hear there jr; I feel similarly, altho my system may not be quite as sensitive as yours. I liken it to steering a ship - depending on the wind and water, every little adjustment on the helm could create a severe overcorrection. it's like all the adjustments have to be intuitive to anticipate changes. Like, if I have a vicodin pill for post-BM pain, i often take a colace with it so that the vicodin doesn't make me constipated. don't know if it's more superstitious or not, but anything to try to bring comfort is worth trying. good luck on the balance game!
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby jr2 » 06 May 2012, 18:10

Sailorgal...
Yes, exactly! ... And the totally unexpected shifts in the wind keep capsizing my tiny boat! Image
jr2

Postby BillUltra » 06 May 2012, 20:02

Vicodin? Are you kidding? OMG I would just as soon stab an ice pick up my arse. There is no amount of stool softener that could counteract the hardening and constipating effect opiates have on me. And I just can't believe there is anyone with our condition who can take opiates for pain, and I can't believe any doctor would write such a prescription. I've just had to cry and bear it, because I know the price to pay a day or two later would not be worth it at any cost. So if you can, GOOD for you! My God I would love to have been able to numb that pain.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby BillUltra » 06 May 2012, 20:08

jr2 wrote:Thanks BillUltra for your comment!
I saw someone else post problems with Miralax so I'm glad to know I'm not alone. At first I thought I was overreacting because I was taking so little of it, but it clearly is the source of problems for me.
My diet is similar to yours, and has been for many months, except I have to be careful of too much fiber causing bulk, and my digestive system will only tolerate small amounts of beans or split peas, and I have to be careful of calories being too low because I am very underweight.
It's so frustrating because what I need is something to work with consistency, and that just isn't possible with the wild fluctuations of my bowel function and then throw in hormonal fluctuations throughout the month and that effect on bowel function and it's even more challenging.
Every day feels like this extremely complicated biochemical experiment that I keep failing!

I know what you mean about every day being such a complicated biochemical experiment, which is why when I found the holy grail, I ate virtually the exact same meals every day for 2 weeks.
That being said, I feel healed enough now to start small variations again. Actually at out tonight at a Chinese restaurant - chicken and broccoli with bamboo chutes, carrots and English peas. Very small amounts of chicken, but my God that sauce was delicious! So it was great, but I'm more than a little nervous about how my body will react tomorrow.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 06 May 2012, 20:20

BillUltra,
I so know that feeling. Your comment reminds me of the profound impact this affliction has on our lives. That it becomes a new normal for us to have to consider every bite and it's possible consequences. Ive lived the last 25 years like that anyway because of such severe digestive problems, but fissures as severe as the ones i have now take it to a whole new level.
Your meal sounds wonderful! Wishing you smooth sailing and calm seas :)
jr2

Postby BillUltra » 07 May 2012, 17:17

Update: No problems this morning. Several bm's, smooth and soft. Sheer ecstacy! And yesterday was my first day in TWO WEEKS without eating an entire can of Campbell's green pea soup. Please God let me never again need that stuff.
BillUltra
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby jr2 » 07 May 2012, 17:23

Hooray!
Image Image Image
jr2