1st Post Op Doc Vist -- 3 Weeks Post Op PBD & Skin Tag Rmvl

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

1st Post Op Doc Vist -- 3 Weeks Post Op PBD & Skin Tag Rmvl

Postby BGAN » 09 May 2012, 08:08

Hello friends,
Today I saw my CRS for the first time since my procedure. As many of you know I was a bit nervous due to some slight bleeding and discomfort that developed as of late.
Overall, the appointment went very well and I am very encouraged. My CRS is very encouraged as well. Apparently, after being doped up on fentenoyl, percocet and ativan, I was a bit mixed up on dates. He told me that healing time with the PBD and the Skin Tag is about 6-8 weeks. He told me that the pain that I developed after 10-14 days is normal and is similar to a burn pain. He said that sometimes with burns pain will develop during the healing process. If that is correct, and I assume it is, I am comforted. The pain is a slight and feels like a burning pain. It's not aggravated by anything and doesn't come on at any specific time (e.g. following a BM).
The CRS seemed a bit surprised about my bleeding but reassured me many times that it is healing. He said it's a bit more complex due to the excision site which is actually one site taken together with the fissure site. He said it looks like it is healing and he can tell by the new skin that is forming. I have another appt in about 3 weeks.
For my friends here, I was able to get some information. He uses a 4cm balloon that he inflates. He does not know any other doctors around the country who do it. He said that not many doctors do it at the Cleveland Clinic. He discovered the procedure because he felt like the LIS was only one option and he wanted to treat less severe fissures or first timers with an alternative to the LIS. This procedure is different than the manual dilation as that is not done with a balloon. The PBD can be done after an LIS. Additionally, a person can undergo multiple PBDs (hopefully not in my future, but it is reassuring). He said that the goal of the PBD and the LIS are the same. He fully recognizes that there is not any longitudinal evidence of the procedures success rate (and risks of course). That is something that each person will have to decide with their own family and CRS. He said that while other doctors at the Clinic don't do the PBD, they refer some AF patients to him for the PBD.
Well, that's where I am at today. I am to continue with the Sitz Baths and to continue with the fissure friendly diet. I am healing well and I am not to be shocked with bleeding and pain as this could take another 5 weeks to heal (or maybe even longer). I am doing well and I am staying calm.
He told me that I could start running again. I don't know if I am quite there yet, but it's nice to be medically cleared.
I hope I answered everyone questions. He was very gracious with me today and allowed to me ask from my list of questions (he was 20 mins late so I didn't feel bad asking all my questions!!).
Hope everyone is doing well. :)
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Re: 1st Post Op Doc Vist -- 3 Weeks Post Op PBD & Skin Tag Rmvl

Postby tiredofpain » 09 May 2012, 08:41

Hi BGAN,
Glad to know you are doin good after the PBD and your recovery is going well.
Can you please PM me the doctor's name and contact information please ?
TP
tiredofpain
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby jr2 » 09 May 2012, 10:04

BGAN
That is really great news! So glad to hear that things are healing and are on track for recovery. Thank you so much for the additional information and for asking your doctor some questions and for sharing what you learned with us. We can only hope that this is the beginning of a trend that more doctors will begin offering dilation as an option.
Continued best wishes to you in the coming days and weeks of your continued recovery!
Hooray for making progress in your healing! Image
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby 44alegna44 » 09 May 2012, 15:28

Hello my Fissure Friend :D !
Okay, so this is Image, as well as encouraging!!! I guess most importantly of all, it must be RELIEVING!!! Image !
I'm soo glad this visit, which I know must have had you so anxious, is over and done with, and concluded with a positive outlook from your CRS!!! Oh wow, you must have been "flying really high" to have mixed up those dates Image ....but I'm so glad the healing timeframe has been clarified for you now! I do hope this eases your mind, as I believe it should.
Can you tell me a little more about the excision site? What exactly is that?
I can't thank you enough for fitting those questions in for us. And, it was really nice of your doctor to field those questions and respond so thoroughly. I was really hoping there'd be a crs in my area that performs this procedure...especially now knowing that having already had lis surgery is not a factor. I was just really hoping to talk to a surgeon performing this procedure and hear their opinion about lis vs dilation for me, since I may be facing a "2nd something" soon enough. I'm sure I'll find my way though :D .
Again Bgan, I'm just glad to know you feel more at ease now and can continue on, as you have, with peace of mind once again. And please, if you do begin your running again, I'm sure I don't have to tell you....but as your friend I will....take it slow Image
Best Wishes and please keep up updated as you can Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9