superficial fissure - what do I do??

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

superficial fissure - what do I do??

Postby Sue27uk » 11 May 2012, 14:28

I have posted this in general discussion but have copied it here in the hope someone may have some advice! Here goes.......
I am unsure as to what to do and thought I would think aloud! I went for my follow up appointment on Tuesday, following one round of botox last November. I saw someone different (again!) and she did an anoscopy, which has caused me problems. She said there was one tiny superifical fissure but nothing really to see. I suppose this must mean I was healing, but now am in pain yet again. She seemed to focus more on my IBS, and has now booked me in for a flexible sigmoidoscopy to check for colitis. I have already been checked for this and don't understand why I am being put through this when it will obviously cause me pain. I will be undergoing this in a week and a half, and have no follow up appointment scheduled. She said for a superficial fissure I should not be getting the pain. In my botox examination I was told I had 2 fissures, and my doctor said he saw a 3rd after the botox which seems to have healed. I'm really confused at this next examination, feel they are grasping at straws and don't know what to do with me. I feel a bit tearful again (though not like before when I got depressed) as not sure whats going on. I was told last August my fissure was superficial, it always has been and isn't healing - somehow I don't think another camera examination is going to help. Do you think I should get a second opinion? I'm beginning to think it may be the wisest option Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: superficial fissure - what do I do??

Postby jr2 » 11 May 2012, 18:10

Sue...
I don't understand it either. A superficial fissure can indeed cause a lot of pain, so that is very confusing what you heard from your doctor. A second opinion is very wise. I wouldn't get scoped again at all unless there was a very compelling reason to do it. You put your fissure at increased risk, and really, for what benefit? It's all risk with very little to gain.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby sailorgal » 12 May 2012, 18:27

Get a second opinion - my only regret is that I didn't get one sooner and thus switch doctor's sooner. your experience feels very remeniscent of my experience with my 1st CRS. Each month I would go in pre-op and post-op and I would hear the same "it's still inflamed and angry" for up to 3 months post-op. Having a CRS that you trust and believe in is making all the difference for me now since I have changed to my 2nd one. And my newly acquired GI doc wants to do the same with me, but says he wants to wait until after the fissure heals - makes no sense to do more testing when it's still not fully healed. And despite both CRS's wanting to do an anuscope, they haven't been able to since my botox in january bcz i've remained too inflamed and they have been able to get the necessary info from an external exam (ruling out abscesses).
I remained equally confused about my situation as your are about yours until I changed doctors. And it's not that the 2nd doctor knows more answers than the first, he just has a plan of care that makes sense to me and uniquely addresses my situation whereas with my 1st doctor she seemed equally confused as I was and I had no clue as to what my plan of care was - i finally got sick of suffering thru each month only to hear the same broken record when I went back.
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Sue27uk » 13 May 2012, 02:31

Thank you Jr and Sailorgal. I have thought about it and last night broke down on my Mum. I've decided to ring the NHS and cancel the camera. Am ringing tomorrow to book an appointment with the private CRS, what I should have done in the first place. Whatever the cost, I need some better advice. Every time I have a bm the pain is gettin worse. This has made me quite low again, and feel like by looking with the anuscope has set me back months in terms of recovery. I'm almost back to what I was before :( I wish I had gone private in the first place, no matter what the cost my health and my sanity are more important. I just wish there was an end to this, after 15months it seems to be going on forever. It's my Mum's special birthday in June and I feel like I'm wrecking it cos its me thats stopping her from doing what she wants on the day. She said she just wants to share it with me but my Dad wanted to take her away and she won't go. This has affected me for too long and I intend to do something about it Image Thank you both for your replies, I hope you are both well.
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21