Spoke too soon?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Spoke too soon?

Postby sososore » 22 May 2012, 16:23

Hi, all! I had a partial LIS on Friday. Had my first BM on Saturday night and no blood or pain. Had another BM on Sunday evening and Monday morning and everything was great. I was up and running the day after surgery. I have not taken or needed any pain killers.
I had a second BM last night and there was some blood on the tissue. Tried not to freak. Felt a little sore "below", but not like pre-LIS.
I had another BM this morning and there was a thick streak up the entire BM and blood in the toilet (as I always had pre-LIS but this was the first time since after the LIS. Image Just had two more BM's (something I ate must have irritated my stomach because the BM went from normal to diarrhea). This time there were almost blood clot looking things in the toilet (although I had seen that with diarrhea pre-LIS). There was also a significant amount of blood on the tissue after the first gentle wipe and none after getting out of the tub and none now.
Surgery was only 4 days ago, but wondering if it is "normal". The surgeon never said what to expect except that I could have surgery on a Friday and go back to work on Monday.
Mary
sososore
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Spoke too soon?

Postby Fissulyna » 22 May 2012, 17:51

sososore wrote: The surgeon never said what to expect except that I could have surgery on a Friday and go back to work on Monday.
Mary

Oh yeah LOL - LOVE when they say that -NOT Image Image Some days I wish they all have LIS before they get license to perform one ; ) lol, joking to the side, it is alllll so individual that really it is impossible to "promise" somebody 4 day recovery time-frame Image
I was not a "bleeder", not even with fissure open wide, so I can not be of much help : (((, but I am sure some people bled for couple of days. Can you make a call to his office and ask if it is normal ? When do you have post-op check-up ??? Call any time you have a question , it is their job to answer and nobody knows better what amount of cutting was done and in what manner it was done than your surgeon who performed procedure.
Wishing you "fast forward" recovery Image and may you be pain free by NEXT Monady Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby 44alegna44 » 22 May 2012, 19:03

Hey Mary,
Blood/bleeding this soon into recovery is probably more expected than not :( . You've got an unhealed wound still at this point and that's gonna take time to heal :roll: . So bm's passing through there, until the incision is closed, will likely cause some "blood sightings". Diahrea, especially, is traumatic on that incision, so that's probably why you saw some additional clot looking blood Image In my case I saw blood for 10 days Image
Don't stress and try to stay off your feet as much as possible to give that incision a chance to heal. Image
Best wishes for continued healing Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby greeklion » 26 May 2012, 01:12

I had mine on friday also, I havent had the bleeding but my doc told me something that may apply to you (and evetually me). He said not to be surprised if "all the sudden " i start getting bleeding that in some cases the "scab" that formed to clot the blood post surgery can fall off and cause bleeding until a new one forms. This process may repeat during the healing time frame. On the comical side he also said a "long weekend" for recovery my surgery was on friday and lets just say 8 days later i have still not returned to work haha, but i am rapidly improving!
greeklion

Postby BGAN » 26 May 2012, 13:24

I had a manual dilation (PBD) procedure in April and I didn't bleed for the first ten days, however, after that I developed bleeding. It went from a bit on the TP to a few drops in the bowl around days 11-15. Since then (I'm heading into week 6) I've not had any bleeding at all. So, yes, I think it's normal to bleed during the healing process. Of course, keep in touch with your CRS and make sure to document all of your experiences for your first post-op visit (bring notes and questions in writing)!
I know what you mean about the clot looking stuff in the bowl. I started to get that when I was bleeding towards the end of my pre op days. I was bleeding for many many years but the last few months I started seeing clots in the bowl. So I guess I was certainly a "bleeder" pre op.
Stay calm and just take it one day at a time.
BGAN
Salt Bather

Topics: 13