How often do you go?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

How often do you go?

Postby sweetcheeks » 22 May 2012, 19:16

Embarrassing Question I know, but how often do you have a BM? I'm getting 30 grams of fiber a day and taking Miralax and going once every two to three days, is this normal? I don't really want to go everyday as I'm down for the rest of the day after I go in pain.
sweetcheeks
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: How often do you go?

Postby Baba » 22 May 2012, 20:40

Don't be embarrassed :) everybody's in the same boat here! I go once a day usually or sometimes twice. While the fissure is active it's better to go everyday as I figure the stool stored up for two or three days is going to be drier and harder to pass. But I know how it is, dreading to go because of the pain that comes on.
Baba
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Emm123 » 23 May 2012, 12:35

Lol as baba said don't be embarrassed at all. We're all here to help out. I go probably twice a day although a day or two ago I started only going once. Everyone is different tho. Are you on any stool softener or anything or you have difficulty passing? As baba is saying it could be getting dry and harder to pass but its really up to you to determine that
Emm123
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby sweetcheeks » 23 May 2012, 16:49

I'm taking Miralax and getting at least thirty grams of fiber, drinking lots of water, still only going every two or three days. I'm on a 1,000 cal a day diet and have lost 35 pounds. I went on a high protein, low carb diet that seems to have been a major contributor to causing my fissure. I have 8 more pounds to reach my goal weight, but am losing so slowly now that I'm changing my diet to include so much fiber and less protein.
sweetcheeks
Fibre Addict

Postby happyass » 23 May 2012, 18:13

when i am super stressed out, less BMs.
when i am all good and fibered up, about 2-3 a day.
i prefer twice a day actually.
i hate when i am stressed out!!!!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby sailorgal » 24 May 2012, 07:42

How tall are you/much do you weigh? 30g of fiber for a 1,000 cal/day diet sounds like it could be an issue. My GI doc recommends at least 24g of fiber/ day based on a normal 2,000 cal/day. For a 5'3" athletic build (although not so athletic lately), my AF weight loss is still in effect (i weigh 125lbs). I'm not a registered dietician, but in my training as a physiotherapist, we learned that if you are healing from any injury, not only does your body need extra calories to heal and build new tissue, falling below 1500 calories per day can delay healing because most bodies need at least more than that for basic function. it also runs the risk of depressing your metabolism into "starvation mode". Your system could be "stressed" if it's not getting enough calories. Once I got over my initial eating anxieties due to my fissure pain, I feel like the majority of my daily eating is for the purpose of "healing my fissure". Ie, enough calories with a good balance of the right kind of nutrients. Maybe increasing your calories a little might help? And/or bumping your fiber down to 25/day?
sailorgal
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby sweetcheeks » 24 May 2012, 17:50

sailorgal wrote:How tall are you/much do you weigh? 30g of fiber for a 1,000 cal/day diet sounds like it could be an issue. My GI doc recommends at least 24g of fiber/ day based on a normal 2,000 cal/day. For a 5'3" athletic build (although not so athletic lately), my AF weight loss is still in effect (i weigh 125lbs). I'm not a registered dietician, but in my training as a physiotherapist, we learned that if you are healing from any injury, not only does your body need extra calories to heal and build new tissue, falling below 1500 calories per day can delay healing because most bodies need at least more than that for basic function. it also runs the risk of depressing your metabolism into "starvation mode". Your system could be "stressed" if it's not getting enough calories. Once I got over my initial eating anxieties due to my fissure pain, I feel like the majority of my daily eating is for the purpose of "healing my fissure". Ie, enough calories with a good balance of the right kind of nutrients. Maybe increasing your calories a little might help? And/or bumping your fiber down to 25/day?

I'm 5"7, weigh 135. I am 44. I've lost 34 pounds under a medical weight loss program, high protein, low carb. I have monthly blood work, check ups ect and have 8 pounds more to loose. I had this problem mildly before, but this diet sent it into severe mode. Still, I am athletic and eating far healthier than I was. But yeah, maybe too much fiber, it makes me nauseous, gassy and miserable.
sweetcheeks
Fibre Addict