Frustrated & anxious

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Frustrated & anxious

Postby notfunanymore » 19 Jun 2012, 10:39

I've been dealing with pain and bleeding for about 3 months. It's up and down, I'll go a week or two with just mild pain, and then a week or two with pain and bleeding (from minimal to heavy) every time I use the washroom.
I was finally able to get into see a CRS last week, it had been after a period of about 2 weeks without bleeding or pain, and he said the bleeding is coming from hemms and there is a healed fissure at the anterior. I left feeling pretty good, that everything was under control.
Since the appointment, (literally the next day) I've had pain and bleeding again. I poked around a little bit, and to me, the pain, and what feels like a cut of some sort is on the right side (3 o'clock?).
He made no mention of anything in that area, but I'm quite sure there is something there, so naturally I've made myself crazy with anxiety. I've made another appointment to try to get to the bottom of this, but I read the internet too much, and everything says that lateral (3/6 o'clock) fissures are indicative of cronh's, cancer, and other horrible things, so now I'm all worried about this being something more serious than fibre can fix.
notfunanymore

Topics: 1

Re: Frustrated & anxious

Postby Neen » 19 Jun 2012, 12:10

Try not to get all freaked out! Don't self-diagnose as you will think the worst when it could be nothing. The internet is great but it is also easy to mislead because everyone is different. I had major panic attacks from reading everything on the internet about fissure surgery etc. Bottom line is...tell yourself you will get through today...Deal with tomorrow when it gets here. I am glad you have made another appt. as worrying and stress is not good . I will keep you in my prayers. in the mean time, relax and think good thoughts!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby notfunanymore » 19 Jun 2012, 12:32

Thanks Neen, I appreciate it. :)
I don't have anyone to talk to about this stuff, so it can get a little overwhelming at times. Hooray for hypochondria.
notfunanymore

Postby Neen » 19 Jun 2012, 12:39

I know notfunny...it is hard to keep it all inside. Especially the thoughts swirling around our head every minute of every day. No one can even imagine what all of this is like unless they have gone through it. But, you will get through it! and talk about hypochondria, I have self diagnosed myself with the flesh eating bacteria virus..lol...of course I dont have it, but of course i create the worst case scenario with the scratch on my arm! Feel better! Image
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby NewMummy » 20 Jun 2012, 07:08

Hi, I agree...try not to worry. Maybe it helps when I say I had a fissure at one of those "odd" positions for 3-4 months and it's now healed. I too have hemmies and I actually discovered that the tear was right where one of the hemmies appeared when i had a BM....so I just put it down to the hemmie causing a fissure in an odd place...? Since managing to shrink the hemmies my fissures (I managed to get another one after my first healed!!) healed and now I can have normal BMs without much drama. I still eat well though with lots of water and a fair bit of fibre!
So please don't panic just yet because most likely there isn't any cancer etc. going on :D Also, my CRS advised to go to hospital and get a colonoscopy done just for peace of mind to rule out any other issues. But I've put it off for now just to make sure the fissure is healed before anyone pokes around in there!!That's how confident I am that nothing else is wrong :D
Hope you feel better soon!!
NewMummy
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby notfunanymore » 20 Jun 2012, 11:05

Thanks NewMummy, that does help. Everything I've read is doom and gloom, it's helpful to hear from someone who's been in the same position.
The thing that confuses/worries me was that the CRS didn't even mention it, so my assumption is that he didn't see it. That's why I'm going back to clarify the issue. At the time of the exam it didn't hurt at all, so I wonder if it was partly healed and he just didn't notice it.
In the meantime, I'm anxiously waiting 2 weeks to get it sorted.
notfunanymore

Postby notfunanymore » 03 Jul 2012, 09:22

Just thought I'd follow up after having my appointment, in case anyone with similar concerns happens across this post.
After going to my CRS again today, I feel much less anxious.
The first visit, I was rather passive, letting the doc tell me what he thought was up. This time I was very specific this time about my concerns, and asked a lot of questions.
Last time during the exam, my fissure had healed up a bit, and wasn't painful. This time around things had been painful for a few days, and when he touched the fissure, I sure noticed.
Turns out the fissure location is at about 1030. I asked if this rang any alarms, and he said it's not indicative of other conditions, although I do have a mild case of hemms and irritation (anusitus?) that is probably an additional cause of my bleeding and pain.
Anyway, I feel a bit better now. Hopefully getting this second checkup will help alleviate my anxiety long term. I'm pretty convinced that the stress and worry is making the condition a lot worse.
notfunanymore