[b]Surgery tomorrow[/b]

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

[b]Surgery tomorrow[/b]

Postby Sarah J » 20 Jun 2012, 08:42

Hi all, my name is Sarah and I have had fissures on and off for a few years now. I am not sure if it has fully healed or if it goes away and comes back but have had relief in between. My doctor said that I needed to have the surgery done so I am scheduled for tomorrow. Image I am a little nervous but have great hope of it finally being gone for good. Image I am praying for a speedy recovery. Image I would like to know if there are any tips that may make it an easier recovery. I was thinking of taking Metamucil tonight since I cannot drink or eat after midnight tonight and I usually take it in the morning. I was also wondering if it would help to take a quick sitz bath in the morning before going. Image If you have any presurgery advice, please share. Image
Sarah J
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: [b]Surgery tomorrow[/b]

Postby Neen » 20 Jun 2012, 15:39

Get some miralax and start on it as soon as you can. Your system may be a bit off after surgery. I didnt start miralax until 2 weeks after surgery, dummy me,i was afraid of the runs. I could have prevented alot of the pain if I had taken miralax from the get go. The pain meds will constipate you some as well. I say yes to the sitz bath in the morning and frequently during days after surgery. Good luck and keep us posted!
Neen
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Ever the Optimist » 20 Jun 2012, 15:47

Sarah,
Just wanted to wish you all the best tomorrow with your surgery x I hope it goes smoothly, wish you speedy recovery and hope that you get healed very soon. I've not had LIS but heard it takes an average of a month or two to heal to be feeling "normal" again...so all the very best.
I had surgery today myself.....did everything as normal pre-op - bathed/ starved!!/ took my meds and now I just have to continue my diet and fluids as normal, REST and just take a few days off work to assist recovery. Will continue to take my stool softener, C Vit, Zinc, probiotics as usual.....
IMO continue with the Metamucil and can't see it would do you any harm to take it this evening nor would a sitz bath do you any harm either. You'll feel fresh and clean for your op too. Good luck with it all, try not to worry and stress too much and be kind to yourself and your body. Keep us updated & healing hugs xx
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby 44alegna44 » 20 Jun 2012, 19:18

Hi Sarah,
Best wishes to you tomorrow and throughout your recovery. Image
I would say just be sure to stay off your feet as much as possible, at least the first week. Plenty of rest and follow every post-op instruction to get you off to a good start. Also, don't hesitate to call your crs if anything at all concerns you, or if you're unsure of anything....the last thing you need is stress or worry during recovery.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, Image
Angel Image
44alegna44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Sarah J » 20 Jun 2012, 19:31

You all are so wonderful!! I can't tell you what it means to have you encouraging me like you have. Sometimes I feel like I am all by myself, even though my family is wonderful, because they don't know the pain. All is well though, and I will be getting some zzzzz's tomorrow, I'm sure. Thanks!
Sarah J
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5