Anoheal

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Anoheal

Postby SteveR » 13 Jul 2012, 01:13

Can anyone give me any information about Anoheal?
I started this recently - and it has been totally fantastic in terms of easier BM. I have also now stopped bleeding on a regular basis. However I have side effect that I am worried about. Basically it makes my anal muscles spasm and cramp really strongly. About 1 hour after BM I get cramps that can make me catch my breath - basically I have to sit and wait for about 4 hours for them to go before I recover. Then if I walk fast or more quickly they will come back.
I go in for an operation again on Tuesday, in 4 days time. In the op the consultant want to examine under anesthetic, but wont promise to do anything at this stage. I am going to ask that they do botox, but not sure if they will be set up for that if I ask on the day.
Should I just hold off, work with the Anoheal which helps and live with the cramps for 4 days? I am worried after the op if I keep using it, it will slow healing.
SteveR
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Re: Anoheal

Postby dan2012 » 13 Jul 2012, 05:44

Steve,
Anoheal is basically Diltiazem, which is something many people in this forum use/used. I'm using it right now. I think side effects are not common, but they do exist - for instance, while I don't have what you describe, it does dry my stools significantly (which, according to the CRS, isn't common at all), to the point that I need to have a little of Miralax with every meal.
So what I'm trying to say is that each person might have different reactions to the same medicine. Now, given that you're concerned about affecting your healing, I think that you should give your doctor a call. But it seems that if you are seeing the signs of healing (less pain and less bleeding), the benefits are probably outweighing the side effects.
dan2012
Salt Bather

Postby SteveR » 13 Jul 2012, 11:44

Hello Dan
Thank you for that. I agree with you - I think that what I need to do for the period of the cramping is to just write of that time, organise my life around it, and take painkillers. Basically the relief of a reasonably BM without pain is fantastic, and I go for an op on Tuesday so not long to ask about this with the consultant
Thank you for the advice.
SteveR
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 13 Jul 2012, 13:10

Hi Steve,
I'm a really strong supporter of Dilitizem as I'm convinced 100 % it has helping in my fissure healing!....I found it provided almost immediate pain relief, found it "numbed" all the sensations and very interestingly, went through similar muscle spasms to yourself. I also had this constant pressure in my bum for a couple of weeks - I couldn't figure out whether it was like trapped wind or if I needed to clear my bowels but it was uncomfortable and the feeling was quite intense. I since learned that this could have been spasms but I didn't get the intense cramping as such....
This did pass however.
I used the cream for seven weeks and had a few more anal issues to deal with in the meantime!, but under my second EUA, my CRS confirmed the fissure had 100% gone!!........No need for Botox.
My opinion would be to stick it out until your EUA and then have a good chat with your CRS beforehand about your spasms & doing the Botox if they feel the fissure is bad enough to do so. If you can manage with the painkillers until then, great.
If your EUA is scheduled and they have time, they may well do Botox at the same time depending on their diagnosis of the fissure.
Post op, I think sometimes they prescribe the cream with Botox in some cases but most of the time, people come off the cream and are left to heal under the Botox alone.
It really depends on what the state of the fissure I guess.
I don't think it would slow your healing in any way should you have to continue to use it with Botox.
It may be that the spasms are normal and part of the healing and they just recommend you continue to use the cream for longer.....
Whatever, please keep us updated on the outcome and all the very best with your EUA next Tuesday. :)
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby dan2012 » 13 Jul 2012, 15:38

Yeah, I'm also completely convinced that Diltiazem is helping me. Although I'm not healed yet after 3 weeks, the CRS said that "it's healing" and the pain is SO MUCH better to the point I almost feel normal. And I have a detailed log of every day of this ailment (and every bowel movement and what happened during/after). My data absolutely shows that Diltiazem can work wonders.
dan2012
Salt Bather

Postby SteveR » 15 Jul 2012, 01:06

Like you, I have kept a diary of each days BM and how I feel generally. It really helps to clarify and remember how things change over time. Apart from yesterday which was a bad BM day, each day has improved, and now I am almost a week without bleeding - which is significant for me. It would be 'normal' BM if it wasn't for the fact I have a polyp that prolapsed every time I go that I have to push back in. I hope when I go for my examination under anaesthetic next Tuesday they will remove this as this will totally transform my life - although the consultant would not categorically say he would do this last time I saw him. Fingers crossed!
SteveR
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 15 Jul 2012, 03:31

Steve,
That's great news about the bleeding....
I also keep a diary to track my progress!
Sounds like you are on track and I hope your EUA sorts everything that needs to be sorted next Tuesday....
Fingers crossed for you and good luck in your continuing healing :)
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby SteveR » 16 Jul 2012, 00:09

so pissed off today. I had a difficult BM and bled for the first time in ages.
SteveR
Salt Bather

Postby Ever the Optimist » 17 Jul 2012, 11:22

So sorry Steve that you've had a bad day...
.....How are you feeling now?
At least you'll be getting it all checked out next Tues. I still think it's amazing you're getting this far without the bleeding compared to before. Hoping it's just a minor setback for you........
Ever the Optimist

Postby SteveR » 17 Jul 2012, 13:54

Thank you for your kind words. Had my op today. Will write a post tomorrow when recovered a little!
SteveR
Salt Bather