3 weeks ago today.

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

3 weeks ago today.

Postby caliman » 30 Jul 2012, 13:21

I had surgery (fissurectomy) done 3 weeks ago today. I Don't know how to explain it. I am so happy I got it done. I feel like a normal human being again. Today I woke up early and went for a jog. After over a year of dealing with the fissure, the pain, the medication, the not knowing/wondering if I would ever feel no pain again, I can tell you now that getting the surgery done, was the best thing ever. OK, the first week after the surgery is a nightmare, you wonder if you are really going to get better, the pain, the blood, is intense, it is horrible. The second week I was still in pain, but i could literally feel the progress. The leaking will be their during the first week, you can feel the pain reseeding in the second week. Right now, on the third week I feel absolutely no pain from the "area" and the leaking is completely gone. I do feel some discomfort when I have a BM, but nothing bad, and I know that pain will eventually disappear. For all of you in fear or thinking of getting the surgery done, DO IT!. Do not second guess yourselves. It is nerve wrecking wondering if you should do it, or if you have it scheduled, good for you. I should have done it a long time ago. And let me tell you, it will not go away on it's own. If you have a fissure, the pain will go and come, ALWAYS. NOW I am just so happy knowing that the pain is over and will not come back, unless I get another fissure. But that's why I have been eating better, doing things differently. I am so freakin happy.
caliman
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: 3 weeks ago today.

Postby dan2012 » 30 Jul 2012, 19:43

Hello Caliman, I'm glad that you're feeling better! It's great and reassuring to see people that completely got rid of this. I'm still struggling with mine, and while the doctor says that LIS is not the way to go yet, it might be in my future if this takes too long to heal...
Now, there is one thing you mentioned that isn't completely accurate based on what I researched. Most people DO heal without surgery. Actually, 90% heal without surgery (for acute fissures) and 2/3 or so heal chronic fissures with modern conservative treatment.
This said, in this forum you'll find many of the remaining 1/3, which over tens if not hundreds of thousands of sufferes worldwide, amounts to a big number. It's just that many that healed with conservative measured don't come back...
Of course, once you realize that you're indeed in the 1/3, surgery certainly is the way to go (95%+ success rate)
dan2012
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 01 Aug 2012, 18:08

Hi Dan:
You're absolutely correct - MOST people do heal on their own without surgery using conservative measures (unfortunately, I was not one of them and ended up having surgery). I think this is a very important point to make. If you have a fissure, you most likely will not need surgery. However, the sooner you seek treatment (i.e., from a colorectal surgeon), the better the chances are that you will heal without surgery.
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 8

Postby Strangeworldaf » 01 Aug 2012, 20:09

Its strange that my CRS today at our first meeting said he will do LIS and that too next week.....I have been suffering from Fissure from past 45 days and within this 45 days i will able to heal it twice but due to lack of guidance from my Gastro-doc i stopped the cream and diet after two weeks. Getting a good caring surgeon is very critical in treating fissure.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby thisfissurecankissmybutt » 01 Aug 2012, 20:37

Strangeworldaf:
According to my CRS, there are times when a CRS can tell that conservative measures will not work (for example, if the fissure is too deep) and surgery is necessary.
Also, there are times when you may think the fissure is healed, but it is only healed on the surface.
What did the doctor tell you about your fissure? Did you like him?
thisfissurecankissmybutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Strangeworldaf » 01 Aug 2012, 21:57

He said he did. Some 3000 LIS till today but failed to explain me why he wants to do a surgery before trying something else. He is in his 60s and seems to be a good guy but my only worry is why he is in a hurry ? Why not Botox or give time diltiazem by the way when he did checked my fissure he said its a simple fissure.
Strangeworldaf
Proctosphincteranalogist