Cancer?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Cancer?

Postby PJ » 03 Sep 2012, 20:49

I had a section of my colon removed over 20 years ago, then 18 months ago, due to a lot of pain, had a colonoscopy and endo. Once again a number of tumors were found besides another fissure. Over the last 3 months, I have developed a lot of pain, diarrhea, stomach aches, GERT, and esophagus issues. As I am a breast cancer survivor, and my gastro Dr/Surgeon is concerned with possible cancer, I am not getting more and more worried by the day. Surgery is 2 weeks from tomorrow. Has any one had their fissures developed into cancer
PJ
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Cancer?

Postby 2aussieMom » 03 Sep 2012, 23:38

I have done quite a bit of reading on this subject, and everyone seems to agree that a fissure does not cause cancer. There is some information that cancer might cause a fissure as a result of the treatments or surgery. This makes sense since with radiation and chemo used to treat the cancer can cause episodes of diarrhea or constipation. Or with a blockage of the colon you would have straining.
You've certainly have had your share of problems, but as you said, you are a survivor!
Try not to play the "what if" game with yourself. Use this time before surgery to gain strength, and to enjoy each day.
I am curious too regarding any history's of fissures and cancer with other forum members. Naturally it's something we've all thought about at some time.
My prayers are with you.
2aussieMom
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Cancer?

Postby Savaici » 04 Sep 2012, 07:35

Dear PJ,
I would agree with 2aussieMom that you spend the time as much as possible before your surgery with relaxing and pampering yourself. We have all travelled along the 'what if' road, but it doesn't help to do it. The very best that you can do is to spend this time thinking of all the good things that could happen. I convinced myself of much as I have an autoimmune disease and was bleeding, was in pain all the time, and so on and so on. Taking on more and more into my brain and down to my a$%e!
Now I try to meditate (I just think of things that please me), I massage my A gently after gently patting with wet gauze after a BM (and first patting with damp cottonelle TP), and I generally try to relax.
Hope some of the advice helps, and wish you all the best, and you will be in my thoughts.
S
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222