how to use coconut oil

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: how to use coconut oil

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 10 Mar 2013, 12:28

For anyone that uses coconut oil suppositories, how often do you put it in?
I made some I've been using and it seems like it's better to use them more often than not. My fissure hasn't bled today for instance (which is a first in about a week), and I've probably done like 6 in the past two days (I've lost count), but I'm not sure if maybe too much will inhibit healing, or if it doesn't matter. Before yesterday I was only doing them once a day or so, and I am now thinking maybe it's better to err on more.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby delasama » 10 Mar 2013, 13:29

My dr said he wouldn't recommend coconut oil in my butt, but he said it wouldn't hurt. He also said he didn't think it would help. He did have me put suppositories up my butt that made fissure worse though, so you can use coconut oil if you want. Before I started miralax I used coconut oil suppositories that I made and they seemed to feel great especially when they are cold. Although it was weird because my girl friends dog was always sniffing my butt because it smelled like the oil lol
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 10 Mar 2013, 16:37

Huh. It's made the irritation bearable, so it can't hurt.
My doctor prescribed me suppositories that I didn't end up getting because they had the same ingredient as that in hemorrhoid cream, which constricts the blood vessels and seemed to me like it wouldn't help since it'd decrease bloodflow to the area. I do use miralax, but I haven't figured out the perfect dosage apparently because sometimes it's still not soft enough. I'm just afraid of having diarrhea or having to go too often since I'm usually not at home.
lol about your girl friend's dog.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Postby venki » 12 Mar 2013, 08:23

Just a quick note about coconut oil. I remember while I was a small kid in India they applied coconut oil along with some turmeric powder if I had any cuts or wounds and it seemed to really help. It also helps to keep the skin soft and glowing, especially during winter instead of cold creams. I'm not sure about having turmeric power along with coconut oil inside the anus but coconut oil alone should help. I haven't tried it myself but I surely am going to. The only problem might be soiling of the pants since the viscosity gets low as the temp in our body is warm.
venki
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 12 Mar 2013, 15:34

venki -- I remember someone else posted about putting turmeric powder on it and it working, though I forget who or which post. I take turmeric internally, but maybe it would be better to put it on it.
Coconut oil does help, but I'm not sure it's healing it. (But anything to feel better I guess). I can say that it does work on external wounds -- I don't use anything else now, but it's tricky with this since you can't give the inside of the anus air and keep it clean constantly and it is irritated at least once a day.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Postby PIA » 15 Mar 2013, 00:18

I pour warm coconut oil into the fingers of disposable gloves then tie the ends off and put them in the freezer. When I want one i cut it off the glove and tip of the finger. I warm it in my hands till it is the size and shape that will fit. I then use it as a suppositry by inserting it through the end of the tip of the plastic. I keep my fingers on the plastic. Can't believe I am talking about this stuff. I am normally so conservative. Any way it helps take away that hot, scratchy feeling inside and makes the start of BMs so much easier. It is not messy at all. The oil must get soaked up in the BM and hopefully into the surrounding tissue. My experience for what it is worth. Xx Pia
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby coconut » 15 Mar 2013, 14:19

PIA wrote:I pour warm coconut oil into the fingers of disposable gloves then tie the ends off and put them in the freezer. When I want one i cut it off the glove and tip of the finger. I warm it in my hands till it is the size and shape that will fit. I then use it as a suppositry by inserting it through the end of the tip of the plastic. I keep my fingers on the plastic. Can't believe I am talking about this stuff. I am normally so conservative. Any way it helps take away that hot, scratchy feeling inside and makes the start of BMs so much easier. It is not messy at all. The oil must get soaked up in the BM and hopefully into the surrounding tissue. My experience for what it is worth. Xx Pia

That is pretty flippin' brilliant. I tried to make my own mold with tin foil and it was messy!
coconut
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby Rachael 1984 » 15 Mar 2013, 16:07

I roll the coconut oil into cling film and make it like a suppository. Then I put it into the fridge to harden. This does work, but the Vaseline does too. That is a good idea though with the gloves.....
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 16 Mar 2013, 17:46

If you can spare $20 you can also buy suppository molds online, 100 per package. I know you can try to make them for free, but it seems too time-consuming and frustrating if you have no free time (as a student, I don't have any time to spare anyway, or money really, but definitely no time).
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Postby PIA » 18 Mar 2013, 06:51

I am learning so much about the things you can buy online...suppsitory moulds. Image .amazing.
PIA
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4