Miralax Longterm? Safe?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Miralax Longterm? Safe?

Postby lovinglife24 » 24 Sep 2012, 15:43

Hello!
I'm a longtime reader and first time poster on this message board! Before I get to my question, I just want to say that this message board and all the different posts on here have been so helpful to me on my journey to heal my AF. Whenever I have any questions that need to be answered right away, I come here first to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. Anyways, just wanted to say how helpful these posts have been and what a great resource this site is :D
Now my question, I've been using Miralax for about 3 full months and now just starting my 4th month and I take a capful everyday. I've used it pretty consistently for the past few months, since it has helped out a lot since my AF formed back in April. I was recommended to use it by many people who have said it has helped with their AF healing. I've come a long way since I started using Miralax and I really started to feel better with consistent soft BMs after I started using it. I read on here many people stay on it until they know they are fully healed, which can be a few months to years, thus the reason I felt safe taking it daily longer than the 7 days suggested since I am not at 100%. I still have occasional bleeding here and there, so until I can fully say that the bleeding has stopped, I will try to ween myself off Miralax.
But seeing how long I've been on Miralax, even though the packaging says to only use for 7days, I'm worried now that it's been 4 months of using Miralax and I don't see myself stopping anytime soon, that I will become dependent on it and screw up my digestive system after I come off of it. Are they any risks of using it longterm? Is it safe for my body and will it become dependent on it the longer I use it? Are they any harmful side effects for using it longterm? I know people that have taken it for years and are still on it, but I'm still worried since it is not natural.
Any information or insight would be much appreciated. Thank you!
lovinglife24

Topics: 1

Re: Miralax Longterm? Safe?

Postby jr2 » 24 Sep 2012, 18:25

Hi lovinglife...
Problem is, no one can answer your question, not even a doctor. It is generally thought that Miralax is safe for long term use, even daily, even for life. There are many doctors who recommend it. But who really knows what effects could take place over time? No one knows for sure nor can anyone give a definitive answer to the question. It doesn't contain a stimulant, so because it isn't working on the nerves of the bowel it is thought it is not habit forming the way laxatives that contain stimulants are. It draws more water into the intestine to soften stool and increase frequency of bowel movements. This being the case, doctors are generally far less concerned about long term use than with other laxatives.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby lovinglife24 » 02 Oct 2012, 14:57

Thanks for the response!
For the time being, I think I will continue to use it as long as it is helping a bit.
Has anyone experienced or heard of your body building a tolerance to it? As in, does your body become used to a set amount that you need to increase your dosage to make sure Miralax has an effect on your system?
I only ask since I've noticed my BM sometimes fluctuate on texture and softness and wasn't sure if that was due to my body not being effected by the current dose of Miralax I'm taking.
Thanks again for any advice and input! :o
lovinglife24

Topics: 1

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2012, 15:31

Hi loving life,
I take movicol which I think is same as miralax, I find my BM can fluctuate too I normally take 2 sachets but sometimes 3. I've been taking it for almost 2 yrs now couldn't live without it. You should try a little more or little less until you get the right BM for you. I also take lactulose with it.
Take care 😊

Postby cherylk » 04 Oct 2012, 19:07

Ladies,
Doctors give Miralax to babies, toddlers, and children. It consists of a big molecule which is not absorbed into the body. Sometimes one's need for Miralax (amount) decreases over time. It is different for everyone. I would not be worried about using Miralax/Movicol on a long term basis. I've been taking it for over 5 years and have gone for a time with needing much less. It is much safer than using a stimulant laxative which affects the bowel; stimulants are very bad to use on a long term basis.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46