from annoying fissure to Fistula!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

from annoying fissure to Fistula!

Postby Les104 » 26 Sep 2012, 13:03

I am scared to death about having this surgery but I am tired of suffering with the itchy,smelly, burning area associated with Fistulas!
I want to do it early next year but I am not sure I can tolerate these symptoms for much longer.
So sick of this crap!
So thankful for this informative forum!
Just needed to vent!
Les104
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: from annoying fissure to Fistula!

Postby Ever the Optimist » 26 Sep 2012, 14:52

Aw Les.........Vent away! Been there, know the feeling :)
The surgery is nothing to be scared about. Honestly. It's a simple, 20 min procedure with extremely high success rates. OK there's some post op discomfort and recovery to get through, but life is so much better post op than suffering with the crappy symptoms you're currently experiencing. Try to get it done asap....don't wait!, get your life back to normal and back on track....I had a fissure first too and then developed a totally unconnected fistula! Talk about bad luck eh? Fingers crossed, it can only get better for us!...
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Les104 » 27 Sep 2012, 09:54

Thanks so much!! You just made me smile!
I am going in to talk my CRS again next week and I have written down my questions.. I was just too over whelmed the last time we met and he basically said surgery is your only option. Thanks again for your ear on this and I will update you on what's next!
Les
Les104
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 28 Sep 2012, 14:26

Good luck with the CRS Les and glad I could make you smile :) I think you may have been advised by now that surgery is your only option in truly banishing the dreaded fistula! but it's really not so bad. It is overwhelming when you're going through it and then get told you have to face the surgery, but having been there and done it now, it's really nothing to worry about. It just requires the after patience to heal, which I don't have!!!
Let us know how you get on.......and here to offer you any support you need in the meantime Image
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby ZeeZee » 28 Sep 2012, 17:41

Hey Les! As ETO said, get it done! I did, I was scared as hell and I did it on the 5th of September.. It's not bad at all.. As ETO said.. A little getting used to pre-op as the wound heals but nothng compared to wht it is now! Adopt Nike's former motto.. 'Just do it'
=)
We're here with any questions or any support.. ETO and SarahDJ also had theirs done recently..
We all agree.. It's worth it!
The guys on this forum are great!
ZeeZee
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Guest » 28 Sep 2012, 17:57

get it done! You wont regret it. Trust me... I was so scared that I put it off for 7 months! I had so many questions and I was such a chicken about it. I really over thought the whole thing. I never needed narcotic pain meds afterwards. I only needed to take Advil. The worst part is keeping it clean because it takes so long to do the sitz baths and drying it. Please dont hesitate to get it done. Look up my post called "get your fistulotomy".

Postby Les104 » 01 Oct 2012, 08:01

You guys ROCK!!! I am planning for the procedure very soon!!
Thanks again!!
Les104
Fibre Addict

Postby Ever the Optimist » 01 Oct 2012, 11:44

Great stuff Les,
All the very best to you and it really is for the best! :)
Ever the Optimist

Postby mindfulnesshealing » 13 Oct 2012, 21:12

Hi Les104, thanks for your comments and all the comments from others.
How did you know you had a Fistula? I've had a fissure since March this year, and have had puss now for 6 weeks. Is this a sign of a Fistula? I have been referred to see a CSR for an examination under anasthethic. Have you had this, and if so did they operate right away or wake you up and give you options?
Thank you for your feedback.
JBird
mindfulnesshealing
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Ever the Optimist » 15 Oct 2012, 14:54

Hey JBird,
I started with a fissure and then an abcess and a fistula and pus was certainly a symptom of the fistula. From what I've researched a fistula is more likely to pus than a fissure, which tends to bleed more, but pus discharge is still possible. I would definately go back just to make sure you don't have an infection at this stage, especially if it smells bad...It's also possible for a fissure to abscess and a fistula to form from the abscess, so glad to hear you are getting it all checked out under a EUA. I've had two and coming up for my third. The first time for me was a thorough examination and diagnosis and they advised me of the next course of action when my fistula appeared. I suspect they'll take a good look, see what's going on and then reschedule you for surgery depending on what they find. At this stage, they'll go through the options they may or may not have to take. They knew I had a fistula and advised on what courses of action they would take depending on the state of the fistula (which turned out to be very small luckily) I woke up and found they had performed a simple fistulomy. My final (I hope) EUA is a check to ensure everything has healed the way it should....
Good luck with it all and keep updating :)
Ever the Optimist