Effectiveness of Miralax

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Effectiveness of Miralax

Postby vxnova » 17 Dec 2012, 12:40

Thanks for the responses. I am currently eating foods that have high fiber like berries and veggies and dont take metamucil very often. I dont think i will take more then two capfulls of miralax a day because i get constipated. I think what i need to do is learn how to space my dosage so that i do not get constipated or get hard stool. I will see about Milk of magnesia and if i can add it to my diet. Again thanks I appreciate the responses.
vxnova
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby vxnova » 06 Mar 2013, 13:22

Hello all, i am still taking miralax twice a day and my bms have been ok but i am starting to get headaches and nightsweats which i think is due to the miralax. I did not experience this before but i think i am now because i have been taking it for so long. I am too scared to stop because i know the pain will start again. Please let me know what i should do. Thanks
vxnova
Fibre Addict

Postby delasama » 06 Mar 2013, 14:04

I don't think it's from miralax, but you never know. Miralax can dehydrate you if your not drinking enough water which could cause headache. How much are you taking? I'm taking a cap full morning and night. I thought I was allergic to it once so I just took a cap full at night.until I found out it was eczema and not a reaction to miralax.try using less blankets or get a fan that has a timer so you can be cool while falling asleep then fan automatically turns off after half hour.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby vxnova » 06 Mar 2013, 15:56

Thanks for your reply. The reason i think it is from miralax is because my stomach gets a little upset at night which is what causes me to sweat and wake when i sleep. I watch what i eat and maybe should be drinking more water. I am taking 2 caps of miralax a day and will try taking both in the morning instead of at night and see what happens.
vxnova
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 06 Mar 2013, 16:53

Maybe try and cut down to 1 1/2 capfuls and see how that feels. Try one in the morn and 1/2 at night.
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby delasama » 06 Mar 2013, 17:21

I wouldn't take two cap fulls at once. That's a lot to take at once. I would try what owmybum said.
delasama
King Fissure

Postby vxnova » 12 Mar 2013, 11:57

So i stopped miralax for a day and my symptoms went away but my stool was becoming firmer so i quickly started up agaim but now i am having same problem as before. I am trying to lower my dosage without having painful bms. Hope this thing heals soon.
vxnova
Fibre Addict

Postby delasama » 12 Mar 2013, 12:25

What are you eating everyday? I was able to lower my miralax to half cap in morning and full cap at night with the right foods.
delasama
King Fissure

Postby vxnova » 13 Mar 2013, 16:32

delasama wrote:What are you eating everyday? I was able to lower my miralax to half cap in morning and full cap at night with the right foods.

I mainly eat high fiber foods such as whole grain breads, pasta or rice along with fruit and vegetable. The only meats i really eat are fish and chicken. I have only taken 1/3 cap of miralax the past two days and everything seems to work ok but it is only a matter of time before the stool gets firm and i have to up my dosage.
vxnova
Fibre Addict

Postby vxnova » 14 Mar 2013, 11:04

So i had a hard bm yesterday with some blood on the toilet paper and i decided to give the manuka honey i have a try. I put some on a qtip and started applying inside the anus and around the fissure area. It felt a little uncomfortable for an hour and then felt ok. Apart from the honey on my boxers whenever i angel gas it wasnt bad at all. I have yet to experience a bm today but will update on the progress. I plan on applying the manuka once a day while still taking a 1/3 cap of miralax just to help things out a little.
vxnova
Fibre Addict