Saw CRS today and puzzled.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Saw CRS today and puzzled.

Postby PompeyBlue » 20 Nov 2012, 16:23

I've had a fissure since mid September. I tried glyceryl nitrate ointment for a few weeks but it did nothing - not even headaches! Switched to diltiazem cream and had immediate improvement. Much more comfortable during day but still some pain and bleeding with BMs. Last week I had several pain and blood free days but then it returned. I saw the colorectal consultant surgeon today. He examined me and confirmed I have a fissure but said 'It's having a good go at healing'. He then offered me two choices : a small operation or I could continue with cream and stool softeners to see if it will heal. I opted for the second with a back up appointment to see him again.
I am puzzled because the no surgery option seemed a no brainer to me particularly in view of his remarks about it healing. Was he just being scrupulous in offering me the choices in such a neutral way or am I missing something? Any comments welcomed please.
PompeyBlue
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Re: Saw CRS today and puzzled.

Postby owmybum » 21 Nov 2012, 05:04

Mmmmm..... That would have thrown me too!
I can't believe he offered you surgery after just 2 months... And after he said it looked like it was starting to heal.
You have made the right choice in sticking to the diltiazem and stool softeners for now... There's no reason why, at this early stage, you can't heal with them.
Did you see the actual consultant or one of his 'team'. I never get to see the same person twice, and their advice/people skills seem to vary widly. Maybe at your next appt you will see someone different. When is your next appt?
Keep going how you are... You are doing all the right things, and even with an occasional bad day thrown in, if the good days out weigh the bad you know you are headed in the right direction!
OMB xxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby PompeyBlue » 21 Nov 2012, 10:12

Thank you OMB for prompt advice. I value your opinion and am glad that you endorse my decision.
I saw the consultant himself and he mentioned two months for the follow up which seemed reasonable to me. I'm hoping I won't need it!
Good luck with all your further investigations. Such a shame diltiazem cream provokes bad reaction in you.
Best Wishes
PompeyBlue
PompeyBlue
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby owmybum » 21 Nov 2012, 13:27

Thank you PompeyBlue, I appreciate that! Likewise.... You were a voice of reason for me when I was having a holiday wobble!
Two months does sound a sensible time to have a look and re evaluate things..... Even then the thought of surgery seems a little premature!
All the best.... Keep us posted on your progress
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !