do chronic fissures actually heal eventually?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

do chronic fissures actually heal eventually?

Postby Dan_88 » 22 Nov 2012, 06:27

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I've had my fissure for about 5 months now. I had LIS surgery about 2 months ago and things are more or less exactly the same now as they were before the surgery. I have noticed that I don't get that spasm pain very often anymore, more of a intermittent pain during the 3-5 hours after I have a bowel movement. My CRS told me I would be fully healed and back to normal within 2 weeks after the surgery! I feel like this problem is taking it's toll on my mental health. My mood swings up and down depending on how I'm feeling down below. I just wanted to know has anyone had an AF which has completely healed and their life gone back to how it was before they ever had it??? I try to be positive but most of the posts I've read in forums seem to be about 'managing' the AF and I haven't heard too much about people actually returning to normal. Would appreciate any feedback or advice regarding this issue. Thanks :D
Dan_88
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: do chronic fissures actually heal eventually?

Postby jr2 » 22 Nov 2012, 11:36

Hi Dan
It's important to keep in mind that people on forums are there because they're suffering and looking for relief. The people who are healed and back to life as usual have no reason to continue posting regularly in a forum, though some generous folks who have healed do pop in now and then to offer encouragement.
Have you been back to your surgeon to have things checked out? Is the pain you are having still from the fissure or is it the surgical site? Sometimes the fissure can be healed but the site of the surgery continues to be irritated for quite some time. If it is the fissure itself are you using any topicals such as nitroglycerin, nifedipine or diltiazem to help the healing along? If it is the fissure, the LIS may have been too conservative a cut and a topical might help.
But to answer your question, yes, people do heal and get back to normal. In fact, that is what happens the majority of the time, and there is no reason to think you won't get there too. Patience runs thin for all of us, and this problem does take a mental toll for so many reasons. That's what makes forums like these so helpful. We can know we'renot alone in it, but we also have to be careful not to let the suffering have a life of its own, as if there is no hope.
Wishing you gentler days to come.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 22 Nov 2012, 13:03

Hi Dan,
I can not add any thing more... Jr2 has made some very good points!
You have just got to try and stay hopeful, if you are worried go back and see your crs and have him take a look.
Hope things improve for you
Omb
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby dan2012 » 22 Nov 2012, 16:40

Alright, I just came back here after a month or so of absence, and this is the perfect post to reply!
So here it is:
I HEALED WITHOUT SURGERY AFTER 3 MONTHS OF SUFFERING FROM A FISSURE
I had a chronic fissure for 3 hellish months (it was the second time in my life with a fissure) and I did heal with conservative treatment.
I'm still dealing with the aftermath of these terrible months and having to treat anal irritation from all the stuff I put down there, but that doesn't even come close to the actual fissure - which was confirmed healed by anoscopy. Save for some itching and occasional burning, I spend my days mostly pain and bother free, and I'm eating almost anything I want (with the exception of the things that are bad for the anal irritation, like citrus, chocolate etc).
I can't call myself "normal" right now given that the area is still getting irritated easily, but compared to my open-fissure days, boy I'm SO much better. I should post later about my irritation, which was actually caused by using the vasodilators for too long after the fissure was gone (I was using 'just in case' during a few weeks where I was completely back to normal with no burning, pain, itch etc), but even the irritation is certainly getting better now that I dropped every cream/medicine etc I was putting down there.
I'm not saying that my fissure won't ever come back, but I wanted to say that it's possible to get your life back... And actually, my doctor was very clear to say that he has never seen a fissure case in his life that didn't eventually heal for good.
dan2012
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby Dan_88 » 23 Nov 2012, 07:09

Thanks for the replies :) it's reassuring to know that I'm not alone and there are a lot of people out there dealing with the same issues and even more reassuring to hear that most people eventually heal.
jr2, I saw my surgeon twice since the surgery, once a few days afterwards, and again about 4 weeks later. At the time he told me it was unusual for it to have not healed and scheduled me for another check up in 8 weeks, which just so happens to be next thursday, so I will see what he has to say. The pain I am having isn't really that sharp pain I had prior to surgery, but more of an ache which occasionally throbs quite badly. I'm not really sure if it is the fissure or the surgical site which hurts. During the mornings before my BM I am quite pain free though and usually feel really good. I am not using any topicals because my CRS hasn't suggested anything. At the moment I am using this natural healing oil stuff which seems to keep the pain/irritation to a minimal for the majority of the time. Do you think I would be better off trying something else?
dan2012, it is nice to hear a success story! What do you think it was that healed your fissure? Were you using any particular ointment, dietary habits etc?
I was also wondering if anyone knows is exercising good or bad for the healing process?
Thanks guys :D
Dan_88
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Postby sufferer » 23 Nov 2012, 09:13

Hi Dan2012, It is so reassuring to know that chronic fissures DO heal without surgery. I am going to get a good sleep tonight just because of your post. Thank you so much for sharing. I would also like to understand in detail what worked in particular, natural remedies, ointments, lifestyle, dietary habits? Would really appreciate your inputs.
sufferer
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby shouldi » 23 Nov 2012, 11:48

Interesting reading as i have had a Chronic fissure now for a year !!! i am sheduled for botox this coming Tuesday and am so worried about it, i have had numerous GA in my time but this time i am worried .. i am so hoping that it works for me as it is really affecting my life now...
shouldi
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Postby dan2012 » 23 Nov 2012, 18:47

Hello sufferer,
I didn't do anything very special, and I'm still somewhat puzzled by what really triggered the cure. My opinion is that it was the combination of 3 things:
- Right dosing of Miralax and fibers so I wouldn't go too often to the bathroom and at the same time being able to have soft stools (at one point I was going 5x/day and it was impossible to heal this way).
- Isosorbide Dinitrate - the only medicine that really worked for me in the diltizem/nifedipine family. Unfortunately, not usually prescribed in the US or UK (I got it during a travel overseas to South America).
- REST, I was on a relaxing vacation without Disney and Hotel Marathons and got some help with my young (and hyperactive) child. I believe that young children can be a huge source of stress that delays or even prevents the healing of a fissure, unfortunately, even if we love them so much :) I think the same applies to other source of stress in life such as work (and the fissure itself...)
The healing was quite sudden - it happened over a week or so after 2-3 months of no real improvement.
I'm still dealing with a chronic irritation of the anal area and the skin tag that formed as a result of the fissure, however this is nothing compared to the actually having a fissure (it bleeds and hurts after a BM, but the pain goes away in 15-30min and isn't intense, more like a bad rash). So I'm not out of the woods yet, but the fissure itself is gone. Please note that after the sudden cure ago, I didn't even have any irritation or anything like that, I became 100% normal until the irritation set in.
dan2012
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby owmybum » 24 Nov 2012, 04:30

Dan2012,
So glad to hear you had a great, relaxing holiday.
It certainly does do wonders for the mind and body to let someone else take the strain of young children, and have a bit of time to recharge those batteries!
I, unfortunately, had a full on Disney holiday... With my children (my youngest is autistic) and am paying the price for this now!
Just remember to keep up the good work for a while longer, just to make sure!
Omb
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !