More blood=never healing?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

More blood=never healing?

Postby ajl1239 » 22 Nov 2012, 08:06

I have been taking the Nitro ointment religiously now for over a week, but I have still had a couple incidents of blood -- one today, unfortunately. Not gushing in the bowl, but the streaks on the paper.
Does every incidence of blood mean straight back to square one in terms of healing? Or is it possible I am still on the road to healing?
Someone else posted that they would like to know what it feels/looks like to be healing/healed. I would also like to know!
ajl1239
Salt Bather

Topics: 31

Re: More blood=never healing?

Postby jr2 » 22 Nov 2012, 11:38

aj
The episodes of bleeding don't necessarily mean a major setback. Yes, you can still be healing and still have occasions of bleeding. Keep in mind that in the initial days of healing while using nitro. you may initially see more bleeding because it is bringing added circulation to the area and dilating blood vessels. How is your pain level?
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby owmybum » 22 Nov 2012, 12:55

I am really puzzled about the bleeding thing too. I used to have a lot of bleeding, but very little pain. Now I have no bleeding but lots of pain. I am not healed yet, but I am assuming no blood or pain would equate healing.
Omb
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby dan2012 » 22 Nov 2012, 17:09

ajl,
You probably would be interested in the post I just posted - I had quite a bit of bleeding after my fissure was healed. The reason is what jr mentioned, basically.
During the treatment, we do a lot of stuff to the area and cleaning thoroughly can be challenging. Because of that, it's not uncommon for your anus to get irritated. Combine the thin and swollen skin of an irritated anus and vasodilators and you get the perfect recipe for bleeding, sometimes a lot (like I did).
As soon as I cut the vasodilators, the bad bleeding went away. Even without them, irritated skin CAN bleed, and in my case still bleeds a little from time to time (like specks on the stool or the paper) since my skin still hasn't fully recovered from the fissure treatment (and from my fissure diet, which actually wasn't as good as I thought when it comes to my anal skin).
Generally, no pain = no fissure. But you could also be bleeding from hemorrhoids, and in this case nitro can still make the area bleed more than otherwise would. My recommendation is to focus on getting rid of the pain, if the pain is reducing that's a *GREAT* sign and the best indication that your fissure is getting better.
I'm not saying for you to stop the nitro at all, but I'm just saying that bleeding doesn't necessarily mean a setback.
dan2012
Salt Bather

Topics: 14

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 16 Mar 2013, 17:39

dan--
First, PHEW. I know this post is ages old, but I need to thank you (if you are even on here still) for that post. The past couple days I've had significantly less pain during and practically no pain after BMs, but blood is still an issue, and the skin around my anus looks even more swollen. I was worried because I thought swollen + blood means regression in healing, but I'm sure you're right that the increased circulation would cause more blood. I sometimes bleed a lot too, even when I don't have pain.
I'm not on nitro yet, but will be soon.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby nurseebol » 16 Mar 2013, 17:47

In general I have seen wounds that bleed when they are nearly healed...but the anus is different. I have been feeling great but had bleeding too after starting the nifedepine, and I was one who never bled, so I think it is hemorrhoids and/or just more blood flow
nurseebol
Salt Bather

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 17 Mar 2013, 08:58

Hm, why do you think the anus would be different? ...Do you think bleeding is a sign of not healing?
I bleed a little either from the inside (as seen on the poop itself) or from the skin tags after nearly every bowel movement (probably like 75% of the time), but I've had virtually no pain for the past few days. Today I didn't really have any pain, but still a little blood. I'm not on any drugs, but I'm sure I do have increased bloodflow from drinking tons of tea, hot sitz baths, and still keeping up a regimen of regular exercise (though not too much).
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Postby delasama » 17 Mar 2013, 11:01

Blood could mean its trying to clot and heal. Anus is not just different, it's unpredictable! Stretching and poop scraping over fissure...it's hard to tell what's going on inside there, which is the hardest part of dealing with this shiot. I just keep drinking the miralax and hope that over time it will slowly heal naturally.
delasama
King Fissure

Topics: 31

Postby CrayonOfDarkness » 17 Mar 2013, 13:46

True, very true. Though as long as I'm not in pain, or pain is minimal, I'm seeing every soft and consistent poo as a success, blood or no blood. My expectations for how long this will take to heal are realistic I think, but it's good to imagine that you're getting better if you're feeling better.
Miralax is key all right. I don't think I'll trust not taking it for a long time.
CrayonOfDarkness
Salt Bather

Postby GGky1959 » 17 Mar 2013, 16:13

ajl1239 wrote:I have been taking the Nitro ointment religiously now for over a week, but I have still had a couple incidents of blood -- one today, unfortunately. Not gushing in the bowl, but the streaks on the paper.
Does every incidence of blood mean straight back to square one in terms of healing? Or is it possible I am still on the road to healing?
Someone else posted that they would like to know what it feels/looks like to be healing/healed. I would also like to know!

My fissure has all but healed...miraculously. I no longer have the searing pain and my bm's are back to normal. For me, healing is having a normal everyday BM without the side effects of spasms....however I still see streaks of bright red blood on my tissue paper. I am assuming I could have an internal hemmoroid up in there or a polyp....I do have a CR appointment next month and I will ask about it. Blood loss is not good no matter where it comes from. In addition to my beloved Rectiv.....I'm also now taking iron pills..to replace the blood loss...although its hardening my stool, I also still take the small cup of MM each night...so far, so good.
GGky1959
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25