swelling around rectum after botox

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

swelling around rectum after botox

Postby shouldi » 02 Dec 2012, 13:54

Is it normal to be quite swollen after botox, i am now on day 5 recovery and feel ok and am doing lots of normal things, but when i am cleaning myself i have quite a large swelling which feels like a large vein around the opening... i am still quite bruised as well
has anyone else had this after botox, i know its still early days but dont wont to leave it if there are any concerns, but dont want to go running to my doctors all the time..
shouldi
Salt Bather

Topics: 11

Re: swelling around rectum after botox

Postby richibeno » 02 Dec 2012, 15:45

hi shouldi
not to worry you but i would get to your crs to check it out you dont want any large swelling it could be an infection ect,
richibeno
VIP

Topics: 28

Postby Lauren12 » 02 Dec 2012, 16:31

Hi again shouldi
I don't know if what you describe is a normal part of the botox procedure and recovery. I understand that you don't want to go running to your doctors all the time (I'm like that too!) but I agree with richi that you should get it checked out. Did the hospital give you contact details in case you had any problems? If not, you could try leaving a message for the surgeon with his secretary, saying what you're concerned about and asking for a call back (or find his contact details on line if you don't have them). Alternatively you could go to your GP again because you have concerns about how it's developed since he last saw you. I really hate bothering doctors too, but I think it's worth it, just to set your mind at rest, and to find out if it's something that needs attention. Anything of concern should be checked out.
I'm glad you feel OK and are doing lots of normal things. :)
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby shouldi » 03 Dec 2012, 01:30

Thanks all....
had a busy day yesterday, going into town and food shopping, was out for 4 hours , with just a small ache in the bum cheeks at the end of it
the swelling seems to be getting smaller but yes is still larger there than normal, i am on antibiotics for ? infection from 1 of the injection sites so i think i will see how it goes for another couple of days and if not get it checked at the doctors.. as i have no temp, no real pain, and certainly no problems going for a BM i dont think its infection, but as you all say you never know...
going back to work today, they have been good as i am doing a slightly different job for today which will involve little sitting down. although can sit for quite a long while now with no problems.
shouldi
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 03 Dec 2012, 04:32

Good luck at work today.... Hope it's a good day for you
OMB xx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby shouldi » 03 Dec 2012, 12:45

Thanks owmybum,
I managed the shift at work, but certainly knew i had done it, so came home and put my feet up..
my coconut cream (well solid coconut) came today, so started to use that, as have read abouts the benefits on here, and to be honest will try anything now.
seem to have sorted out the quantity of prune juice needed for me as only had 1 BM today, the lump which still feels like a swollen vein is getting smaller so will see how it goes.
things are certainly feeling easier down there. :D
shouldi
Salt Bather

Postby Lauren12 » 03 Dec 2012, 13:41

Well done on your first day back at work!
I know what you mean about the prune juice. When I first started using it, I thought of it as like an ordinary fruit juice and as it tasted so delicious, I was drinking pints of the stuff! Everything went haywire with my bowels, as you might expect - then I noticed that it said on the back of the pack to take 200 ml per day. When I reduced it to that, it worked to produce one stool a day, and still does.:)
Glad the lump is getting smaller and things are feeling easier for you down there. I imagine the botox will be kicking in now, as I seem to recall it takes a few days to take effect.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby shouldi » 03 Dec 2012, 14:08

How will i know if the botox is kicking in ????
or is that a silly question ?? Image
shouldi
Salt Bather

Postby Lauren12 » 03 Dec 2012, 14:16

I'll have to stretch back in memory to answer that one! I think by the fact that you'll be experiencing less pain, because the botox inhibits the internal sphincter muscles, preventing them from spasming, or spasming as much as previously. The muscle spasms contribute to the pain and prevent fissures healing. When you have pain, the muscles spasm as a reflex action, to protect the injury. However it also causes more pain because the injury's being squeezed, and more pain in turn produces more muscle spasm - so it's a cycle. I also think spasms are meant to inhibit blood flow to the area, and adequate blood flow is necessary to healing. A great deal of the pain from a fissure is caused by muscle spasm, so when the muscles are no longer doing that, because of botox, the pain level goes down.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby shouldi » 03 Dec 2012, 14:21

ok, thanks Lauren..
i guess time will tell... its early days as yet...
shouldi
Salt Bather