Enemas

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Enemas

Postby 1hardache » 27 Dec 2012, 12:18

Hello,
Yes this thing hit suddenly about a month ago. I'm a 48 yr old male and now my life revolves around my posterior end.
I have found enemas to be a tremendous help. I did my first one just before my exam and it made going to the bathroom a ton easier. Instead of sitting there crying for an hour, things were over in seconds. Now I'm sold! Naturally I thought it weird doing it at first, but the benefits far outweigh my embarrassment.
My question is that the doctors discourage it though. Searching these forums didn't produce much information. Why?? I am VERY gentle, I've learned to do it smoothly and easily. I want to do it every day till this thing heals, or at the very least about every 2-3 days if I'm having a particularly hard time. It is SO much more preferable to struggling every day and tearing myself apart. What am I missing?
1hardache

Topics: 1

Re: Enemas

Postby jr2 » 27 Dec 2012, 15:06

Doctors will generally frown on enemas for the same reason as they do laxatives. That over time the muscles of the bowel could become dysfunctional and you get to a point where you can't have a bowel movement without them. Honestly I don't know how true this is, or even if it's a strong enough of an argument not to do them. I know of people who havebeen doing them for years. Frankly, if I could get rid of my anal pain of two years by doing daily enemas forever I probably would. In fact, interestingly, at my last doctor visit he even suggested it might be a route for me to think about since we've exhausted every other idea.
I actually have some questions, if you don't mind. What are you using? Plain water? How much do you use? Does it soften your stool ordoes it just make you have the urge to go? Do you just do it once in the morning? Do you use stool softeners as well? Do you use an enema bag or an enema bottle?
I hope you don'tmind the questions, but I'm getting desperate with the pain from fissures and the pain from what might be a hemorrhoid or something else I now need to have evaluated.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby 1hardache » 27 Dec 2012, 15:25

I tried all types. The mineral oil was supposed to help if you had a lump stuck there for a while that needed to get out, but I didn't go for over an hour after that and leaked for a day. Not fun. The phosphate made me go IMMEDIATELY spraying as I was running to the bathroom. The water one made me go in a few minutes. I'll stick with water.
I use the lubricated tip disposal bottles, about 2 bucks if you get a 6-pack in NYC. I use it only if I am having a particularly hard time. I do use Colace stool softeners, eat a high fiber diet, drink a lot of water and use calcium blocker ointment 24x7.
For me, it saves me the hour trying to relax enough to pass a BM. The entire thing comes out in a gush with that one or two seconds of pain (instead of the full hour).
News Flash - Oxycontin did NOTHING for me. I switched to Advil 400 gel caps today, and VIOLA! My pain's disappeared! Completely! Now I don't need an enema, or have to cry in pain for the 4 hours after every BM!!! I don't spasm and so I am guessing now this darn thing will finally heal!!
1hardache

Topics: 1

Postby 3 years now » 28 Dec 2012, 09:19

also, try taking olive or coconut oil orally - 2 tbsps daily - works wonders to keep things moving down there, and its natural and good for you, non-habit forming.
3 years now
Salt Bather

Topics: 9