Nitro side effects?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Nitro side effects?

Postby kyrehe » 03 Jan 2013, 06:18

Hello, all! Not sure if you remember me, but I posted her a while ago, after having some "work done".. The pain continued after about a week of healing, so I went back to my GI. My fissures had returned, even after all that work. So, I was given Nitro, against my protest, just to try. Luckily, my doc listened and gave me a super small dose of it inside a compound of Vaseline and lidocaine.
I was doing decent for a little while, however, the pain is still there during BM. It is not as severe, but the ITCHING. Oh my GOD. It has been a good two weeks(?) now.. And the itching is severe. It wakes me up at night. I assumed it was healing at first, but I.. well, I CHECKED, and they're still there, but- along with the usual looking angry fissure, I find about four, tiny little bee-sting sized welts... They itch severely and feel similar to when you have a razor burn bump.. Is this a side effect of the nitro? Or do I have some sort of weird skin issue now? I can't catch a break! I haven't contacted my GI yet, as I'm out of town until next week, and she only works certain days. I thought I'd give these little things a couple days to go away, but I can still feel them. There's one near a fissure, and the other couple are scattered around.. further away? It's super weird... Any ideas?
-kyrehe Image
kyrehe
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: Nitro side effects?

Postby cherylk » 03 Jan 2013, 08:01

I would for certain have a doctor look at those welts!! And let those of us here know what you learn!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby suzyljank » 03 Jan 2013, 08:57

Hi, Nitro's biggest side effect can be a headache. I mix my own, I get a tube of nitro-bid 2% and mix it to the strength I need with aquaphor or you could use vaseline. You can't use it for a long period of time because you get used to it. I was told to use it for a few days and then take a 2 day break and then I could start again. Maybe the lidocaine is causing your itch. Try pure coconut oil for your itching. It's supposed to be good for that. Hope you feel better soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby Lauren12 » 03 Jan 2013, 09:46

You may be allergic to one of the ingredients in the cream. I became allergic to Diltiazem cream and came up in an itchy rash. The more I used the cream, the more the rash spread. It did consist of small bumps, if I remember. I had to stop using Diltiazem cream and the CRS prescribed use of Daktacort cream and aqueous cream for a short while to get rid of the rash. I'd contact your doctor about it.
Lauren12
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby marg6043 » 04 Jan 2013, 09:38

I am very familiar with the nitro side effect of headaches and "itching", yes the itching started about 4 weeks into treatment and I dealt with it for another 3 months until I could not take it anymore.
I tried everything from yeast infection creams to cortison, the yeast infection creams help.
Then I developed a rash, even when I told the doctor about the itching and rash he didn't seem to be concern about it.
But yes it did caused me to itch beyond believe specially at night.
Sorry to hear you are having the same problem, mine went away when I stopped the cream.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby kyrehe » 04 Jan 2013, 14:55

Emailed my doctor, and she promptly replied that it sounds like a yeast infection. To which I kind of returned, "wat?" Never heard of an anal yeast infection.. as if this couldn't get any more nasty...
Went and got some miconazole. Hoping to see a difference ASAP. This has been killing me for a week!
kyrehe
Fibre Addict

Postby suzyljank » 04 Jan 2013, 15:44

Hi, I've had that yeast infection before. If you keep the area too moist with vaseline or other ointments you can definitly get a yeast infection. You can also over wash and the skin can become very dry and itchy. I personally put the nitro on a q-tip and just put a little bit inside. I also use aquaphor before a bm. It cleans up alot easier than vaseline. If your skin is really dry try coconut oil, it's natural, no chemicals. Hope your situation resolves soon. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby kyrehe » 05 Jan 2013, 06:37

It's so hard to keep everything the right.. uhm.. "humidity" down there. Especially with all of the ointment and creams.. I usually apply some, then dab off excess, just to make sure it's not a huge mess, seeing as I can't stand the feel of it when it's all.. a mess down there, guh. There's no real good way of dealing with that nasty feeling, either.
kyrehe
Fibre Addict

Postby marg6043 » 05 Jan 2013, 09:40

Yes, definitely the moist can cause itching, I know, that is why the yeast infection cream I used for the area help with the itching, even when my Gastro never said anything about what could cause the itching.
But the real relief came when I stop the nitro, no more itching, I was using it for 5 months with no real improvement to the fissures.
I hope that you find a way to get this problems resolve, I only get the area lubricate for BM then I do sitz bath and clean the area to clear the Vaseline.
Also I am very sensitive to soaps and can only use sparingly those that are organic and with no additives.
You may have to check on that also.
Itsn't that incredible, all we have to suffer with certain afflictions and the side effects of the ways and things we do and use to make things better, it seems that everything just make it worst.
But then again we have to take everything day by day.
Hope you feel better.
marg6043
King Fissure

Topics: 8

Postby kyrehe » 09 Jan 2013, 11:34

Thanks much, guys! Feeling a lot better now! Still an occasional.. itch, but nothing more, really. For now Image I guess it was yeast. Ughk. So gross. Ah well. Here's to it getting better and better~!
-ky Image
kyrehe
Fibre Addict